Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How are you impacted by the 2015 change?

How are you impacted by the 2015 change?

Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: DL DM
Huge loss in Sky Miles earned. I fly at least one trip to Europe and one Asia trip in Y per year. I will be devastated.

Canceling my Delta Reserve once I hit $60k this fall. Will go to rewards card for >$100k credit card spend. I will fly the best schedule on the cheapest ticket from now on. No more premium paid to stay on DL.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:48 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
I have a spreadsheet that I keep track of base fare and miles flown for each trip of the year.

My average cost per mile (base fare) was $0.24 in 2013. So far this year I am closer to $0.21.

At 11 miles per dollar I should be ahead a bit in 2015.

Even if I wanted to go I wouldn't be able to. UA and AS are my only other options. UA doesn't work because of their lack of operational reliability (especially on UX flights out of the DEN hub). AS doesn't work because they only fly west from my airport. 99% of my travel is east (they also don't serve the majority of my destinations).

AA/US don't operate where I live so those aren't an option.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
I travel on DL and credit to AS. Not sure how AS would count miles now.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG PPG
Pretty big loss just based on the last 8 wks of TCON travel. I tend to go to Asia for personal travel as well which would hit me pretty hard as well.

Current model for the past 8 wks:
80,336 RDM (DM w/ 8X TCONs)

Using next year's model for actual $ spent vs MQDs:
$6,336 spend x 11pts (DM) = 69,696 miles

About a 13% devaluation which would likely be closer to 20+% if I stop booking 3 days out which I've cut back on. If by some miracle they improve mileage usability (not holding out hope here), I might actually burn down a bit of my stockpile.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
No impact on me currently. How the other programs respond is what I worrry about.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:05 pm

I'm tentatively optimistic about this change as I think it will benefit me. I'm Gold right now and achieved it through the $60K spend on Delta Reserve and putting some of my flights on Delta. I was planning on shifting about 90% of my travel to delta which would hopefully get me close to Diamond. Either way, though, I typically purchase my tickets last minute and book based on convenience over price so I think I should end up with more miles overall. I also book first class tickets when I'm wary of an upgrade which I'm guessing will up the mileage count even more.

I am a little concerned as I used to be extremely loyal to Southwest and left after they changed their program to one based on spending. I wasn't a fan of the changes and hope Delta will be very careful with any additional ones they make down the road.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum
I fly 4000 miles a week and so this year I earn 8000 miles a week. That means I'll end up with around 380-400k miles this year.

Next year, assuming same travel schedule, I fly for about $450 a week, $50 of which is taxes and fees probably, so assuming I am then a DM I earn 4400 miles a week. Which for a year would be 200-220k miles.

Or what I really should be saying is next year I'll fly AA and get 380-400k miles a year still...
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, AA, UA, WN, E+ Gold
2013:
Not counting rollover, earned a total of 129,796 (MQMs and bonus miles) in 2013.
MQD was $8026.

Had this change been in effect, my total earned miles would have been 72,234. That's pretty close to being cut in half.

How am I impacted?
For starters, I guess I'll be flying through Chicago or Dallas a whole lot more...
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by CDKing
No impact on me currently. How the other programs respond is what I worrry about.
+1 x100
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, AA, UA, WN, E+ Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
And that's the other thing. So I say adios DL and jump over to AA or UA, and the next thing I know the others follow suit..
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hhonors Diamond
I fly out of small town, Springfield, MO and make monthly trips to Richmond, VA. Will break out even when ticket price is about $400, which is oftgen the case.

I also fly international 2-3 times/ year, will lose tremendously there

example
SGF - BOM
$1600 ticket price
now 38000 miles
2015 17000 miles
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by chrisj85
Just waiting for the inevitable other shoe to drop - when DL announces that "in response to our feedback" they are implementing a purely dollar based Medallion Qualification program as well for 2016. Their SOP would be to wait until about July 2015 to announce that, when it's too late for many folks to jump ship easily.
It already is revenue based - MQD's. If they removed the additional mileage requirement that would only inflate the higher ranks. But they could remove the AMEX waiver.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
my business travel went from 30% to near zero a couple years ago ... I have only been making 4 or 5 TCONs a year for family purposes (typically in the $350-$450 range), and a couple of shorter trips of ~$250 each; by finagling an extra connection on some routings (e.g., DCA-JFK-SLC-EUG, PHL-JFK-LAX-OAK) this has come out to around 30k miles for the TCONs and around 10k for the others, and I've done long-ish MRs in Dec to keep GM

I thought MQD would be bad news, but it has occurred to me that playing the WFBF card on my TCONs (~$1000 G/A/P fares, 50% MQM bonus) the rest of this year will get me ~40-45k miles, and I can certainly live with the short trips in EC just as I've been doing

if that travel pattern continues into 2015 it probably won't hurt me too badly ... but once we move back to the real Washington, status matching to AS (and crediting earnings there) may start to look pretty good ...
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
It already is revenue based - MQD's. If they removed the additional mileage requirement that would only inflate the higher ranks. But they could remove the AMEX waiver.
I agree with this more - everyone is saying Delta will switch to make MQMs based on MQDs but why would they? At that point just make the requirement MQDs alone and double what you have to spend because that is essentially what they would be doing to a lot of travelers.

Example - I spend 5000 MQDs and 50,000 MQMs under current system and make GM. Tomorrow they change how MQMs is calculated and now I actually only earned 40,000 MQMs (as an example). So to get the other 10,000 I have to spend another 1250 MQDs. So the real requirement to being GM is $6,250 MQDs and miles don't matter at all.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:35 pm

I currently have less than 6,000 MQM's year-to-date. Under the new program I would have almost 24,000 MQM's. I have absolutely NO reason to complain, so long as the REDEMPTION side of the program isn't drastically changed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.