Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

delta cutting access to many of the international lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
As of May 1, 2014, Delta no longer provides status-based access to third party lounges (lounges operated neither by Delta nor by a SkyTeam partner) for passengers departing on a Delta-operated flight. Based on reports in this thread, this does not apply to passengers departing the airport they're in on a flight operated by a SkyTeam partner: all other SkyTeam partners continue to provide status-based access to third-party lounges to all SkyTeam Elite Plus members, including Delta elites. Access to third-party lounges is determined by the policy of the operating carrier of the flight departing the airport.

Nothing has changed for passengers flying in business or first class on Delta.

From the link provided in the OP:

SkyTeam Benefits

LOUNGE ACCESS
Effective May 1, 2014, all Delta third-party operated international lounges will become Business lounges. (6)
  • On or after May 1, 2014, Delta SkyTeam Elite Plus passengers flying in the economy cabin will only have access to DL Sky Clubs and SkyTeam Lounges.
  • Passengers must be traveling in Business Class to have access to Third Party Lounges.

Third party-operated Lounges:

Latin America & the Caribbean:

Bogota, CO (BOG)
Caracas, VE (CCS)
Lima, PE (LIM)
Quito, EC (UIO)

Europe/Africa/Middle East:
Accra, GH (ACC)
Arlanda, SE (ARN)
Athens, GR (ATH)
Barcelona, ES (BCN)
Brussels, BE (BRU)
Copenhagen, DK (CPH)
Dakar, SN (DKR)
Dubaij, AE (DXB)
Dublin, IE (DUB)
Dusseldorf, DE (DUS)
Frankfurt, DE (FRA)
Lagos, NG (LOS)
Madrid, ES (MAD)
Malaga, ES (AGP)
Malpensa, IT (MXP)
Manchester, GB (MAN)
Moscow, RU (SVO)
Mumbai, IN (BOM)
Munich, DE (MUC)
Nice, FR (NCE)
Pisa, IT (PSA)
Roberts, LR (ROB)
Shannon, IE (SNN)
Tel Aviv, IL (TLV)
Zurich, CH (ZRH)

Asia Pacific:
Bangkok, TH (BKK)
Beijing, CN (PEK)
Fukuoka, JP (FUK)
Guam, GU (GUM)
Hong Kong, HK (HKG) access to VS (partner) lounge. This lounge IS available to STE+, despite VS not being a SkyTeam partner.
Nagoya, JP (NGO)
Osaka, JP (KIX)
Saipan, MP (SPN)
Shanghai, CN (PVG)
Singapore, SG (SIN)
Sydney, AU (SYD) (no longer relevant after opening of SkyTeam lounge in Dec 2014)
Tokyo (Haneda), JP (HND) DL promotion provides access to two TIAT lounges at HND through Oct 31, 2017. Promotion includes any SkyClub member traveling on any airline same-day flight, and all GM, PM and DM members traveling on any DL flight. Extension of Haneda Lounge Access Promotion
Print Wikipost

delta cutting access to many of the international lounges

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL does fly to SIN on its own metal, but the lounge DL uses there is a contract lounge.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Delta flies NRT-SIN and return every day.
Oops; my mistake fixed. So that's the one airport in which FlyingWithers' ability to access a lounge based on status is surprising (assuming [s]he was actually flying DL metal; again, if not, no surprise).
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:32 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
You guys gotta get a priority pass it's a life saver
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:10 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by LBJ
There's a link to lounge locations for the airports on itins, but that's not an indication that you get free access.
When I clicked on the lounge for Guam on my itin, there was an Access Rules button (lower left of the box). The rules then that popped up were the expansive ones. Are you saying that button is not meant to show access for THAT club? Because there was no indication that was so (and no reference to any other rules).
Old Nov 21, 2014, 2:08 am

Programs: Delta PM
I just flew DXB-ATL on coach as PM. Even though DXB is on the list of airports where coach passengers are no longer allowed access to partner lounges, regardless of status, I was granted access to the AF lounge. It all seemed routine -- the check-in agent simply stamped my ticket without my asking and told me I had access. It is a pretty sorry lounge (I used the EK lounge the week before as comparison), but still worth something.

Is anyone keeping a list of airports where the practice has remained as before, in spite of the new policy? I know at MXP they adhere to the new policy strictly (at least I struck out twice asking).

Maybe this is like the JFK-SEA no-courtesy-upgrade policy, which I also had DL violate on me in what seemed a routine way.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by aptenodytes
I just flew DXB-ATL on coach as PM. Even though DXB is on the list of airports where coach passengers are no longer allowed access to partner lounges, regardless of status, I was granted access to the AF lounge. It all seemed routine -- the check-in agent simply stamped my ticket without my asking and told me I had access. It is a pretty sorry lounge (I used the EK lounge the week before as comparison), but still worth something.
I believe that inclusion on that list means that there is a third party lounge that Elite+ members had access to before this policy. It does not mean that there isn't a Sky Team operated lounge. If there is a Sky Team operated lounge (as there is at DXB), Elite+ members get access when flying a Sky Team marketed and operated flight (including Delta), no matter what Delta says.

