Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 SkyMiles Program News from Delta

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2014, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Are you ok with YQ, no one-ways, inability to mix partners on one award, inability to book partner awards online?

And who knows how long VS will give DL flyers full miles.
Are you talking about specific One Way's with partner because it's certainly available for their product?? I only care about doing Europe and Domestic US on award miles. I actually think 17,500 one way from US to Europe(London or UK) with YQ($140) especially from USA is very achievable for most travelers. I agree YQ can be a downer costing around $240 on the return from Europe to USA. That's my biggest concern, since Delta essentially runs Virgin Atlantic now, they may not give us full miles, I guess it could be any moment they may take it away. Also, twice a year they run promo for 25% off miles redemption.

Last edited by DLDFW; Dec 26, 2014 at 9:31 pm
Old Dec 31, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
This is probably addressed.. If tonight 31 I fly SMF-SLC-ATL-MEX (SLC-ATL-MEX is on the 1st) Will I get full credit or will the after midnight flights be revenue based
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by ryan754
This is probably addressed.. If tonight 31 I fly SMF-SLC-ATL-MEX (SLC-ATL-MEX is on the 1st) Will I get full credit or will the after midnight flights be revenue based
You will get 2014 credit for only the first segment.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 6:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The new Skymiles redemption ticket pricing gets us closer to the penny-ization of SkyMiles -- a state of affairs where the maximum value of a redeemed SkyMiles approaches 1 cent per mile of value for the customer.

At this kind of value cap, use of the DL credit cards to earn DL miles seems to be a sub-par choice on so many levels.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Not sure where to ask this...is there any correlation between award availability and RUC availability? Wait listed on a lax-rdu in March but seeing ow award availability...thanks!
Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Anyone see award search results also giving a 'money and miles' option? For example, I had one that quoted 50k miles, and something like 35k + $269... when you look further into the details, you're actually buying the 15k mile difference at the normally high buy miles rate.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by rylan
Anyone see award search results also giving a 'money and miles' option? For example, I had one that quoted 50k miles, and something like 35k + $269... when you look further into the details, you're actually buying the 15k mile difference at the normally high buy miles rate.
Didn't it previously use to do this when you didn't have enough miles in your account to cover the redemption?

It's been a while since I didn't have enough miles, so I don't remember...but I feel like once upon a time it would say 35k miles then have a link saying "you need to buy 10k miles at $XXX to book this trip".
Old Jan 5, 2015, 4:17 pm

Hey everyone! Long time since I have been here but I figured some of you might be able to shed some light on this new program.

My particular case is as follows: I am trying to book an award trip to MRS in September and am encountering two issues.

1. On my preferred travel days, I am seeing only "Not Available" on the award chart. Booking with cash shows that ~85% of seats on the plane are available though. So, my question is, What does the new benefit of "No Blackout Dates" mean?

2. On other, possible travel days, I am seeing redemption pricing at 145,000 Miles yet according to the new award chart, the Max Level 5 One Way amount is 65,000. By my math, that means it should be 130,000 Miles at an absolute max.

3. What am I missing? Is this just simply something wrong with the award webpage? Will calling present more options? Or is this just misinformation?

Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 5, 2015, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by discjester
Hey everyone! Long time since I have been here but I figured some of you might be able to shed some light on this new program.

My particular case is as follows: I am trying to book an award trip to MRS in September and am encountering two issues.

1. On my preferred travel days, I am seeing only "Not Available" on the award chart. Booking with cash shows that ~85% of seats on the plane are available though. So, my question is, What does the new benefit of "No Blackout Dates" mean?

2. On other, possible travel days, I am seeing redemption pricing at 145,000 Miles yet according to the new award chart, the Max Level 5 One Way amount is 65,000. By my math, that means it should be 130,000 Miles at an absolute max.

3. What am I missing? Is this just simply something wrong with the award webpage? Will calling present more options? Or is this just misinformation?

Thanks for the help!
I'm assuming your itinerary is USA-CDG/AMS-MRS, using AF or KL for the CDG/AMS-MRS leg.

