Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How are you impacted by the 2015 change?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How are you impacted by the 2015 change?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2014, 6:05 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by Bond1600
Am I calculating this correctly?

If the TPAC Econ. award seat is 140,000 miles. As a Diamond I need to spend $12,727 (11 miles per $1 spent) to earn 140,000 SM.

For $12,727 I could buy 2 round trips in WBC.
What is your point? You would have spent that 12k on other flights you would have taken and get a free BE flight thrown in.

So if you buy 2 WBC tickets (get out of the 90s, NW is no more) you get a third one free.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 6:06 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by jdb5078
This will benefit Delta in a second way that many people are probably not thinking about.

Let's use Tampa- JFK as an example- $250 Roundtrip fare

I, and many of you, have found times where the non-stops and the connection fares are the same. We intentionally book the connections, book the most out of the way hub (more miles, more miles). Ultimately, this cost Delta lots of $$. The fuel to travel the extra distance, the fuel for two take offs, that second .42 ounce bag of peanuts, double baggage handling if you checked a bag (it was free-silver medallion) etc.

Under this new model, I have no incentive to take anything but the most direct route (I'll save time, less chance of delay) Delta's cost of flying me drops dramatically... Yes, some will still do this for Medallion reasons, but I'm Silver because of Million Miler status, and I basically earn Silver anyway, so won't affect me that way.

Under the new model, I'll come out a little behind as I fly Delta primarily for leisure (less expensive) travel.

However, my business travel is primarily on USAirways. I'd love for them to adopt this, as my primary trip I make several times a month currently nets me 1250 miles roundtrip at a fare of $650. Given that I'm silver, that would be 4550 per trip.... New American.... please follow Delta's lead...

As always, some winners, some losers....
I would say most do the connections for the MQMs not the RDMs so no this will have little impact on that.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 6:15 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
As a DM

I earned roughly 255k miles last yr, under new system 213k difference of 42K

If i take out international it's only a difference of 5k.

So even with my 30k spend last yr i will be on the other side. Maybe the new tier will not be as bad of others think.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 6:21 am

Location: Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)
Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
So how will they handle currency exchange? Obviously many of their customers are not only purchasing tickets in USD. Do they use a reliable rate updated hourly like Starbucks does when using Starbucks cards overseas? Non US based customers were opted out of the MQD rules, but surely we won't be opted out of such a drastic redesign of the program.
It says in their FAQ that they'll use the 5 day IATA currency exchange rate for tickets not purchased in USD.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by MNAudiS4
I earned roughly 255k miles last yr, under new system 213k difference of 42K

If i take out international it's only a difference of 5k.

So even with my 30k spend last yr i will be on the other side. Maybe the new tier will not be as bad of others think.
The new tiers are for redemption not status, I doubt they will be lowering the miles needed at the lowest, and probably will add a new higher one. How is that helpful?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 6:29 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
I don't have the energy to go back and look at last year, but I ran my next few trips through and all but one itinerary I actually gained. The one I lost on was a really low fare and I have no idea how I got it - it was a $395 fare on a route I usually pay $700-$800. With the fare I normally pay I would come out ahead. For my international trips I come up WAY ahead.

So it looks like it is adversely affecting exactly who they want it to.

By the way, if you do not live in a hub the calculator is flawed for the old program because it does not factor in the extra legs to get to a hub. So you have to figure out what the current number really would be and then run the calculator to get the new number based on the fare (or do some simple math).

So for those it adversely affects, it sucks, and I'm sorry. But everyone complains that they dole out SM like candy and that the SC is too crowded. They are making changes to address both.

We really don't know how either of these changes will effect things until we see the new award chart and see if in fact less people are in the SC. Only time will tell.

I have to tell you all this is wearing me down; how many MQM do I need? which hotel should I stay at to maintain elite for each program? Which credit card do I use for this purchase? It's really enough to drive one crazy and I have to tell you I am glad I am close to retirement because this is getting kind of ridiculous.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 6:33 am

A lot of folks posting on miles gains/ losses in this thread. Am I missing something? How do you know what redemption prices/ availability will look like next year?

