Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 SkyMiles Program News from Delta

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2016, 10:08 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Dalewood
Folks, I am checking to see if I am interpreting things correctly. Let us say that I take a 20,000 mile round-trip on CI, ticketed by CI with a D (discounted business) ticket. Would I get MQD of $4,000 (20,000 x 20% per note (3) in the table)? That would be the same MQD as if I flew under a Delta ticket.
That's correct. You'd also get 20K RDM but only 16K MQM.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum
Thanks, Zorak.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I've read DL.com and a smattering of FT posts/threads, but my brain is fried from this week so I'm looking for someone to help me answer a question.

Because of schedule restrictions, I had to book a UA/DL mixed itinerary for next week. Normally I'd just book separate tickets via the relevant airlines, but I got a clickthrough from Google Flights which took me to UA.com and seems to show I can book the DL and UA flights all on the same ticket, I assume on UA ticket stock (it's two DL flights and one UA flight). DL-marketed/metal for the DL flights, and UA-marketed/Mesa-metal for the UA flight. These are three separate "directions" - with overnight stops between each airline switch, so not like I'm connecting from a UA flight to a DL flight or vice versa.

Maybe I've been living under a rock, but I've never noticed this ability before and from an expense report/ease of use perspective I'd like to use it going forward...but I can't for the life of me figure out if doing so will mess up my ability to earn miles (both RDM and MQM/PQM) in both programs for their respective flights.

From what I can tell, so long as I have my DL FF# attached to the DL flights, I will earn MQM/RDM on those just as if I'd booked them on DL.com; and so long as I have my UA FF# attached to the UA flight, I will earn PQM/RDM on those just as if I'd booked it as a standalone on UA.com. Is that correct, or is there some sort of complication due to the fact that UA will be issuing the itinerary all on one ticket?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by gooselee
I've read DL.com and a smattering of FT posts/threads, but my brain is fried from this week so I'm looking for someone to help me answer a question.

Because of schedule restrictions, I had to book a UA/DL mixed itinerary for next week. Normally I'd just book separate tickets via the relevant airlines, but I got a clickthrough from Google Flights which took me to UA.com and seems to show I can book the DL and UA flights all on the same ticket, I assume on UA ticket stock (it's two DL flights and one UA flight). DL-marketed/metal for the DL flights, and UA-marketed/Mesa-metal for the UA flight. These are three separate "directions" - with overnight stops between each airline switch, so not like I'm connecting from a UA flight to a DL flight or vice versa.

Maybe I've been living under a rock, but I've never noticed this ability before and from an expense report/ease of use perspective I'd like to use it going forward...but I can't for the life of me figure out if doing so will mess up my ability to earn miles (both RDM and MQM/PQM) in both programs for their respective flights.

From what I can tell, so long as I have my DL FF# attached to the DL flights, I will earn MQM/RDM on those just as if I'd booked them on DL.com; and so long as I have my UA FF# attached to the UA flight, I will earn PQM/RDM on those just as if I'd booked it as a standalone on UA.com. Is that correct, or is there some sort of complication due to the fact that UA will be issuing the itinerary all on one ticket?
I believe FF# programs flow with the ticket, not the PNR. You need to identify exactly what ticket(s) you have been issued to answer this question.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by mnbp
I believe FF# programs flow with the ticket, not the PNR. You need to identify exactly what ticket(s) you have been issued to answer this question.
Not necessarily. The FF # is stored individually by each operating airline for its PNR, and you can (usually, depends on the airlines) have one FF # with one airline while another FF # with another airline's version of that same trip PNR.

For example, if you book DL flights using VS, with VS you can have it with your VS FF #, while with DL you can enter your DL FF #, but it won't overwrite or change the VS PNR to the DL FF #.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Interesting. If I end up booking through UA, I'll report back how the ticket (or tickets) end up being issued. I was assuming that it would all be issued as a single ticket, but perhaps not.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:38 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Interesting. If I end up booking through UA, I'll report back how the ticket (or tickets) end up being issued. I was assuming that it would all be issued as a single ticket, but perhaps not.
It'll be definitely issued as one ticket. I am quite sure it can't be done in any other way when it's booked as a single PNR. At least, I've never ever seen it so done, and am pretty sure the 1970s/1980s era airline systems have no way of doing that. Not unless the booking site supports broken itineraries and will price two separate tickets combined together as one, but then have it ultimately issued as two (or more) tix and separate ticketing airline PNRs (but perhaps somehow joined together just on their side under their own PNR); that I could see may be happening (never seen it in real life, but it sure is possible), but usually places that will show the better price as a broken fare (e.g. Kayak) will still have you book it separately for each ticket.