1. Are you sure that all flights you need are operating on those days? Even if they are, if there is no AF availability CDG-MRS, then your itinerary will not be available. While DL won't black out any days, they are still reliant on AF to release their inventory, and AF is notoriously stingy.

2. This is additive pricing, where anything above Tier 1 on DL flights causes the itinerary to break and price your connections separately. One way you can get a 145k award for coach US-EU is if your TATL flights are priced at Tier 4 (55k) one way and Tier 5 (65k) the other way, then your intraeurope flights are being separately charged at 10k (intra-France) and 15k (intra-Europe).

3. You're not missing anything, this is just DL being DL. My experience lately has been that calling will actually result in agents telling you that the partner availability, particularly if using AF or KL, shown on DL.com is not current and some flights showing available are actually not available and impossible to book. You'll also find that the DL website errors out if you try to book these flights.

Check out this thread (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...er-thread.html) for info on booking with partners, which you need to do to get to MRS. It was very, very helpful to me in booking my own trip to Europe. Also consider just finding reasonably priced DL or partner awards to get to CDG, and buy cheap AF Mini fare or take a train to get to MRS (or, now that we can do one-ways, possibly stop in Paris/Amsterdam for a day or two if the low TATL flights are available on different days than the intra-Europe flights). Eliminating that intra-Europe leg may open up more availability for your TATL flight since.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by gooselee
While DL won't black out any days
DL most definitely will white-out (as it appears white on the calendar) many days, and often several weeks in a row, for its own flights. DL has been doing so for many years, while as the search is running claiming (lying right to its customers face) of having "no blackout dates" (as I guess that DL calls it "whiteout" vs. "blackout"). Often you can find the award calendar have many days (up to 28 days in a month from what I've seen) whited-out - as in not available at standard, double or quadruple level (pre-2015), while having 100s of seats available for revenue booking. (This is many months in advance on 747, 767, A330 flights, including routes with three daily flights - sometimes all three are completely whited out.)

I haven't checked on the white-out situation now in 2015, but 2012, 2013, 2014, it has been a widely employed practice by DL on certain flights. So, let's not make claims that we know are not true (that DL doesn't do blackouts of its own flights for award), as we all know (or should know, at least) that it most certainly does blackout its own flights for award bookings at any level - often taking it to an extreme, even. I doubt that it has changed in 2015, but I haven't checked on it yet, and in my quick check on award pricing now. vs end of 2014 I didn't come across any blatant white-outs during the ~2 month timeframe I was checking then for a few flights.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by discjester
Suggestion: fly DL to NCE and take car/taxi/train to your address in Marseille.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RealHJ
DL most definitely will white-out (as it appears white on the calendar) many days...
Whoa there, Tiger. I clearly hit a nerve. All I can say is that has not been my experience, and in fact I'm one of those who has been having a fair amount of luck looking for awards in the past week for multiple domestic and intl trips. There are some weeks and months where my searches turned up zero Tier 1 awards, but there was SOMETHING available on each day.

In the past, I've had mostly simpler award itineraries, but any "Not Available" days were easily explained by either sold out flights on some last minute bookings or by missing partner availability to the final destination.

So, what you describe is decidedly NOT well known in my limited experience. And in the MRS trip in question, I still think the most likely scenario is missing partner space.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:52 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Whoa there, Tiger. I clearly hit a nerve. All I can say is that has not been my experience, and in fact I'm one of those who has been having a fair amount of luck looking for awards in the past week for multiple domestic and intl trips. There are some weeks and months where my searches turned up zero Tier 1 awards, but there was SOMETHING available on each day.

In the past, I've had mostly simpler award itineraries, but any "Not Available" days were easily explained by either sold out flights on some last minute bookings or by missing partner availability to the final destination.

