Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

delta cutting access to many of the international lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
As of May 1, 2014, Delta no longer provides status-based access to third party lounges (lounges operated neither by Delta nor by a SkyTeam partner) for passengers departing on a Delta-operated flight. Based on reports in this thread, this does not apply to passengers departing the airport they're in on a flight operated by a SkyTeam partner: all other SkyTeam partners continue to provide status-based access to third-party lounges to all SkyTeam Elite Plus members, including Delta elites. Access to third-party lounges is determined by the policy of the operating carrier of the flight departing the airport.

Nothing has changed for passengers flying in business or first class on Delta.

From the link provided in the OP:

SkyTeam Benefits

LOUNGE ACCESS
Effective May 1, 2014, all Delta third-party operated international lounges will become Business lounges. (6)
  • On or after May 1, 2014, Delta SkyTeam Elite Plus passengers flying in the economy cabin will only have access to DL Sky Clubs and SkyTeam Lounges.
  • Passengers must be traveling in Business Class to have access to Third Party Lounges.

Third party-operated Lounges:

Latin America & the Caribbean:

Bogota, CO (BOG)
Caracas, VE (CCS)
Lima, PE (LIM)
Quito, EC (UIO)

Europe/Africa/Middle East:
Accra, GH (ACC)
Arlanda, SE (ARN)
Athens, GR (ATH)
Barcelona, ES (BCN)
Brussels, BE (BRU)
Copenhagen, DK (CPH)
Dakar, SN (DKR)
Dubaij, AE (DXB)
Dublin, IE (DUB)
Dusseldorf, DE (DUS)
Frankfurt, DE (FRA)
Lagos, NG (LOS)
Madrid, ES (MAD)
Malaga, ES (AGP)
Malpensa, IT (MXP)
Manchester, GB (MAN)
Moscow, RU (SVO)
Mumbai, IN (BOM)
Munich, DE (MUC)
Nice, FR (NCE)
Pisa, IT (PSA)
Roberts, LR (ROB)
Shannon, IE (SNN)
Tel Aviv, IL (TLV)
Zurich, CH (ZRH)

Asia Pacific:
Bangkok, TH (BKK)
Beijing, CN (PEK)
Fukuoka, JP (FUK)
Guam, GU (GUM)
Hong Kong, HK (HKG) access to VS (partner) lounge. This lounge IS available to STE+, despite VS not being a SkyTeam partner.
Nagoya, JP (NGO)
Osaka, JP (KIX)
Saipan, MP (SPN)
Shanghai, CN (PVG)
Singapore, SG (SIN)
Sydney, AU (SYD) (no longer relevant after opening of SkyTeam lounge in Dec 2014)
Tokyo (Haneda), JP (HND) DL promotion provides access to two TIAT lounges at HND through Oct 31, 2017. Promotion includes any SkyClub member traveling on any airline same-day flight, and all GM, PM and DM members traveling on any DL flight. Extension of Haneda Lounge Access Promotion
Print Wikipost

delta cutting access to many of the international lounges

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2015, 8:05 am

Nah

Originally Posted by katstarr
Yet another devaluation.

Delta has changed its Sky Bonus Benefits page. Many international lounges will be renamed Business Lounges. Delta Elite Medallions will not have free access to these lounges after May 1, 2014, unless they are flying in a Business Elite class.

here is the page on the delta website:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-benefits.html

I just wrote about this on my blog Will Run For Miles

- http://first2board.com/willrunformil...te-medallions/
Old Nov 15, 2015, 8:07 am

Nah

Originally Posted by katstarr
Yet another devaluation.

Delta has changed its Sky Bonus Benefits page. Many international lounges will be renamed Business Lounges. Delta Elite Medallions will not have free access to these lounges after May 1, 2014, unless they are flying in a Business Elite class.

here is the page on the delta website:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-benefits.html

I just wrote about this on my blog Will Run For Miles

- http://first2board.com/willrunformil...te-medallions/
I am a PM flying Y and had no problem in June at LHR and October at AMS and DOH.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by FlyingWithers
I am a PM flying Y and had no problem in June at LHR and October at AMS and DOH.
That's most likely because your operating carrier wasn't Delta and/or the lounge was not 3rd party.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Grouchy
That's most likely because your operating carrier wasn't Delta and/or the lounge was not 3rd party.
Exactly. LHR and AMS are SkyTeam (or VS for LHR T3) lounges, and AFAIK DL does not operate its own metal to DOH.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by bennos
Exactly. LHR and AMS are SkyTeam (or VS for LHR T3) lounges, and AFAIK DL does not operate its own metal to DOH.
An important note here, ST Elite Plus status does not yield access to the VS Clubhouse; access is based on the DL-VS Joint Venture and VS is not apart of SkyTeam.

Pax traveling in J or DL PM/DM have access to the VS Clubhouse.

