Wiki Posts
Search

2015 SkyMiles Program News from Delta

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
When I saw the email subject I knew it wasn't a change I would like. And typical Delta starts out the email with wording like it's a change we ask for.

So my $210 DTW/LGA trip last week would have gotten me 231 miles with the 10% diamond bonus (probably less since they aren't going to include tax) and before it was 2,250 RDM's with the diamond bonus. That's a 90% drop in miles!

Delta is REALLY screwing their elites with only a 10% bonus for diamonds and nothing for anyone else.

I use to use my RDM's for FCM fares. This is going to really screw me now
If you're a DM you'll earn 11 miles/$, so a $210 fare would get you 2310 not 231.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by demkr
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_6 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B651 Safari/9537.53)

Smisek is licking his chops in Chicago

A race to the bottom for FT'ers.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:03 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Also: 200 pages
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:04 am

So, we lost out on miles, big time, JFK-LAS for example...As GM, i would get roughly 2400 instead of 9000. Big loss. MQMs remain the same, AMEX waiver is still intact. Anything else we lose out on?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SkyMilesTeam
We’re also increasing the number of redemption levels overall to as many as five levels, giving you additional options requiring fewer miles.
The fact that there's more than one level is annoying and makes planning very hard. Five is utterly inane, especially when all of them but one cost more miles than other carriers.

One-Way Award Options.
The one good part! Finally, for all those times when a DL saver award is available one way and a mega-huge (aka peak) award (or none) is available the other.

Flights marketed and ticketed by Delta’s partner airlines will earn mileage based on distance flown and fare class paid. More details will be announced later in 2014. ... [2015 Award charts] will be available in the last quarter of 2014 and will be effective for new bookings beginning January 1, 2015.
That's appallingly late. The best decision on whether to credit partner flights to DL or DL flights to partners or even which flights to book (e.g. DL partners or someone else's) requires knowing this now, not last quarter of the year.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: delta AA, United, BA Virgin, QR
this all comes down to the new awards charts and whether or not more seats will be available at lower milage levels. We only have half the picture. Another question is, will it make sense for some folks to now put all their miles under a Virgin or Air France account even when flying Delta domestically? Is it possible to do this?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by CJKatl
How quickly will this thread explode????

VERY FAST

It should be a loooonnnngggg day on FT. yep

Like this change or not, DL should again be commended for being upfront and early with this announcement.
^^ agreed
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
I already have a ticket for 2015 for which I have already been quoted a certain number of SMs at ticketing time.

I have to assume that even though the new rules are supposed to take effect on Jan 1, any previously purchased tickets should earn at the rate already quoted.

Correct?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Delta: As a Gold Medallion I am very, very unhappy with this change.

For example, I often fly the LAX-JFK route. I will have to spend over $1200 to get the same mileage that I currently get. I typically pay around $500 for coach fares. I realize this is not an expensive last minute fare, but I do not consider this to be bottom of the barrel cheap either.

I will remain loyal because I generally think you guys do a great job with your core service, but I do want to voice that I am unhappy with what seems like a very, very significant reduction in benefits.

In particular, I am unhappy with the way it is so dramatically skewed towards very high paying customers. I do understand the need to reward customers who pay much more than than most of us as they form an critical part of your customer base---but combined the rest of us also form an important part of your customer base.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I feel really bad for those lower level elites and kettles... this system basically means they won't be earning enough to get them anything besides a magazine subscription every 5 years.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by SkyMilesTeam
MSPeconomist, you are correct. The 75,000 mile cap is specific to the flight activity and exclusive of any credit card mileage earn. Customers with a SkyMiles Credit Card will continue to earn 2 miles per dollar on Delta purchases made with the card.
The original post is worded poorly then. The "bonus" 2 we are getting as AMEX holders is the 2 we are already getting. Its not like we get a bonus 2 from Delta plus the 2 from AMEX.

It could easily be read: for a PM like they'd get 13/$ and also 2/$ (for a net of 15). When its really 11/$ and 2/$ for a net of 13.

Probably could use some re-wording to make this obvious.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:21 am
Suspended

The new award charts will also be spend based? Meaning a fare of $100 will be 10,000 miles for general members, and perhaps 8,000 miles for Diamond (20% discount)?
Also note how this new earning scheme destroys mileage runs, as you won't be able to make < 9 cpm.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
[QUOTE=jdrtravel;22420467]Delta: As a Gold Medallion I am very, very unhappy with this change.

For example, I often fly the LAX-JFK route. I will have to spend over $1200 to get the same mileage that I currently get. I typically pay around $500 for coach fares. I realize this is not an expensive last minute fare, but I do not consider this to be bottom of the barrel cheap either.

I will remain loyal because I generally think you guys do a great job with your core service, but I do want to voice that I am unhappy with what seems like a very, very significant reduction in benefits.

In particular, I am unhappy with the way it is so dramatically skewed towards very high paying customers. I do understand the need to reward customers who pay much more than than most of us as they form an critical part of your customer base---but combined the rest of us also form an important part of your customer base.[/QUOTE]

+1. I get it that they want to reward top spenders, but this sucks for FO/GMs...which are technically the majority of their elites. I fly enough to take my wife and I on an award trip to the Caribbean or Europe once a year and now it seems it will be much harder to do so..though the award calendar/availability improvements need to be clarified to understand the full picture.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum, UA Silver, TK EP, Marriott Platinum
Yeah, this sucks. My typical sector goes from earning me something like 8000 miles roundtrip to closer to 4500. That's a pretty big haircut. I'm not happy.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: Charter/Former 4 time DL Diamond now Platinum, AAExecPlat, MM+ on three carriers, more ...
"When will the 2015 Award charts be available? - They will be available in the last quarter of 2014 and will be effective for new bookings beginning January 1, 2015."

Delta

Who am I? I was a Charter Diamond and have been continuously a Diamond. I am close to being a 2 million miler. I fly almost always in Business, and my spend is between $50,000 and $100,000 a year in airfare. I run an international department, and my employees fly with me. Our spend is $500,000.

Why am I annoyed with Delta? Because of the games that are being played with the flyer program. Withholding information, such as the new reward chart, is plainly an attempt to manipulate frequent flyers. Should I use my miles now or wait? Will the new structure be better for me or not? You know, but you will not tell me.

What can I do? Take my money elsewhere. I have just become AA Executive Platinum. They value my business and were happy to have me.

Loyalty has limits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.