Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 SkyMiles Program News from Delta

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:29 am
k2

Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
Where is this information being provided by DL?
People are making the assumption that the "sample" booking engine and award calendar shown on the DL page here is an indicator of future pricing. Bad assumption.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: SPG Plat, DL GM, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
Where is this information being provided by DL?
http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=2278

The lowest level for SkyMiles Saver Awards will remain at 25,000 miles for an Economy Class Award ticket for travel within the U.S. and Canada excluding Hawaii.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
The Mileage Runner has ceased to be
It is an ex mileage runner
The mileage runner has gone to meet his/her maker
The mileage run can not run even if you put 4 million volts through him/her
RIP mileage runner
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:40 am
k2

Originally Posted by IPAfan5
Doh, I stand corrected. Shocking, honestly shocking.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SJ215
I don't understand why Delta seems to want to make it so abundantly clear that they do NOT appreciate their repeat customers who help keep the seats filled on so many routes. One would think that having the seats filled would be a good thing.
It is a good thing/They are, but they just will not get rewarded as well going forward.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Pretty much rdm earning neutral for me. The only thing that will change is that now I will use my DL Amex for DL purchases only. Everything else will go on the 'real' Amex platinum or perhaps a new shiny AA visa card .
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow - I have already counted 4 new posters this morning. The fox is in the henhouse alright.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by rylan
I feel really bad for those lower level elites and kettles... this system basically means they won't be earning enough to get them anything besides a magazine subscription every 5 years.
Yep, MQD's are bad enough for a barely FO like me. 11 years was a good run, but now I'll probably just go with anyone cheap starting 2015. The question for me is how much of my accumulated miles to spend this year before they devalue further...
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Superguy
You have plenty of choices. Of course, DL wants you to ask the question you just did, throw up your arms, and stick with them.

Other options:
  • Credit to a foreign FFP in the alliance
  • Credit to AS
  • Fly a different airline that values your business more
  • Fly foreign airlines when traveling internationally
  • Kayak and quit the loyalty game altogether. Buy the perks you want/need on a case-by-case basis.
  • Stop flying altogether - look into other modes of travel or doing things closer to home

Now, some of these may be less convenient and more painful. Flying a different airline when you're a hub captive may be more difficult, but it's doable. You just gotta decide whether you'd be miserable on a nonstop or happier with a connection, and which you'd rather be. Not flying might not be feasible depending on your job and family situation, but it could be an option for some.

Point is I've been here. I left UA when they started mucking with MP, and I took a look at what the other airlines offered and picked what worked best for me. None of them were perfect, and out of BWI, there were few nonstops so nonstop vs. connection didn't matter much to me. However, it was good to evaluate what I wanted from my travel experience and who could best offer it to me at the time. Downside is the airlines seem to be forcing those evaluations more and more.

Unless you're employer mandates otherwise for business travel, you're not forced to fly DL, or any other carrier. It's a choice. Other options, including the do nothing option, may be painful, but they're still choices.

Choose wisely for your situation.
[*][B]Kayak and quit the loyalty game altogether.

This. I think a lot of people and plenty of lower level Medallions will determine its not worth it to be loyal and spend more for little perks and little mileage earning potential.

With the exception of the big spenders, I think the wave of the future will be for customers to Kakak it and simply buy on price
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:52 am

Not even a reacharound!?

Dear Delta, YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!! The 2015 SkyMiles earning program is OUTRAGEOUS!! It effectively slashes the number of miles I earn for reward tickets by 50-60%!!!! What kind of appreciation for your frequent fliers is this!?!?! Everyone knows that the value of miles has dropped, that platinum is the old gold and that getting a complimentary upgrade even at diamond level is harder than ever and now you want to ask us to bend over and take it after the upteen thousands of dollars we each spend on a yearly basis at your airline!? To break even with 2014 my company would have to buy a class ticket some 4-5 times more expensive than they do now. Do you think they're actually going to do that? We wouldn't be in business long if they did and you can bet you frequent fliers are going to spend the next year banking up miles and shopping the other airlines for the better deal. Some offer status level swaps, so you can bet, as a platinum member I'll be looking at those. Thanks for nothing.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by IPAfan5
Thanks - I missed that...
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by HongKonger
I'll offer odds that the lowest level is higher than it is now at least for some regions. Or maybe it will even be FBATR--there's no reason they can't introduce that now. They say the new charts will be ready in Q4--anyone want to bet they're waiting for people to requalify so they can then dump FBATR on us? LMAO
There's also the possibility -- however slight -- that they want to use it as a "give-back" and that they won't be so horrible. Fact that there's tiers makes me think it won't be complete FBATR
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by SJ215
I don't understand why Delta seems to want to make it so abundantly clear that they do NOT appreciate their repeat customers who help keep the seats filled on so many routes. One would think that having the seats filled would be a good thing.
The problem with DL is they're going the Jeff Smisek route and seeing their FFP as a cost rather than incentive to attract customers. They demand more from their customers and expect less.

While DL has overall been improving their product, it has also began making "changes we think you'll like." We've seen how well a lot of those changes have been working over at UA. Does DL really think it's a good idea?

I guess from their past experience, the repeated gutting SM hasn't affected their bottom line much. But like everything else, there's an inflection point where changes beyond that bring diminishing returns. DL may be at the tipping point where it starts to hurt them more than it helps them.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
I read through the program details. There's the good, bad, ugly and unclear (hopefully, not a 'mask')

I understand that the lowest rate domestic would remain at 25,000 skymiles (Assuming it is available, leave that aside). My concern based on DL's honesty, integrity and mutual respect track record is that everything else would go up. My personal sense is that other routes (TATL, TPAC, non-us based routes) and J would have some rate changes.

It would be nice if a DL rep would address the following question--
What is the reason for holding back on publishing the new award chart through the end of 2014?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by DLroads
I know that the lowest rate domestic would remain at 25,000 skymiles (Assuming it is available, leave that aside). My concern based on DL's honesty, integrity and mutual respect track record is that everything else would go up. My personal sense is that other routes (TATL, TPAC, non-us based routes) and J would have some rate changes.

It would be nice if a DL rep would address the following question--
What is the reason for holding back on publishing the new award chart through the end of 2014?
That's easy. If you saw how bad it was, you'd likely move your business now rather than later in the year. By that point, you'll have earned for status for next year and will be hooked on using it.

It's still early enough in the year that you can easily make top tier status if you bailed to another airline. That's obviously not in their interest, so the info be withheld until it's less detrimental to them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.