Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 SkyMiles Program News from Delta

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Good point. Why would a HVC on another airline, with vested status and dealing with a known product and benefits, come to DL with the back-end questions unanswered (award calendar and availability)?

If they were dissatisfied with their current airline, why wouldn't they have already moved? If they were on the edge of a decision to move, what is there about DL's announcement that would further stimulate them?

Might have been a different perspective had DL announced they were changing the program to limit elite status to truly HVC. But that didn't happen (... yet).
True, a HVC isn't going to leave another airline and give up benefits just for some extra RDM's, especially with all the other "enhancements" Delta has made to their program. And if it's a passenger that flies paid first all the time, they are going to be more interested in the first class hard product which Delta lacks in.

ANd for lesiure travel AA and UA have Delta beat with SWU's.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
True, a HVC isn't going to leave another airline and give up benefits just for some extra RDM's, especially with all the other "enhancements" Delta has made to their program. And if it's a passenger that flies paid first all the time, they are going to be more interested in the first class hard product which Delta lacks in.

ANd for lesiure travel AA and UA have Delta beat with SWU's.
It's the hole in Delta's logic. If I'm flying for business and my employer pays, I'm going to fly whether or not there's any loyalty program at all. Sure, the captive customer is more valuable. But you don't have to incentivize the captive customer.

These changes appear to be about punishing loyalty, since they appear designed to encourage Elite frequent flyers to go away. The changes don't seem designed to alter either the behavior of the leisure flyer or the behavior of the captive business traveler.

But the planes are too full, so they appear to want to shed Elite flyers who do have some ability to shop around for bargains. It may make good business sense to chase away these flyers but it cannot honestly be described as rewarding loyalty. It's exactly the reverse.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...s-anymore.html

I still prefer the ironic option of calling them "Loyalty Units."
Fleecing Units... or FUs...
Old Feb 28, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Avis First, HHonor Diamond, Marriot Gold
It looks as if companys are taking this seriously. Name and company aside, here is an email from a corporate travel manager...

"Due to the alarming rate at which Delta Airlines has chosen to destroy it's frequent flyer program and due to offers we have received from both United and American Airlines for our business; we will now allow any of our employees to status-match to either one. Please notify your Logistics Manager as soon as possible if you should decide to switch your preferred airline and be sure to provide all appropriate program credentials"
Old Feb 28, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Justin7525
It looks as if companys are taking this seriously. Name and company aside, here is an email from a corporate travel manager...

"Due to the alarming rate at which Delta Airlines has chosen to destroy it's frequent flyer program and due to offers we have received from both United and American Airlines for our business; we will now allow any of our employees to status-match to either one. Please notify your Logistics Manager as soon as possible if you should decide to switch your preferred airline and be sure to provide all appropriate program credentials"
^ That is great to see!

Let there be much more of this to come.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by javabytes
Fleecing Units... or FUs...
Almost caused a spit take there. Well done. ^
Old Feb 28, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: Delta DM, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, HHoners Gold, SPG Gold, National ExecElite, Hertz PC, Avis First
I question how good this scheme will be for Delta's bottom line. I just looked at my end-of-year Amex summary, and I suppose I'm one of those flyers Delta wants. I flew 200K miles last year, spending about $60K to do it.

When this leaked in the fall of 2012, I hedged my bets with a status match to AA, and split my travel between the two airlines. So already, this move has cost delta $30K from my buying behavior alone. I wonder how many people are like me in this regard?

This year, I'll fly enough to retain Diamond, but until we see the full picture and, assuming it's as nasty as we believe, a sincere back-peddle, the scales are going to tilt far away from Delta's favor.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors

AWESOME
Old Feb 28, 2014, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by singlephile
Not even a reacharound!?

ROFL
Old Feb 28, 2014, 2:23 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold

This is great!
Old Feb 28, 2014, 9:38 pm

SO pissed...Delta has now lost a 25+ yr customer! Case closed.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Michael Yarlott
SO pissed...Delta has now lost a 25+ yr customer! Case closed.
*sigh* I wish it was easier to leave but DTW being a fortress hub makes it so damn inconvenient (and often more expensive) to do anything else
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club

Excellent ^
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:32 pm

Programs: DL MM 3.2, DM; UAL; AAL
2015 SkyMiles Program News from Delta

Maybe I have been reading too fast, but I can't seem to find if this new program continues the rollover miles.

Does anyone know if the new program continues rollover miles?
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by DLDMFLL
Maybe I have been reading too fast, but I can't seem to find if this new program continues the rollover miles.

Does anyone know if the new program continues rollover miles?
As of today, at 12:35 AM Eastern time, apparently it does.

There seem to have been no changes to elite qualification details.

However, the DL millipede has only dropped one shoe so far.

...waiting to hear the other shoes drop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.