Wiki Posts
Search

2015 SkyMiles Program News from Delta

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by RobbyZ
So, I see I'm not the only person that got that email this morning

I'm pretty torn by this new development. I have close to 900K SM in my account, and flew 135K MQM/153 Segments in 2013 with a spend of just under $19K. By my math, I earned a little over 340K SM last year, but would only earn 190K SM under the new plan?

Also, I tended to pay for F on TCON flights to take advantage of the bonus MQMs. It just doesn't make sense to do that now.

However, being based out of TPA, I see the highest percentage of DM flyers competing for upgrades. So I do welcome the chance to see fewer elites in the U/G pool.
I think the Q in MQM is still a valid reason. There will be two scales....
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: Charter/Former 4 time DL Diamond now Platinum, AAExecPlat, MM+ on three carriers, more ...
2025 SkyMiles Program News from Delta

Today, you’ll begin to read information through various sources about the 2025 SkyMiles program. We know how engaged you are with the program so we wanted you to be among the first to get the details of what’s in store as soon as we could share the details.

The items below don’t go into effect until Jan. 1, 2025 so that we are able to give you the most advanced notice possible, as well as to allow you to learn about the changes before making travel plans.

Before we get too far into things, let’s begin with what’s not changing:

We are not changing. Only your benefits.

And now, here are the updates for 2025:

Redeeming miles
Your top concern has been clear – you have found it difficult to redeem the miles you’ve worked so hard to earn, so we’re eliminating Award Travel. Just like today, you'll be unable to redeem miles for Award Tickets on most Delta flights — only now you will know with certainty, so you need not bother to try. But, there are other things you’ll be most interested in are:

By eliminating Award availability we are making it easier for you to buy the seats that are most sought after.

New Simplified Award calendar. We will launch an all-new Award calendar. Since Awards are eliminated, it will be very, very simple.

Q&A
We know that you’ll have a number of questions about the changes, so we have a full list of Frequently Asked Questions available for you at delta.com/skymiles2025 but have also included a few here.

When will the changes happen? - Our auditors indicated that the sooner we act, the sooner we can restate our profits. So, if you do not behave, we might just start today!

What’s changing with how I will earn miles? - You will earn redeemable miles based on your ticket price just like in 2015 - only we will no longer trick you into thinking the miles have value.

If I purchase a Delta flight in a currency other than USD, how many miles will I earn? - As many as you would like. Pick a number. They are not worth anything!

How will I earn miles for partner airline flights? - Ask them. Why ask us - are we your brother's keeper?

When will the 2025 Award charts be available? - They will be available at the last possible moment - but since there are no awards why do you need them?

As you can expect, we have a team of SkyMiles experts in Atlanta and across the organization who are actively reading your responses in the coming days. We know who you are and will find you.

We look forward to bringing you a better SkyMiles program in 2025.

SkyMilesTeam
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by ddng
A few things in response:
- This is catered to the high margin flyers who book higher class fares. Understandable from a business perspective.
- This negatively affects corporations. Employees will now try to book higher class fares if they want to earn miles. Also afraid of the the tax implications.
- Those who often took the coast-coast route will now see Sky-dong instead of Pesos. My travel patterns is pushing me towards American
I don't know what corporations you work for but if I started booking higher fares my project manager would be on my back within a few weeks...I don't really think corporations will take a hit from this, only the employees will.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I guess this is one way to "thin the heard"

Unusual for me, I flights already booked to get me (with rollover) too 100K MQM (plus another 10K Amex if I stick with it). I was about to book another couple of TATL flights but will hold off on those to see what falls out.

I don't use miles much myself (except for PMW to buy up to F and once for J) so in one sense it won't impact me much (so far). I am an Amex Waiver Baby -- I have PM MQD but DM MQM, my earnings will be 40% of before (60% decrease). So obviously I am somebody Delta wants to get ride of

I was going to hold on to try and get DM again for the GUC but if UA/AA offers a decent match/challenge, I'll seriously think it over. They only routes I fly nonstop are LAX-ATL and LAX-SEA so it would only change where I connect.