GM and SkyTeam Elite Plus pax get access to the No. 1 Traveller Lounge in T3.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by gooselee
Thank you for stating the policy I already know.

Please re-read to understand my frustration with how they were (not) applied on these flights, and the actual question I had regarding access for a guest as STE+.

All flights were on SkyTeam metal, and long-haul int'l flight was on DL metal.
BCN-PMI: Domestic itinerary in Y, yet I was given access (guest was able to use my Priority Pass)
PMI-MAD-ATL: Int'l itinerary in J, I was given access based on J ticket. Was summarily denied access for a guest (guest was on same flight in Y). I have no idea whether I would have been offered access in Y, as lounge agents in both PMI and MAD did not seem to think that STE+ status mattered at all.
could have been a mistake? coz when i am in Spain for the domestic flight also has no lounge access. F/J no guest but i suppose they should give you guest for STE+

No issue in MAD tho right?
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Felixishim
no international segment on the SAME day = NO lounge access.
IF international segment not SkyTeam = NO lounge access

http://www.skyteam.com/en/Why-SkyTea...Access-Policy/

"SkyTeam Elite Plus members, regardless of their travel class, are allowed access to a SkyTeam lounge at a particular airport if traveling on or connecting to/from a same-day international flight operated by a SkyTeam member airline. Simply present your same-day ticket for an international SkyTeam airline flight and a valid Elite Plus membership card."
I wonder: If I have a ticket SFO-JFK redeye, connecting to JFK-europe the following day (say, 2-hour layover), am I entitled to Sky Club access in SFO?

(Well, I am anyway, but what about a GM who isn't otherwise entitled to Sky Club access?)
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:34 am

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
It appears there is no lounge for DL in YVR checking their SkyClub page which should also list partner lounge
Thanks for the reply. I know there's no SkyClub at YVR, but no 3rd party lounges?
Old Nov 16, 2015, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sethb
I wonder: If I have a ticket SFO-JFK redeye, connecting to JFK-europe the following day (say, 2-hour layover), am I entitled to Sky Club access in SFO?

(Well, I am anyway, but what about a GM who isn't otherwise entitled to Skyclub access?)
Yes, they consider that to be same day for access purposes. Redeyes and their connecting flights, are treated as same day travel in cases like this.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 4:51 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LAX/HKG
Thanks for the reply. I know there's no SkyClub at YVR, but no 3rd party lounges?
Not that I know of. KL uses a contract lounge that is pretty darn sad in YVR; we're talking cup noodles and hospital Jello here. DL has no long haul international flights there, so no relationship of any kind with the contract lounge folks.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Which lounge does DL use at YVR for its J/F customers flying to USA?
It appears there is no lounge for DL in YVR checking their SkyClub page which should also list partner lounge
Originally Posted by BenA
Not that I know of. KL uses a contract lounge that is pretty darn sad in YVR; we're talking cup noodles and hospital Jello here. DL has no long haul international flights there, so no relationship of any kind with the contract lounge folks.
Most major Canadian airports have pre-clear US departure where US DHS CBP immigration and customs are done at the departure airport.
After pax clearing for admission to US they are held in a specific US departure area. DL does not operate lounge in any Canadian airport's US departure area.

The YVR and other Canadian airport KL departure lounges( YYZ YUL) are in the international departure area which is a separate area airside and is only accessible with an international departure boarding pass.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
could have been a mistake? coz when i am in Spain for the domestic flight also has no lounge access. F/J no guest but i suppose they should give you guest for STE+

No issue in MAD tho right?

If you read the previous posts (including the one you quoted), MAD was actually the BIGGEST problem out of all of my departure/connection points.

I'm not sure how I can be more clear.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by sethb

(Well, I am anyway, but what about a GM who isn't otherwise entitled to Sky Club access?)
It is my understanding that if all of this is on one ticket, then you are entitled to club access starting at SFO.
Old May 5, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, QR Platinum, KL Gold
Since the consensus here is that operating carrier is the determining factor on lounge access and third-party lounges should be OK if not flying DL, I'd like to share my experience of being denied lounge access in Manila three times in a row as DL GM when ticketed on and flying KLM in Y class (yes, as in expensive).
Old May 5, 2017, 10:36 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by L4ibsch
Since the consensus here is that operating carrier is the determining factor on lounge access and third-party lounges should be OK if not flying DL, I'd like to share my experience of being denied lounge access in Manila three times in a row as DL GM when ticketed on and flying KLM in Y class (yes, as in expensive).
This doesn't match my experience with KL - access to third party lounges for STE+ in Y is one of the only things they manage to usually do right. Have you reached out to KLM via Twitter or Facebook Messenger to complain? They tend to actually be really responsive through those channels and perhaps you could get an explanation for why the lounge access was denied.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.