Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 SkyMiles Program News from Delta

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2016, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; UA 1K, 1MM; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jojojo
With apologies if this rather simple question is answered somewhere else, but I haven't been able to find it.

I want to calculate how many MQMs I will get for my planned travel, so I can decide if/when I want/need to travel to make status. At one time Delta listed miles in the schedules for each trip. They seem no longer to do so. Short of just googling distances between airports, (which would probably be pretty accurate) - is there an easy place to go that I am missing?
Try this site: http://cwsi.net/calc/default.aspx#
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
what is the current situation on mileage upgrades?

i know they added lots of new fare buckets and axed the award chart.

i am in need of a short notice M class ticket for TATL travel and the D1 cabins are pretty open so hoping I could jam through a mileage upgrade one or both directions, but i don't want to get sticker shock when i call. can i still expect 25K each way/no copay on an M class?

thanks.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:25 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I think it's gone up, and there has to be available upgrade inventory
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pvn
I think it's gone up, and there has to be available upgrade inventory
Yep I know the inventory has to be open. Based on seat maps and inventory buckets I am not worried. Really I am trying to understand what the cost might be in miles.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:44 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Yep I know the inventory has to be open. Based on seat maps and inventory buckets I am not worried. Really I am trying to understand what the cost might be in miles.
It's in the wiki of a thread you wouldn't intuitively think it's under just from the name:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...uncements.html

also it's not entirely clear whether the info posted there is still accurate. Based on my experience calling up and asking (about a domestic UG with miles) the agents may not know where to look internally either
Old Jul 26, 2016, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zorak
It's in the wiki of a thread you wouldn't intuitively think it's under just from the name:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...uncements.html

also it's not entirely clear whether the info posted there is still accurate. Based on my experience calling up and asking (about a domestic UG with miles) the agents may not know where to look internally either
per my actions today, the answer for an M fare ticket SFO-JFK-AGP is now 30K pesos, used to be 15 or 25K i think.

what a gong show. well, i am only going over for 3 days of intense meetings (12+ hr work days anticipated), so adjusting to jet lag is paramount and i took the offer since both segments were open for upgrades.

my $3200 will get me exit row seats on the way home
Old Nov 5, 2016, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Have they changed the program again? I was about to book DEL-LHR and its now pricing up at 130k. It was 85k return before?
Old Nov 6, 2016, 10:17 am
formerly oyalkut

Programs: Delta SM
Earning MQD

Hi all,

I just got my Platinum Skymiles card and trying to figure out how to earn my MQDs before year end. Between the bonus and miles flown, I will have required MQMs for Silver Medalion. But I only have about 1,400 MQDs and can't spend $25k in the next 7 weeks before the year resets. I would be willing to buy $1,600 Delta gift cards - does that count towards MQD's? Any other ideas would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
Old Nov 6, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Have they changed the program again? I was about to book DEL-LHR and its now pricing up at 130k. It was 85k return before?
Yes J class is now 65k each way Europe to/from India - UA and AA are still 42.5 each way
Old Nov 6, 2016, 11:52 am

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by oyalkut
I just got my Platinum Skymiles card and trying to figure out how to earn my MQDs before year end. Between the bonus and miles flown, I will have required MQMs for Silver Medalion. But I only have about 1,400 MQDs and can't spend $25k in the next 7 weeks before the year resets. I would be willing to buy $1,600 Delta gift cards - does that count towards MQD's? Any other ideas would be much appreciated.
Welcome to FT! Unfortunately MQDs are only counted when you fly. You'd either have to hit the $25K spend waiver by 12/31, or fly a $1600 ticket (really, $1600+ because MQDs are not earned on government taxes and fees).

This probably won't be worth it. The credit card already gives you first checked bag free and Zone 1 boarding, and $1600 will go a long way to buying things like Comfort+ outright.

You can check out this thread for a similar recent discussion of someone who was looking to maintain Silver for next year: Should I fly or should I let it get expired?
Old Nov 6, 2016, 2:57 pm
formerly oyalkut

Thank you for your reply, Zorak! I agree that doing a mialate run is not worth it; was just hoping that Delta gift card might work

If I buy a ticket now but for next year's travel date, will they credit my MQD's for 2016 when I spent it, or for 2017 when I travel?

Welcome to FT! Unfortunately MQDs are only counted when you fly. You'd either have to hit the $25K spend waiver by 12/31, or fly a $1600 ticket (really, $1600+ because MQDs are not earned on government taxes and fees).

This probably won't be worth it. The credit card already gives you first checked bag free and Zone 1 boarding, and $1600 will go a long way to buying things like Comfort+ outright.

You can check out this thread for a similar recent discussion of someone who was looking to maintain Silver for next year: Should I fly or should I let it get expired?
Old Nov 6, 2016, 3:03 pm
formerly oyalkut

Thank you for your reply, Zorak! I agree that mileage run is not worth it; was just hoping that Delta gift cards might work

If I buy a ticket now for travel dates next year, would they credit my MQDs now or after I travel? If now, I can make it happen. Otherwise I'm out of luck - already have 2 round trip Delta trips booked for 2016, but all of them are award/companion tickets.

Old Nov 6, 2016, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by oyalkut
If I buy a ticket now for travel dates next year, would they credit my MQDs now or after I travel?
MQM/MQD/MQS are all credited only after flight (or sometimes when the posting is quick, some time after pushback and before you arrive)
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
MQM/MQD/MQS are all credited only after flight (or sometimes when the posting is quick, some time after pushback and before you arrive)
+1 - and more importantly, they count toward the qualification year in which the flight was scheduled to depart.

Generally, it's just as simple as MQM/MQS/MQD count for the year when you take your flight. If you want to have fun with it, though, you could theoretically have a flight scheduled for 11:45pm on 12/31/16, and then it gets delayed until 12:15am on 1/1/17. The MQM/MQS/MQD for that flight might not post until later on 1/1, but they will count toward your 2016 numbers.

The only other thing I can think of is that usually at the end of the year, DL will sell MQMs for stupidly high $$. I'm not sure whether the money spent on those will also count toward MQDs - there has been debate in the past about whether they should, I just don't remember the outcome.

As others have said, though, would strongly encourage OP to consider whether going out of the way for those MQDs is really worth it to get Silver status. The additional downside is that the Amex bonus MQMs will effectively be wasted if he/she doesn't earn status, since there would be no rollover. Definitely a rock and a hard place if there ever was one.

Sounds like OP can afford to drop a couple thousand $$ if he/she really wats it bad enough. Perhaps a quick Thanksgiving/Christmas trip to Europe in business class is in order? Then at least you'd get a fun vacation out of it.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum
Folks, I am checking to see if I am interpreting things correctly. Let us say that I take a 20,000 mile round-trip on CI, ticketed by CI with a D (discounted business) ticket. Would I get MQD of $4,000 (20,000 x 20% per note (3) in the table)? That would be the same MQD as if I flew under a Delta ticket.

It would sure be nice to arrive in Bangkok around 10:30 AM instead of around midnight via a KE connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.