Obviously, it's airports at which there is no Sky Team lounge at which this policy hurts most. But Delta likes to keep things confusing.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by tentseller
Can you tell me who was flying me DL166 Nov 17 SIN NRT?
Jeez...chill...you don't have to be a smarta** about it.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by ashill
I believe that inclusion on that list means that there is a third party lounge that Elite+ members had access to before this policy. It does not mean that there isn't a Sky Team operated lounge. If there is a Sky Team operated lounge (as there is at DXB), Elite+ members get access when flying a Sky Team marketed and operated flight (including Delta), no matter what Delta says.

Obviously, it's airports at which there is no Sky Team lounge at which this policy hurts most. But Delta likes to keep things confusing.
I see, but the lounge at MXP that I can longer get into is the exact same kind of lounge, an Alitalia lounge. I thought the new policy meant you were barred from any lounge in the listed airports, regardless of who operated the lounge. That is, if I'm flying Delta in coach through MXP I am not allowed in the Alitalia lounge anymore.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:21 am

I see, but the lounge at MXP that I can longer get into is the exact same kind of lounge, an Alitalia lounge. I thought the new policy meant you were barred from any lounge in the listed airports, regardless of who operated the lounge. That is, if I'm flying Delta in coach through MXP I am not allowed in the Alitalia lounge anymore.
I don't know MXP, but according to the Skyteam Lounge finder, all the lounges in MXP are "Via Milano Club S.E.A. – Sala Pergolesi". Compare to FCO, where the lounges are described as "Alitalia". So I guess the MXP lounges aren't operated by Alitalia and are thus third party. Delta.com indicates that there's an Alitalia-operated lounge in the Schengen area.

(Note that third party lounges often have logos for the airlines that use them for their passengers, but that doesn't mean they're the operating airline.)

Originally Posted by Oakshadow
Seems both ATH and MXP are out. With my experience in these airports, both have non-ST contract lounges for ST pax who are entitled lounge access.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
The SkyTeam rules regarding lounge access are still in force.

If you are SkyTeam Elite Plus (DL SM Gold or higher), you will still be able to gain free access to any Alitalia lounge regardless of the class you're flying in (as long as you are flying on a SkyTeam ticket).

http://www.alitalia.com/en_en/Images...tcm17-1297.pdf
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
The SkyTeam rules regarding lounge access are still in force.

If you are SkyTeam Elite Plus (DL SM Gold or higher), you will still be able to gain free access to any Alitalia lounge regardless of the class you're flying in (as long as you are flying on a SkyTeam ticket).

http://www.alitalia.com/en_en/Images...tcm17-1297.pdf
That's weird. I've been turned away from four Alitalia lounges since May, flying Delta with PM status.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by ashill
I don't know MXP, but according to the Skyteam Lounge finder, all the lounges in MXP are "Via Milano Club S.E.A. – Sala Pergolesi". Compare to FCO, where the lounges are described as "Alitalia". So I guess the MXP lounges aren't operated by Alitalia and are thus third party. Delta.com indicates that there's an Alitalia-operated lounge in the Schengen area.

(Note that third party lounges often have logos for the airlines that use them for their passengers, but that doesn't mean they're the operating airline.)
OK, so that explains my confusion. Thanks very much for clearing it up. I guess I need to add this to the list of nuances I need to take into account before making final booking choices, along with which miles count toward MQM and which don't.

Thanks for the link to the Skyteam Lounge Finder.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, so that explains my confusion. Thanks very much for clearing it up. I guess I need to add this to the list of nuances I need to take into account before making final booking choices, along with which miles count toward MQM and which don't.

Thanks for the link to the Skyteam Lounge Finder.
I wouldn't rely to heavily on the Skyteam Lounge Finder as there is reason to believe it's not entirely up-to-date (for example the LAXSUL lounge at LAX is no longer a Skyteam contract lounge). Also, if you are flying DL metal, don't expect to get into any of the third party lounges listed there based on Skyteam ElitePlus status.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:21 am

Flying AF HND-CDG in October, I was given an invite to the JAL lounge. Was travelling in PE. Lounge was very nice.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
On MU ticketed & operated flights in Y, I was given lounge access at HKG, PVG & ICN. Only HKG was a contract lounge, I believe.

Haven't had any issues getting into lounges operated by ST airlines when flying on DL... AF, KL, AZ, KE and MU have all granted me access without issue.

I was even able to get into a KE lounge at ICN while flying on an MU flight/ticket. MU lounge is right next to a KE one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.