Having a couple thousand miles more next year might sound nice, but you wont care much if a coach redeption costs 500,000 miles.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:05 am

Programs: DL-DM/2.1 MM; Marriott - Plat/LT Gold, Hyatt - Plat, SPG Plat
For calendar year 2013 I had 96 MQS and received 278,240 miles for flights. The vast majority of those trips were flown in cheap seats (X,V,L,U,T). There were several international trips that kicked the miles up.

Had the new system for 2015 been in place in 2013 I would have received 377,641 miles.

So for 2013 I would have done better by over 99,000 miles under the new system.

Travel this year, so far, has all been domestic and on cheap tickets, and yet I would still be ahead roughly 4,000 miles under the new system.

Bottom line: Looks like the new system will work well for me.

My perception is that there has been considerable premium elite inflation on Delta over the past year. For example, where I used to get FC upgrades on over 90% of my flights, this year I am running around 50%.

Perhaps Delta is trying to squeeze the gamers and attract/reward the high value customers. They are without question the best run US airline, and this appears to be one more example of them mining the data to drive earnings and profitability.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
I have to tell you all this is wearing me down; how many MQM do I need? which hotel should I stay at to maintain elite for each program? Which credit card do I use for this purchase? It's really enough to drive one crazy and I have to tell you I am glad I am close to retirement because this is getting kind of ridiculous.
Wait until you retire and are flying on your own dime while trying to maintain some level of status...
Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by BenA
Please make sure to note the domestic/international mix when posting how you are affected; this change seems to make Delta dramatically more attractive for domestic travel than for international at first glance.

That's long been the salient weakness of SkyMiles; Ok for domestic redemptions, dead-last among the major carriers for international travel.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Delta has been pretty good to me over the years. I'm much more concerned with maintaining status than earning RDMs, so even though I will earn fewer RDMs under the new system I won't change my airline. Besides, I'm too lazy to spend the time and effort to learn the ins and outs of another FF program.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:48 am

Location: Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)
Originally Posted by ironcow13
A lot of folks posting on miles gains/ losses in this thread. Am I missing something? How do you know what redemption prices/ availability will look like next year?

Having a couple thousand miles more next year might sound nice, but you wont care much if a coach redeption costs 500,000 miles.
I don't even trust the accuracy of these people who are calculating gain/loss from their previous travel. Like the guy above who said he flew mostly LUTVX fares last year and earned 270k RDMs but would get 370k in the new system. That doesn't seem to add up...
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, AA PP
Is it safe to say that, in order to calculate my current miles under the 2015 rules, that I would take my current MQD's and multiply that by 11? Will this give me my MQM's? Are there still MQM's? I'm a DL PM with a AMEX DL Plat
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by infmedic
Is it safe to say that, in order to calculate my current miles under the 2015 rules, that I would take my current MQD's and multiply that by 11? Will this give me my MQM's? Are there still MQM's? I'm a DL PM with a AMEX DL Plat
Ugh, why are there so many who don't read the announcement completely and ask the same question over and over.

How MQMs are earned will not change, still miles flown in 2015..
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:14 am
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
Flights so far this year:
I have earned 18,195 RDM
If it were next year 12,636

My upcoming flights through the end of April:
My earned RDM's will be an additional 31,194
If I were doing this next year I would earn 21,600

Unless you are buying business class to Asia I don't see how this is working out on the positive. 9 x dollars for platinum, it just can't even come close to matching the 100% bonus for RDM, I am spending much more than 10 cents per mile (the threshold for MQD's), but I will lose big in rewards, unless the rewards get's much lower than what it is today.

I calculated out my last trip to Italy in a discounted Business Class seat, I earned 35,544 RDM from MSP to ATL to FCO round trip. I would only earn 28,809 under the new program. I don't see how anyone will get more miles unless they are closer to 40 cents per mile flown.

Last edited by mspreh; Feb 27, 2014 at 9:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.