So, what you describe is decidedly NOT well known in my limited experience. And in the MRS trip in question, I still think the most likely scenario is missing partner space.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. DL does do that - at times rather extensively - on some flights (on flights to/from Japan for sure, I can't speak about others). But yes, here in this particular case you are 100% correct (sorry, I should have said so; I often fail to say the obvious), it is almost surely lack of AF availability (which a quick check on airfrance.us will either confirm or deny for the OP, and where it seems a segment by segment search is in order - though that may be less useful now, if now indeed married segment pricing is employed for award availability).

You were correct in your response in all aspects but one. I just meant to say that it is not correct to say that DL doesn't do blackouts, as it most certainly has been doing so for the last 3-4 years (on some, not all, flights), and I doubt that it has all of a sudden stopped doing so as of January 1st, though I haven't had the chance to search enough to confirm or deny either way yet. You could say that Delta claims that it doesn't do blackouts, though... and then those of us in the know would know what it really means: that like so many other things, what Delta sayeth and doeth are often two opposites.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Sorry, I should have been more clear. DL does do that - at times rather extensively - on some flights (on flights to/from Japan for sure, I can't speak about others). But yes, here in this particular case you are 100% correct (sorry, I should have said so; I often fail to say the obvious), it is almost surely lack of AF availability (which a quick check on airfrance.us will either confirm or deny for the OP, and where it seems a segment by segment search is in order - though that may be less useful now, if now indeed married segment pricing is employed for award availability).

You were correct in your response in all aspects but one. I just meant to say that it is not correct to say that DL doesn't do blackouts, as it most certainly has been doing so for the last 3-4 years (on some, not all, flights), and I doubt that it has all of a sudden stopped doing so as of January 1st, though I haven't had the chance to search enough to confirm or deny either way yet. You could say that Delta claims that it doesn't do blackouts, though... and then those of us in the know would know what it really means: that like so many other things, what Delta sayeth and doeth are often two opposites.
Fair enough. And absolutely agree that what DL says/publishes vs. what DL does generally have little to no relationship, especially when it comes to awards.

Perhaps the difference is that nearly all of my award bookings the past 2-3 years (which is about all I can remember) have been in the Americas or TATL. Perhaps their "enhanced" availability happens more on TPACs?

100% OP should be checking AF.us by segment to see if AF availability is the problem, though I think it'll probably still require a call in to see if any AF classic awards are actually bookable by DL.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:12 am

I'm assuming your itinerary is USA-CDG/AMS-MRS, using AF or KL for the CDG/AMS-MRS leg.

1. Are you sure that all flights you need are operating on those days? Even if they are, if there is no AF availability CDG-MRS, then your itinerary will not be available. While DL won't black out any days, they are still reliant on AF to release their inventory, and AF is notoriously stingy.

2. This is additive pricing, where anything above Tier 1 on DL flights causes the itinerary to break and price your connections separately. One way you can get a 145k award for coach US-EU is if your TATL flights are priced at Tier 4 (55k) one way and Tier 5 (65k) the other way, then your intraeurope flights are being separately charged at 10k (intra-France) and 15k (intra-Europe).

3. You're not missing anything, this is just DL being DL. My experience lately has been that calling will actually result in agents telling you that the partner availability, particularly if using AF or KL, shown on DL.com is not current and some flights showing available are actually not available and impossible to book. You'll also find that the DL website errors out if you try to book these flights.

Check out this thread (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...er-thread.html) for info on booking with partners, which you need to do to get to MRS. It was very, very helpful to me in booking my own trip to Europe. Also consider just finding reasonably priced DL or partner awards to get to CDG, and buy cheap AF Mini fare or take a train to get to MRS (or, now that we can do one-ways, possibly stop in Paris/Amsterdam for a day or two if the low TATL flights are available on different days than the intra-Europe flights). Eliminating that intra-Europe leg may open up more availability for your TATL flight since.
Thank you for the well thought out reply. You are correct that I assumed that DL would have access to KLM award seats but I probably should not have done so. I know that flights operate those days as they are available via Money but I guess that I can assume that KLM/AF did not probably award availability to DL.

Also, thanks to all so suggested alternative routes. I have checked into them all and likely likely end up choosing one of those routes. This was just an effort to make travel easier!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.