Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 SkyMiles Program News from Delta

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2015, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Baggage benefits differ in VS? Carry on rules might be more strict.

Even with no status, 1 checked bag is free.

As a DM, I've had no issue checking 2 bags when flying Economy on VS.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Don't get my hopes up.
Hey now! That's my home state! Although notice I don't live there anymore, for various reasons
Old Apr 12, 2015, 10:47 am

The click-bait nature of the title suggests the OP wants to whine rather than actually solicit information on mileage earning.
That's probably a fair assessment. The nature of Delta's announcement gives the reader no idea of the huge extent to which benefits are being reduced. The purpose of my post was to highlight this to others. I've been flying 2-4 transatlantic trips a year for the past four years, tickets have been bought from delta.com at their advertised pricing in pounds sterling using a UK credit card. Given the amount of the reduction I feel a whinge is entirely in order. I'm not in the business of nerdishly trying to understand and work every nuance of the frequent flyer program. I'm just a disappointed customer who bought a ticket with an expectation based on past experience and Delta's marketing messages of what he was going to get.

With regard to rwoman's comment on baggage a GM or higher would have no problem checking 2 bags on VS so as a DM she's right in what she says. However Silvers get no baggage waiver on VS. She's also right that carry on rules are different. The result in my case was that checking in with Delta at SAV I was able to take a cabin bag and a laptop bag plus two hold bags. Checking in with VS at Heathrow I could only take one carry on, max 10kg (no weight limit on Delta). As VS say on their website "If you want to take your laptop onboard, you'll need to place it in your original hand baggage or check your hand baggage in." In addition to this I had to pay for the second bag. Hence my comment that you can take more in one direction than the other.

Delta seem good at providing a smooth and seamless experience with Delta Connection carriers, they don't seem able to manage it with VS, even though they own 49% of the stock.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA,AA,DL,
Exit row availability?

Has something changed? Every flight I check shows no vacant exit row seats. Have even checked 300+ days out and still nothing. I am only Silver but at 6'8" I need the legroom and Silver has always given me access to preferred seating. I have searched theses threads and can find no comments on this.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA EXP, AS MVP75K GOLD, HHonors Diamond, BW Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by redynsp
Has something changed? Every flight I check shows no vacant exit row seats. Have even checked 300+ days out and still nothing. I am only Silver but at 6'8" I need the legroom and Silver has always given me access to preferred seating. I have searched theses threads and can find no comments on this.
I have consistently seen that of all my BOOKED flights the SeatMaps show the first row in FC or BE "NOT AVAILABLE" However, if I try to book a ticket on the same route which I hold tickets when I look at the SeatMap those seats are available for purchase! Others have also noticed at the same time this change took effect that many exit row seats were also under this limitation.

Is DELTA throttling (or limiting...like an internet provider does) our access to UG's after purchase?

Even when I got UG's this past two weeks, I was unable to select a front row first class seat!
Old Apr 30, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL Plat, SPG Plat
If you request to have tickets changed from DL-code share flight numbers to AF flight numbers (assuming you'll still be on 006 stock), will that affect MQDs, RDMs, and MQMs?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by kbulo
Hi. So here's my question concerning mileage accrual on partner airlines for 2015. Looked here on FT but yielded no results, so apologies in advance if this has been addressed previously.

Looking at an AF flight, let's say it's a 10k miles nonstop flight for easy math purposes. Ticket cost is $1500 (Class V).

It earns the following per link below:
A) 25% Base Miles
B) 25% Total Miles earned
C) 100% MQM
D) 80% Medallion Mileage Bonus (Eg.Platinum status)

Just to understand correctly, is this what would get posted to one's account:
A) 2,500 miles (cancels out B?)
B) 2,500 miles
C) 10,000 miles
D) 8,000 miles

For a total of 10,500 RDM, and 10,000 MQM.

For comparison, for a DL 006 stock, it would be 10,000 MQM + 13,500 RDM (9 x 1,500).

Is this right?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ir-france.html
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond // Marriott LT Titanium

do you see the same result after you purchase the ticket or is it during the reservation?
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
So, here's something to fuel the fire re: RDM earnings with Skymiles 2015.

From this article: http://www.globaltravelerusa.com/airline-mergers/

"Both United and Delta introduced new systems to reward flyers for dollars spent rather than miles flown. It’s a switch which, according to a study by PricewaterhouseCoopers, resulted in 45 percent of passengers losing points."

For everyone here kvetching about how the new structure is horrible/worse for most, wouldn't this study suggest that for 55% of pax (i.e., a majority), the new earnings method puts them either at par or ahead?

Discuss.

