Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

So why do we call them "miles" anymore?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Just saying.

When RDMs were based upon miles, it made sense to call them miles. But under the 2015 program, the miles flown are irrelevant. They really are "points", "credits", "rebates", etc., but not "miles." SkyPoints?

Interestingly, the term "SkyPesos" is more on point. At least that references a currency (upon which such new Skypoints are earned)!

If it walks like a duck, it's a duck, not a mile.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by flyerwma
Just saying.

When RDMs were based upon miles, it made sense to call them miles. But under the 2015 program, the miles flown are irrelevant. They really are "points", "credits", "rebates", etc., but not "miles." SkyPoints?

Interestingly, the term "SkyPesos" is more on point. At least that references a currency (upon which such new Skypoints are earned)!

If it walks like a duck, it's a duck, not a mile.
Perhaps DL's biggest mistake and point of confusion on the whole deal. Southwest got it right.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Why miles?

MARKETING possibly?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: I miss US Airways

I propose SkyRials.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cu...te-1-us-dollar
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:56 pm

Actually, it is just like the black market in currency in some countries. Your exchange rate depends on who you are. Si Seor, for you it is 11 pesos to the dollar, but not for the kettle carrying your bags.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When RDMs were based upon miles, it made sense to call them miles. But under the 2015 program, the miles flown are irrelevant
Your basic facts are not quite correct.

The miles flown are still relevant when you fly on Delta's partners and earn Delta miles. Same with Delta tickets bought where the flight cost by itself is not known, including as part of Delta's vacation packages. From the Delta announcment:
Flights marketed and ticketed by Deltas partner airlines will earn mileage based on a percentage of the distance flown as determined by the fare class paid. More details will be available later this year at delta.com/partnerairlines.

Certain tickets where the fare is not disclosed, including but not limited to bulk, consolidator, cruise, vacation packages (including Delta Vacations packages), inclusive tour and other opaque fare products, will earn miles based on a percentage of distance flown as determined by the fare class paid as published at delta.com/exceptionfares.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:21 pm

Just saying.

When RDMs were based upon miles, it made sense to call them miles.
if you want to get really technical, even at the dawn of FF programs, you didn't accumulate "miles," rather points or credits based on miles flown. They may have been called 'miles' but they weren't really miles (think of the definition of a mile--how could you bank a mile?).

Why keep calling them miles now? Because we always did in the past. We talk about 'dialing' a phone number even though for the past however many years virtually nobody has been turning a dial when making a call. If you want someone in a car to roll down their window, you likely make a circular motion with your hand instead of moving your index finger up and down. Why? Because for a long time most car windows were rolled down by hand. Even though nearly all car windows in the US move up and down by button push, we still describe the act in the old way. On your email, you still 'cc' people, even though absolutely no carbon paper is involved in the process, etc...
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:07 pm

For the new DL program, SkyFeet makes more sense. You have to crawl your way to benefits, and it might stink.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
"SkyPesos" is an even more perfect term now.

Oh, and I'm sure they'll open up plenty of low-cost redemption awards, like roundtrips between MIA-FLL. Or, if they're extra generous, r/ts between MDW and ORD.

What a pathetic program. So glad I abandoned DL and the pathetic SkyTeam alliance years ago.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by brewdog11
"SkyPesos" is an even more perfect term now.

Oh, and I'm sure they'll open up plenty of low-cost redemption awards, like roundtrips between MIA-FLL. Or, if they're extra generous, r/ts between MDW and ORD.

What a pathetic program. So glad I abandoned DL and the pathetic SkyTeam alliance years ago.
SkyPesos is being generous. Should be called SkyDongs now...totally worthless.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by lazard
... Should be called SkyDongs now...totally worthless.
Please speak for yourself!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
I'm just waiting for the Million Miler club to become the Million Dollar club.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum
SkyChuck-E-Cheese Tickets...
Old Feb 26, 2014, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles

I believe that they should be called "Loyalty Units."
Old Feb 26, 2014, 4:37 pm

Just saying.

Sounds like "Cashback"
or milesback

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.