Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

delta cutting access to many of the international lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
As of May 1, 2014, Delta no longer provides status-based access to third party lounges (lounges operated neither by Delta nor by a SkyTeam partner) for passengers departing on a Delta-operated flight. Based on reports in this thread, this does not apply to passengers departing the airport they're in on a flight operated by a SkyTeam partner: all other SkyTeam partners continue to provide status-based access to third-party lounges to all SkyTeam Elite Plus members, including Delta elites. Access to third-party lounges is determined by the policy of the operating carrier of the flight departing the airport.

Nothing has changed for passengers flying in business or first class on Delta.

From the link provided in the OP:

SkyTeam Benefits

LOUNGE ACCESS
Effective May 1, 2014, all Delta third-party operated international lounges will become Business lounges. (6)
  • On or after May 1, 2014, Delta SkyTeam Elite Plus passengers flying in the economy cabin will only have access to DL Sky Clubs and SkyTeam Lounges.
  • Passengers must be traveling in Business Class to have access to Third Party Lounges.

Third party-operated Lounges:

Latin America & the Caribbean:

Bogota, CO (BOG)
Caracas, VE (CCS)
Lima, PE (LIM)
Quito, EC (UIO)

Europe/Africa/Middle East:
Accra, GH (ACC)
Arlanda, SE (ARN)
Athens, GR (ATH)
Barcelona, ES (BCN)
Brussels, BE (BRU)
Copenhagen, DK (CPH)
Dakar, SN (DKR)
Dubaij, AE (DXB)
Dublin, IE (DUB)
Dusseldorf, DE (DUS)
Frankfurt, DE (FRA)
Lagos, NG (LOS)
Madrid, ES (MAD)
Malaga, ES (AGP)
Malpensa, IT (MXP)
Manchester, GB (MAN)
Moscow, RU (SVO)
Mumbai, IN (BOM)
Munich, DE (MUC)
Nice, FR (NCE)
Pisa, IT (PSA)
Roberts, LR (ROB)
Shannon, IE (SNN)
Tel Aviv, IL (TLV)
Zurich, CH (ZRH)

Asia Pacific:
Bangkok, TH (BKK)
Beijing, CN (PEK)
Fukuoka, JP (FUK)
Guam, GU (GUM)
Hong Kong, HK (HKG) access to VS (partner) lounge. This lounge IS available to STE+, despite VS not being a SkyTeam partner.
Nagoya, JP (NGO)
Osaka, JP (KIX)
Saipan, MP (SPN)
Shanghai, CN (PVG)
Singapore, SG (SIN)
Sydney, AU (SYD) (no longer relevant after opening of SkyTeam lounge in Dec 2014)
Tokyo (Haneda), JP (HND) DL promotion provides access to two TIAT lounges at HND through Oct 31, 2017. Promotion includes any SkyClub member traveling on any airline same-day flight, and all GM, PM and DM members traveling on any DL flight. Extension of Haneda Lounge Access Promotion
Print Wikipost

delta cutting access to many of the international lounges

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2019, 5:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Assuming that both fares are business class, ot would help to post the exact routings and lounge locations as Swissport has lounges around the world while I'm sure that DL doesn't fly from LIM to ATH without a choice of some connections.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 6:04 am

Programs: 2018: Delta Diamond Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Assuming that both fares are business class, ot would help to post the exact routings and lounge locations as Swissport has lounges around the world while I'm sure that DL doesn't fly from LIM to ATH without a choice of some connections.

