Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How are you impacted by the 2015 change?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
If 2015 is the same as last year regarding MQDs, I will earn about 60% of the RDMs that I would under the existing program next year.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:20 am
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
Originally Posted by infmedic
Is it safe to say that, in order to calculate my current miles under the 2015 rules, that I would take my current MQD's and multiply that by 11? Will this give me my MQM's? Are there still MQM's? I'm a DL PM with a AMEX DL Plat
As a Platinum you will only multiply by 9, Diamonds are 11.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
I can say as a non-status SM person, earning miles by AmEx Delta card, e-rewards (used to, actually not an option any more), and the 2-3 times per year Delta domestic flight, earning with the new program will be significantly worse for me. Imagine this would apply to most other infrequent, leisure travelers out there, who like to get a free economy seat now and then. Will just earn award travel far less often now.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
Switching perspectives a bit

I've been thinking quite a bit about DL's actions with this move, and while I more than empathize and often agree with most that they made their joke of a FF program now a complete debacle, the fact that many will still see 'value' in the new program got my curiosity going.

So, this is a general question to anyone, regardless of how you're impacted by this, and for a moment, it would be helpful if DL - nor any other airline - entered your mind (a clean slate, if you will):

As a paying customer, what do you stand for in terms of your expectations for the product or service you are purchasing, and the company you're purchasing it from? Asked another way, why do you choose to do business with/give your business to a particular company/airline? If it helps, replace 'airline' with 'big banks'.

I welcome/invite and genuinely appreciate any thoughts.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: Charter/Former 4 time DL Diamond now Platinum, AAExecPlat, MM+ on three carriers, more ...
Originally Posted by pdxasflyer
I've been thinking quite a bit about DL's actions with this move, and while I more than empathize and often agree with most that they made their joke of a FF program now a complete debacle, the fact that many will still see 'value' in the new program got my curiosity going.

So, this is a general question to anyone, regardless of how you're impacted by this, and for a moment, it would be helpful if DL - nor any other airline - entered your mind (a clean slate, if you will):

As a paying customer, what do you stand for in terms of your expectations for the product or service you are purchasing, and the company you're purchasing it from? Asked another way, why do you choose to do business with/give your business to a particular company/airline? If it helps, replace 'airline' with 'big banks'.

I welcome/invite and genuinely appreciate any thoughts.
Unless given a reason or reasons otherwise, I will take the most direct and most convenient flight on the best airline.

My reasons otherwise? Offer me a few personal free trips a year in Business (self and family) and upgrade me to business in the few instances where the company will not pay.

Why did I just leave Delta after 2MM? Delta has raised the cost of Business class awards substantially by cutting availability at low miles and adding tiers.
Delta has eliminated upgrades on several NYC-West Coast routes - which affects my ability to fly with my spouse in business. (I pay for her, I want to be able to upgrade her. Do you seriously think I can fly in the front without her?)
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:34 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
I'm reading the tea leaves but am assuming UA and AA will both be transitioning to this system (eventually, later if not sooner). What it means for me is I'll just drop loyalty altogether and focus earning on hotel programs (where it's already $$$ based anyway), and buy tickets based on price. I've got some international trips this year and already have spread out among multiple alliances (r/t to Europe on Virgin, to Australia on Hawaiian and to EZE on AA). Not worth the effort unless you are really a high value business traveler.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:10 am
EZE

Programs: All of em more or less
Exclamation

I estimate I will be up 5-10% now - a bit below my initial projection when I looked further back instead of looking only at most recent trips.

I continue to believe most DM and a good % of PM will earn at least as many miles as before.

But the question is really "Do you believe that more low category awards will be available?". Even if I was losing 10% on "revenue side" if my average redemption cost is better by 15% I am better off!!!! Unfortunately DL has not said much about this piece yet.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: HHonors Gold
I really only started flying Delta regularly again last year, but even then only had 7 short trips. Based on my actual trips last year here's how I would be affected:

2013 MQMs - 12255
2013 MQSs - 16
2013 MQDs - $2932
2015 MQMs - 14660

As a general member, I didn't qualify for any status in 2013 and still wouldn't under the 2015 rules (spent the minimum $, but didn't earn enough MQMs or MQSs), but I would have earned 2405 extra miles. For a business travel who only averages about 1 trip/month on relatively short, inexpensive flights, more MQMs is better, even if I don't qualify, because I can still bank them and spend them. In my case, at least, I would have benefited from this change to the program.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
I'll be affected by the changes in that soon I may be hearing about the "New American Airlines" during the pre-takeoff safety video instead of being greeted by Richard Anderson...
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:46 pm

I am not impacted by the 2015 change because I left DL 7 years ago after 1.5 million miles and a strong hunch that DL no longer deserved my loyalty or business given the direction of SkyMiles. I was right and am pleased that I've had only one paid DL flight in the last seven years. It's amusing to see DL's explanation of the wonderful improvements to SkyMiles i.e. more seats at lower mileage levels which will be made possible by this change. It's the same old song and some will no doubt continue to be deceived by it. I still have SkyMiles to burn, but I have no illusions that using them will get any easier or cheaper.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, SQ Gold
Under the new plan, I'll only be generating 40% of the RDM. Considering that about half of my short hauls and some of my long hauls are actually operated by Alaska, there's really no reason for me to stay with Delta. I can move to Alaska, fly all of the same short metal and keep flying on Delta for the long hauls, but have a much better FF program where I can actually accumulate miles to take the wife on nice vacations.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage ExecPlat, Former DL Skymiles Diamond (MM), Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by HatAndJacket
I'll be affected by the changes in that soon I may be hearing about the "New American Airlines" during the pre-takeoff safety video instead of being greeted by Richard Anderson...
But Richard has your back!! He says so in the video!
(Ok, he has your back ... with a knife in it.)
Old Feb 27, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL FO, AA

Things are a bit shaky right now, but when Delta does as I expect and reduces the redemption cost of a r/t ticket to 10,000 miles all should be fine.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by madrugada
things are a bit shaky right now, but when delta does as i expect and reduces the redemption cost of a r/t ticket to 10,000 miles all should be fine.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
I earned a little over 210k SM last year. Spent a little under $18k. Am DM this year, but will likely be PM next.
So:

under current plan:
210+k miles

under new plan as PM:
162+k miles

23% loss for me.

With this, the continued devaluation of Sky Pesos, the less than impressive enhancements to the SC, with doubling cost, and the more convenient routes that the US/AA combo will offer me, I am going to burn my SM and if AA give me a status match/challenge, I am gone.
No real benefit anymore for me to stay with Delta, even if AA does the same thing. More direct flights, less ATL mess, it is a no brainer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.