Wiki Posts
Search

2015 SkyMiles Program News from Delta

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:56 am
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
This is going to suck for me, at least when I get the cheap tickets, which, of course, it's company policy

Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:00 am

My 100% Gold Medallion bonus would be wiped out too

I have a choice in airlines and I intentionally try to book Delta. I wait until their fares go down. Forget that in 2015. Hello SW and USAir.

Originally Posted by Zamees
YTD, I've earned 53,000 Skymiles as a GM. Under the new program, I would have earned 25,920. Interestingly, my MQM without rollover is 25,300.

So basically for me, this new change has wiped out the 100% miles bonus. Assuming the low level awards aren't going to go anywhere close to a 50% decrease, so the point valuation in my case has been cut in half.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rsuzanne
I fly internationally several times a year almost always on a cheap fare, and I think I will still make PM but I will be getting something like 3600 miles per intl trip when you subtract the taxes (compared to 20K now) so at that rate I will be getting a free Hawaii ticket (which is where I generally redeem them) about every 2 years IF I could actually find the lowest sky miles fare which I have NEVER seen since 2010.

Where do you find 10K mile international trips for $400??? You do realize they count YQ as part of the spend as it is an airline imposed fee?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:02 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by thepella
that's what they wrote:
"We’re increasing Award availability at the lowest price levels and making it easier for you to find the seats that are most sought after. We’re also increasing the number of redemption levels overall to as many as five levels, giving you additional options requiring fewer miles."

Also the actual award calendar is a way to hide cheap award flight, so if they "fix" it is a value addition to skymiles.
Fewer than what?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
For me the big unknown - and I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet - is any changes to the AMEX earning structure.

Do AMEX cards still earn a standard mile/$ spent on all purchases?
If they do, then many, like me who earn about 75-100K in RDM every year will stand to gain hugely if the lower award rates and promises really come through.

Are AMEX cards likely to retain the MQM bonuses with large spends?
If so, then my MQM earning is still going to be strong and I'll still make GM or PM every year with the 10-15 domestic flights I take every year.

If, indeed, they hold the same benefits, then the reduction in RDM that I'll earn as one who typically books fares in the K range will see a few fewer RDM earned, but what I earn on AMEX may be more valuable to me.

My guess is that there are also many leisure travelers who use AMEX only and fly only a few times a year and will find a benefit grabbing award tickets every few years. For them, this might actually help them as well.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: AA 2 MM, DELTA PM, HH DIA
I am an American Platinum for life having flown over 2 MM miles with them but switched to Delta when I moved to Atlanta despite a lackluster rewards program I have stuck it out basically because they are the easiest choice out of ATL. But I guess 2014 is my last year. I flew 121,242 miles last year which were split between domestic and International (UK, RSA, UAE & Brazil mainly). My spend was a little over $22,000. Based on the new program I will lose about 60,000 miles for my continued loyalty according to my calculations. Although it means more connections American Airlines is looking like it may be getting my business again regardless of how easy it is to fly Delta out of ATL.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by paterwdb
For me the big unknown - and I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet - is any changes to the AMEX earning structure.

Do AMEX cards still earn a standard mile/$ spent on all purchases?
If they do, then many, like me who earn about 75-100K in RDM every year will stand to gain hugely if the lower award rates and promises really come through.

Are AMEX cards likely to retain the MQM bonuses with large spends?
If so, then my MQM earning is still going to be strong and I'll still make GM or PM every year with the 10-15 domestic flights I take every year.

If, indeed, they hold the same benefits, then the reduction in RDM that I'll earn as one who typically books fares in the K range will see a few fewer RDM earned, but what I earn on AMEX may be more valuable to me.