Oh, these are separate trips. They just both happen to be i business class fares

In Oct I’m flying DL RT out of JFK....then in Nov JFK-MEX-LIM and back on an AM marketed RT itinerary

looking for lounge options pre-departure on my way back to the States
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I'm flying out of MUC to CDG, then onto DTW. the MUC to CDG is Economy on Air France but my flight from CDG to DTW is in Delta One. I'm Platinum and have a Delta Reserve card. Will I have access to the AF club in MUC? Thanks!
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by IDtoTX
I'm flying out of MUC to CDG, then onto DTW. the MUC to CDG is Economy on Air France but my flight from CDG to DTW is in Delta One. I'm Platinum and have a Delta Reserve card. Will I have access to the AF club in MUC? Thanks!
Yes on the basis of SkyTeam ElitePlus status (DL PM) departing on an AF international flight.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Yes on the basis of SkyTeam ElitePlus status (DL PM) departing on an AF international flight.
Thank you!
Old Sep 13, 2019, 5:18 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Delta Gold Medallion here. My GF and I have a SEA-HKT flight in Premium Economy on October 22nd and returning HKT-SEA on the 29th, both stopping in ICN. I know I'll have access to the SEA Skyclub on the departing day, but will I have access to any clubs in ICN? I've seen conflicting reports as to whether or not any of the KE lounges would be available to us, assuming that there are no actual DL SkyClubs in Incheon. Thanks for any help!
Old Sep 13, 2019, 5:27 pm

The KE lounges at ICN are actual SkyTeam member operated lounges, so as a SkyTeam ElitePlus (DL GM+) traveling on an international SkyTeam itinerary, you and one guest have access to any KE lounges that aren't contract lounges. Be prepared to show evidence of your GM+ status in case it doesn't print on your boarding pass.

Note; KE might have a lounge at HKT, so on the return be sure to ask at the check in counter and get an invitation if there's a contract lounge that requires it.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
The KE lounges at ICN are actual SkyTeam member operated lounges, so as a SkyTeam ElitePlus (DL GM+) traveling on an international SkyTeam itinerary, you and one guest have access to any KE lounges that aren't contract lounges. Be prepared to show evidence of your GM+ status in case it doesn't print on your boarding pass.

Note; KE might have a lounge at HKT, so on the return be sure to ask at the check in counter and get an invitation if there's a contract lounge that requires it.
Thank you, I appreciate it. DL.com shows that I would have access as a ST Elite +, but also says "ST Elite + does not include access to third-party lounges", so that was the main source of confusion. Is there any way to tell which lounges are ST-operated vs. third party? I just assumed KE was the "3rd party" and thus would preclude me from accessing said lounge.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3rd party lounges are operated by non-airline entities or airlines that are not a part of Skyteam. DL pays for access to these lounges for those who are flying Delta One, but not for it's Skyteam Elite Plus members flying in coach. Since KE is a Skyteam member, it's lounges are not considered 3rd party lounges.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 6:28 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by xliioper
3rd party lounges are operated by non-airline entities or airlines that are not a part of Skyteam. DL pays for access to these lounges for those who are flying Delta One, but not for it's Skyteam Elite Plus members flying in coach. Since KE is a Skyteam member, it's lounges are not considered 3rd party lounges.
All true except the remaining question is whether KE (a Skyteam member) might be using a 3rd party lounge on the journey
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:02 pm

Does my digital Delta GM card suffice or do I need a hard copy? I never actually GOT a real card, although I thought they were supposed to send this year. I'm guessing my plastic United Premier Gold card won't fool them, either...
Old Sep 13, 2019, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
All true except the remaining question is whether KE (a Skyteam member) might be using a 3rd party lounge on the journey
Doesnt matter. The third pary restriction is only when flying DL. All other ST airlines provide access to same lounge as J passengers regardless of if its third party or not. In Phuket KE will send OP to whatever lounge they send J passengers to.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:26 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Daitheflu84
Does my digital Delta GM card suffice or do I need a hard copy? I never actually GOT a real card, although I thought they were supposed to send this year. I'm guessing my plastic United Premier Gold card won't fool them, either...
Your boarding pass should show your status and that has always been good enough for me in any lounge.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 1:26 pm

This thread should be closed, this policy change was several years ago and the new questions in here would be better answered in other existing threads
cygnus likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.