Or to be more accurate, if you have more than four flights you will have two tickets, as a ticket can hold no more than four segments (incl. open-jaws), but two sequential ticket numbers (xxxxxxxxxxxx7 and xxxxxxxxxxxx8, for example), both of course on the same PNR. (While if you had eight flights and some open-jaws, that would be then as three sequential ticket numbers.)
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
Canadian Member Questions

Hi Everyone,

New-ish to Delta, so please be patient.

In the past 2 weeks, I flew as a non-status flier in First or DeltaOne from YYZ-JFK-DTW-PEK-DTW-PEK, and only ended up with approximately 9000 SkyMiles.

MQMs were about 21K, split between '16 and '17. No problem; I have a few more flights coming up that will see me gain Silver.

Am I at a disadvantage flying from a country that sees its currency trading lower than the USD with respect to earning RDMs? 1 CAD is about 76 cents USD.

Should I even care about RDMs since I fly DeltaOne or if in North America, First or Comfort+? Obviously free trips or merchandise for redemption in the future is the icing on the cake, but I also enjoy the trips that I've actually paid for in cash.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by mnbp
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Not necessarily. The FF # is stored individually by each operating airline for its PNR, and you can (usually, depends on the airlines) have one FF # with one airline while another FF # with another airline's version of that same trip PNR.

For example, if you book DL flights using VS, with VS you can have it with your VS FF #, while with DL you can enter your DL FF #, but it won't overwrite or change the VS PNR to the DL FF #.
Since there can be multiple travelers on a PNR and each traveler has their own FF #, the FF# cannot be linked to a PNR but must be linked to the traveler which then links to their ticket(s) in the PNR.

I have a KLM Booking with 2 travelers on a single PNR. The FF# for each is associated with the passenger information. I could have either my FB or my DL FF # but not both. We have our DL FF#s entered since we get the benefits of our status for seat selection, etc.

There is no way for me to enter 2 FF#'s for a single passenger.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
There is no way for me to enter 2 FF#'s for a single passenger.
Of course, you can only have one FF per PNR.

But if you have multiple operating carriers each with a different PNR for the same reservation, you can enter a different FF # for each operating carrier, as that gets saved locally to their PNR and doesn't get pushed out to those of others. (E.g. if you have 8 flights and 8 operating carriers, you can list a different FF # in each of the 8 different PNRs at each operating carrier for the same ticket.)
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since >4 segments results in sequential tickets, and since >1 pax also results in multiple tickets, I'm assuming that a PNR actually CAN hold more than one ticket.

But still interesting to figure out how and where the FF#s are attached. I also wonder if it has to do with the PNR system - for example with a mixed DL/AF/KL ticket, I will have one PNR with DL's separate system, and another Amadeus PNR that AF/KL share. Not the best example since AF/KL also share a loyalty program, but you get the point if there were another airline involved that also uses Amadeus.

In any case, I ended up booking separately in order to repurpose a DL credit I had forgotten about, so I don't have any data point to share. Will consider trying it the next time the opportunity arises.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Since >4 segments results in sequential tickets, and since >1 pax also results in multiple tickets, I'm assuming that a PNR actually CAN hold more than one ticket.

But still interesting to figure out how and where the FF#s are attached. I also wonder if it has to do with the PNR system - for example with a mixed DL/AF/KL ticket, I will have one PNR with DL's separate system, and another Amadeus PNR that AF/KL share. Not the best example since AF/KL also share a loyalty program, but you get the point if there were another airline involved that also uses Amadeus.

In any case, I ended up booking separately in order to repurpose a DL credit I had forgotten about, so I don't have any data point to share. Will consider trying it the next time the opportunity arises.
When did Mozart start working for AF/KLM?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by Psyduck1
When did Mozart start working for AF/KLM?
Since quite a while ago.

https://www.amadeus.net/content/about_us

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amadeus_CRS
Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Wow, so if you are a DM and you spend above $6818 on a ticket, the dollars you spend above $6818 get you NOTHING ($6818x11=75K). Way to reward your best flyers! Some TPAC J fares are double that!
I am looking at a Nov/Dec ticket to SYD and this 75K SM ceiling is now a frustration for me for the first time. The airfare is outrageous and I would like some payback since SMs are useful to the way I buy international tickets.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
I flew on a DL/UA itinerary bought on United.com. it automatically included my MP info. It also contained confirmation numbers for both airlines. I went on Delta.com added my SM number. After that everything worked as if the segment was bought on Delta including upgrades and mile credits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.