My guess is that there are also many leisure travelers who use AMEX only and fly only a few times a year and will find a benefit grabbing award tickets every few years. For them, this might actually help them as well.
Lower award rates as in 1 cent = 1 mile. That $200 domestic trip will now be listed as 20,000 miles. Yay! *Less miles!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion and HHonors Diamond
I flew 158k MQMs last year and this new change sucks...miles required for award travel will have to be adjusted to compensate for the mileage earned reduction. Don't mess this up Delta! This will be the last straw for me.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: SPG Plat, DL GM, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond
According to Delta, domestic redemption levels will remain the same with the lowest at 25k so this is already a huge downgrade. We will see what happens with international levels.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
What choice do we really have?
You have plenty of choices. Of course, DL wants you to ask the question you just did, throw up your arms, and stick with them.

Other options:
  • Credit to a foreign FFP in the alliance
  • Credit to AS
  • Fly a different airline that values your business more
  • Fly foreign airlines when traveling internationally
  • Kayak and quit the loyalty game altogether. Buy the perks you want/need on a case-by-case basis.
  • Stop flying altogether - look into other modes of travel or doing things closer to home

Now, some of these may be less convenient and more painful. Flying a different airline when you're a hub captive may be more difficult, but it's doable. You just gotta decide whether you'd be miserable on a nonstop or happier with a connection, and which you'd rather be. Not flying might not be feasible depending on your job and family situation, but it could be an option for some.

Point is I've been here. I left UA when they started mucking with MP, and I took a look at what the other airlines offered and picked what worked best for me. None of them were perfect, and out of BWI, there were few nonstops so nonstop vs. connection didn't matter much to me. However, it was good to evaluate what I wanted from my travel experience and who could best offer it to me at the time. Downside is the airlines seem to be forcing those evaluations more and more.

Unless you're employer mandates otherwise for business travel, you're not forced to fly DL, or any other carrier. It's a choice. Other options, including the do nothing option, may be painful, but they're still choices.

Choose wisely for your situation.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SkyMilesTeam
Today, you’ll begin to read information through various sources about the 2015 SkyMiles program. We know how engaged you are with the program so we wanted you to be among the first to get the details of what’s in store as soon as we could share the details. Every SkyMiles member with an email address on file and any amount of account activity in the past 24 months will receive an email about these changes in the coming days with more information.

SkyMilesTeam
I absolutely LOVE this. So far this year I have not had a single cross country flight under $2k and yet I have barely qualified for FO. Will be nice to finally get some attention for paying up on delta.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by rylan
Remember, it might be skewed to higher spend pax, but even they get hosed with a maximum limit of 75k miles.

Also, notice the example for miles+cash... 35k for a ticket or 25k+$159. That implies a value of 10k miles at 1.59c/mi instead of the current PWM at 1c/mi.
Does that mean PWM is going away or changing also to a different valuation?
Have you seen anything from DL about the impact of these changes on PWM? Is it time to tweet or post on FB to get a response?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, Alitalia Confiscated iPod Club
this is a major deval, as the breakeven prices in 2015 vs 2014 are kind of crazy

for a plat, to earn the same amount in 2015 vs 2014 on XXX-YYY, you have to pay the following

JFK-LAX - $1100
JFK-LHR - $1535
JFK-NRT - $3000

these breakevens are way above the current average coach fares..
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by IPAfan5
According to Delta, domestic redemption levels will remain the same with the lowest at 25k so this is already a huge downgrade. We will see what happens with international levels.
Where is this information being provided by DL?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:23 am

Could you kick us again Delta?

I don't understand why Delta seems to want to make it so abundantly clear that they do NOT appreciate their repeat customers who help keep the seats filled on so many routes. One would think that having the seats filled would be a good thing.

Just one example, for a conference I have coming up in LAS next month: According to their calculator under the current system, flying MSP-LAS as a PM I will earn 5,200 miles round trip. In 2015 for the same scenario I will earn 1,657 miles. Less than one third!! Are you kidding me? This is "improving my travel experience on Delta"? This is "in response to my feedback"? Trust me, I never asked for anything like this!

Or is this the set-up for an announcement later this year, "Great news! In response to your feedback, we have tripled our fares on most routes to ensure that our valued customers will not lose out due to our 2015 SkyMiles Program rules."

First the Sky Club raid, and now this. Wow!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.