Last edited by gooselee; Jul 8, 2015 at 6:52 am
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: American AAdvantage ExecPlat, Former DL Skymiles Diamond (MM), Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by gooselee

"Both United and Delta introduced new systems to reward flyers for dollars spent rather than miles flown. It’s a switch which, according to a study by PricewaterhouseCoopers, resulted in 45 percent of passengers losing points."

For everyone here kvetching about how the new structure is horrible/worse for most, wouldn't this study suggest that for 55% of pax (i.e., a majority), the new earnings method puts them either at par or ahead?

Discuss.
Very interesting.
For me, my job requires a lot of international long haul flights in coach. I would have lost (which is why I switched to AA). If I were doing many short haul domestic flights, I probably would have stayed with DL as I'd benefit. I too am interesting in how people will respond to this.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:53 pm

I honestly don't think they open up exit row seating until a few weeks before the flight. I have repeatedly looked back and switched my seat to exit row about two weeks before. Anyone know the official rule? Then we could attempt to try and time it better (I think also some seats kept aside for folks with disabilities open up at some point too.)

Ever get that window exit row seat with NO SEAT IN FRONT OF IT? That must be heaven for you!
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:24 pm

Discuss.
When I look for leisure(cheap) fares, I have completely stopped buying tickets for Delta and United, even if it's 15-20% cheaper. I don't travel as much but when I do, I have stopped buying Delta and United. I am sure I'm in the minority at least that's what Delta and United are hoping their research is accurate ;-). I guess we'll see in 1-2 yrs from now, several leisure or less experienced flyers I have talked too, are finally seeing the difference in miles especially since this is the first summer with lower mileage earnings.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by skintwo
I honestly don't think they open up exit row seating until a few weeks before the flight. I have repeatedly looked back and switched my seat to exit row about two weeks before. Anyone know the official rule? Then we could attempt to try and time it better (I think also some seats kept aside for folks with disabilities open up at some point too.)

Ever get that window exit row seat with NO SEAT IN FRONT OF IT? That must be heaven for you!
This is false. I have consistently been able to get exit row seats several MONTHS out when booking tickets, as has Mrs. Lee (FO). In fact, they are easier to grab at that point because fewer people have booked the flight.

If exit row seats are opening closer to departure, it could be because:
- People are cancelling/changing their flights
- People are moving to other seats in C+ or elsewhere
- (During the week before) Elites are getting window upgrades

There are some seats held back for people with disabilities that do not open for everyone else to select until T-24. This is generally one side of the first row of coach on narrowbody planes. However, AFAIK exit row seats will never be held for this purpose, for obvious reasons.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
This is false. I have consistently been able to get exit row seats several MONTHS out when booking tickets, as has Mrs. Lee (FO). In fact, they are easier to grab at that point because fewer people have booked the flight.

If exit row seats are opening closer to departure, it could be because:
- People are cancelling/changing their flights
- People are moving to other seats in C+ or elsewhere
- (During the week before) Elites are getting window upgrades

There are some seats held back for people with disabilities that do not open for everyone else to select until T-24. This is generally one side of the first row of coach on narrowbody planes. However, AFAIK exit row seats will never be held for this purpose, for obvious reasons.
Booked award flights for my sister (GM) and brother-in-law this week for the first week of September. No issue booking exit row seats.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 4:48 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE

Discuss.
I think the question here is "by how much?"

For example, a non-status TCON flyer used to earn about 5000 miles r/t. Now, on (say) a $400 ticket they'll earn about 1750 miles, or a loss of 3250 miles.

A short haul flyer might have earned (say) 1000 miles r/t. Assuming the same $400 ticket, they'll now also earn 1750 miles, or a gain of 750 miles.

In this example, the long haul flyer lost more than 4 times as much as the short haul flyer gained, so even if there are 10% more people in the latter category, the actual number of miles awarded is significantly less.

And, of course, nobody "lost points" as part of the new program... they just didn't earn as many as they used to.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club

Discuss.
The report came out a few months ago. The article you linked to took the liberty of rounding and leaving out some information. The numbers PwC came up with are actually 39% come out ahead, 14% see no change, and 47% are worse off.

Without knowing what exactly they studied to come to this conclusion, it's hard to argue.

The question I would ask is whether that is really 39% of flyers or of flights/tickets that would come out ahead. The distinction matters. High revenue business travelers are probably more frequent travelers than low revenue leisure travelers. So if that 39% really represents flights/tickets, and those are concentrated in the hands of a smaller number of frequent business travelers, the percentage of flyers that comes out ahead is probably lower.

Last edited by javabytes; Jul 10, 2015 at 5:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.