Upgrades have been getting tougher and with the new certs it won't get any better. So dropping to PM next year probably won't make that much difference on any residual DL flying.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Apologise if this has been already discussed in the thread, but "MQM" is too short to be searched.
What happens to MQM in 2015 ? Will they still be calculated based on miles, or on $$ ?

Also, when I travel un SkyTeam partners, as a PM I would still collect 2x geographical miles instead of 9x $$ spent. A quick check on a "classic" TATL gives me a huge advantage for the first method. It seems that once one has secured the desired Medallion level, then it would be not smart to keep booking on Delta
Of course, they say that partners miles will be calculated on a combination of distance and fare class, which could mean the 100% medallion bonus is gone for good.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
$0.20 cents per mile for a non-elite, non-CC-carrying DL flyer? Hahahahah, that's hysterical! DL miles are worthless!

I saw the signs a few years ago with the DL SkyMiles program and switched. I just home that UA and AA have the sense not to to this. They'll certainly keep my business if they don't.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Think about those long haul intl flyers... buy a ticket from the east coast to Asia, of which several hundred are taxes/govt fees which don't count in the calculation. On lower fares it is easily a 65% reduction or more in mileage earning across the board.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Did I hear the other shoe hit the floor ;)

How y'all doin in here!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by brewdog11
$0.20 cents per mile for a non-elite, non-CC-carrying DL flyer? Hahahahah, that's hysterical! DL miles are worthless!

I saw the signs a few years ago with the DL SkyMiles program and switched. I just home that UA and AA have the sense not to to this. They'll certainly keep my business if they don't.
....and if they DO, then where will you go?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:31 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by avidflyer
How y'all doin in here!
Nice to see you back!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:33 pm

Exactly...I can't stand any more favors from Delta!!!!

Originally Posted by Madrugada
I wish Delta would stop responding to our feedback and making efforts to improve our travel experience.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Southwest awards both miles and tier level off of dollars spent, people don't seem to be having massive tax implications there, how is this any different?

Southwest also gives you free wifi for being in their highest tier of loyalty

There are several airlines that award all loyalty programs based on dollars spent, if you think AA and United won't follow suit once they see Delta's profits, you are fooling yourself.

No one knows the REAL implications until we see the 5 tiers of awards.....

Based on my spend and my travel, I will come out MASSIVELY better off and have prayed for this for a while, I hope they announce that MQM be based on spend as well. I know this isn't popular, but for some travelers it is nice.

It really sucks sitting in a set you know you paid $1496 for and next to you is someone who paid $139 and you get the same exact benefits, hell I am only PM, so as a DM, they may get more benefits than I would, yet who made Delta more money that day?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
The Mileage Runner has ceased to be
It is an ex mileage runner
The mileage runner has gone to meet his/her maker
The mileage run can not run even if you put 4 million volts through him/her
RIP mileage runner
You forgot the line from some recordings of this skit... "He f***ing snuffed it!"
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by singlephile
Dear Delta, YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!! The 2015 SkyMiles earning program is OUTRAGEOUS!! It effectively slashes the number of miles I earn for reward tickets by 50-60%!!!! What kind of appreciation for your frequent fliers is this!?!?! Everyone knows that the value of miles has dropped, that platinum is the old gold and that getting a complimentary upgrade even at diamond level is harder than ever and now you want to ask us to bend over and take it after the upteen thousands of dollars we each spend on a yearly basis at your airline!? To break even with 2014 my company would have to buy a class ticket some 4-5 times more expensive than they do now. Do you think they're actually going to do that? We wouldn't be in business long if they did and you can bet you frequent fliers are going to spend the next year banking up miles and shopping the other airlines for the better deal. Some offer status level swaps, so you can bet, as a platinum member I'll be looking at those. Thanks for nothing.
For a first post, the title "Not even a reacharound?" is masterful. Welcome to FT!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:39 pm

Thumbs down

Apologies if it has been said before (skimmed most of the the thread, but not all)....

SkyMiles Program becomes SkyDollar Program. Total loyalty nerf.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.