Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 SkyMiles Program News from Delta

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 3:42 am

Honestly, I was expecting this to happen instead of the MQD changes this year. The announcement still took me by surprise because I expected them to let the new MQD system sink in for a couple years before moving to a dollar-based system.

I'm surprised at how complicated they've made this now. LCCs like JetBlue have examples of how to make clean, simple dollar based point systems. But Delta now has dollar-based redeemable miles, distance-based MQMs, and dollar-based MQDs. W.T.F. Did they not realize that they're already accounting for dollar value in the new redeemable miles, and just use them for status determination instead of having a complicated distance+dollar MQM system just for status?

I'll be looking forward to the new award redemption charts. Again, why not just make them fare-based with a fixed(ish) cpm like JetBlue?

I'm glad I'm crediting all my DL flying to AS this year, though :P
Old Feb 26, 2014, 3:44 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott: Titanium
But on a positive note the miles I have been saving for years might now become easier to use? I assume a mile before 2015 and a mile earned after 2015 is still a redeemable mile. Keeping my fingers crossed that more low award seat availability and one way awards may make my miles more usable!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 3:46 am

Programs: DL DM/MM
Well, the miles value is now way too low (it is pointless to get thousands of miles per flight if then you need a few hudred thousands to buy an award ticket), if this will increase their value it is a positive change, that maybe will drive other redeeming options.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 3:49 am

Programs: DL SM, CX GREEN
Originally Posted by timetosave
But on a positive note the miles I have been saving for years might now become easier to use? I assume a mile before 2015 and a mile earned after 2015 is still a redeemable mile. Keeping my fingers crossed that more low award seat availability and one way awards may make my miles more usable!
Does this mean a massive mileage run in 2014 is the best trick here?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 3:51 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
For me this will actually be a wash at least running the numbers for 2010-2014 est. I do appreciate the fact that we were told so early in 2014. Got to give a big ^ to DL for doing this so early in the year.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 3:56 am
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer

No mention of "old" miles vs "new" miles so I guess my current "horde" will still be good?
Your existing miles are safe and are no different from the miles you will earn in 2015. In fact, going forward, your current miles will be even more valuable since you’ll be able to use them more easily with these new redemption options.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 3:59 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by Zamees
Does this mean a massive mileage run in 2014 is the best trick here?
I would have to say yes based on the information we have. The real question will be will the award calendar get better.?? There have been promises before.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 4:04 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_6 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B651 Safari/9537.53)

Seems like a massive redistribution scheme to me. Sure, less miles for many members- but also more miles for the very high spenders (which granted there are less of).
I remember when FF programs were simple. But yeah, the industry changed forever with DL's announcement.

Smisek is licking his chops in Chicago
Old Feb 26, 2014, 4:07 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Some tales of gloom, and all takes of "dodged a bullet," are premature. Until we see this new five-layer award table, we don't have the full context.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 4:09 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
It feels like DL is being disingenuous only disclosing half of the picture at this point. Nearly certainly the redemption charts are completed (or could be completed if they wanted to).

@Delta Rep...Why the delay to Q4?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 4:10 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Well, I should reach million miler quicker

I buy mostly last minute refundable tickets, so Y or B fare

I spent $36,200 last year and received 85,000 mqm and 107,000 miles

I guess the changes wouldn't affect my MQM and I would still be PM, but I would have received at a minimum 250,000 miles

Or I could be reading it very wrong early in the morning and I am all screwed up....now if we wait until 2016 and GM, PM, DM will be tied 100% to spend

Last edited by Hipplewm; Feb 26, 2014 at 5:08 am
Old Feb 26, 2014, 4:27 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by SkyMilesTeam
Your existing miles are safe and are no different from the miles you will earn in 2015. In fact, going forward, your current miles will be even more valuable since you’ll be able to use them more easily with these new redemption options.
I really hope this is the case!! I have found not having one way redemptions (and having a way to look for awards online through partners!!!) has been the biggest deterrent to me being able to use these miles. My award travel is not so well planned in advance so I face so many fees and it takes ages to get a hold of an agent who knows how to search partner inventory as a Silver. Of course none of this was a problem when I was a DM .

But you know what they say, if it sounds too good to be true...
Old Feb 26, 2014, 4:31 am

So, when looking at my cheap Delta ticket booked 12/26, I will currently earn almost 10,000 miles (counting elite bonus) - but next year, I would only earn 240!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 4:34 am

Programs: Some
One-way Awards

Although I rarely fly DL anymore, the one-way awards is a bit of welcome news and will hopefully prove helpful for mrs. mudbug and i to burn the remaining DL miles we have.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 4:34 am

Programs: DL GM, FL A+ Elite, WN A List
So wait, MQM earning stays as is but RDMs now earned differently.... Ok... Well then next logical step for 2016 program is all revenue.

For me, make out better on short haulx worse on transcons with LUT fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.