Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

10 hr layover in CDG - possible to take an earlier connection or go into city?

Old Sep 11, 19, 8:02 am
Used to be FlyingMedallionDL
Original Poster

Location: Manhattan, Upper East Side, New York, NY & Los Angeles, CA
Programs: DL PM, Delta Reserve

Hi all,
I have a 10 hour layover in CDG this week but wanted to see if there was any way I could ask the agents at LAX or CDG if they could put me on an earlier connection to LIS as a Platinum Delta member. I am flying on all AF-metal, though. I know I should have booked the more desired connection but I was cheap and wanted to save the $600+ dollars last month.

If it is unlikely that agents will help me in my regard, do you think I could go into town and have lunch? I do have to pick up something for someone at the main Guerlain perfumeries (Champs-Elysées?). Does anyone have any suggestions on some great places for a good casual Parisian lunch and how to get there as well as to Guerlain by public transportation from CDG?

Thank you all!
Thanks
Old Sep 11, 19, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyingdoc747 View Post
Hi all,
I have a 10 hour layover in CDG this week but wanted to see if there was any way I could ask the agents at LAX or CDG if they could put me on an earlier connection to LIS as a Platinum Delta member. I am flying on all AF-metal, though. I know I should have booked the more desired connection but I was cheap and wanted to save the $600+ dollars last month.

If it is unlikely that agents will help me in my regard, do you think I could go into town and have lunch? I do have to pick up something for someone at Guerlain perfumes. Does anyone have any suggestions on some great places for a good casual Parisian lunch and how to get there as well as to Guerlain by public transportation from CDG?

Thank you all!
Thanks
Absent IRROPS or a schedule change you'll fly what you booked. AF agents definitely wont do it if for no other reason then AF doesnt have a SDC/SDS program. Also even if they were willing most have bags, which must fly with you, which means cant even ask at CDG. (In case wonder why it can be done in US with bags, US domestic flights are exempt from bag matching)
Old Sep 11, 19, 8:17 am

Programs: DL GM, Bonvoy Gold
10 hours is certainly enough time to travel into the city, but it's not a quick trip. With traffic it could be well over an hour each way. Personally I would not want to add 2+ hours of commute time after an international flight--I would just go to the lounge, have a shower, and relax. In the future, if you are looking at a long layover and AMS is a connection option, transit into Amsterdam is much quicker and easier.
Old Sep 11, 19, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last year I had a 12 hour connection and went into the city for the day, and there was plenty of time for a handful of activities, including shower/breakfast at the AF arrivals lounge, lunch, and a trip up the Eiffel Tower, as well as stopping at Gare du Nord in both directions to leave my carry-ons in a locker (the luggage storage at the airport closed too early in the evning).
For 10 hours, I would absolutely still go into town.
I think it's only ~40 minutes on the RER to Les Halles, and they do run express trains outside of the rush hour (they go nonstop after Gare du Nord) that save ~10 minutes (if you can avoid rush hour entirely on the RER, that would be preferred!)

Last edited by ijgordon; Sep 11, 19 at 4:15 pm Reason: Express RER clarification
Old Sep 11, 19, 10:01 am

Programs: DL DM; AFKL FBE
It's possible, but perhaps not enjoyable. Much of it depends upon the time of day and the day of week: if you are planning on using the RER at peak times, it can be tricky, but be patient and it could be done.
Re: other questions. Paris has no end of enjoyable restaurants of any type, although if you don't know the city and any of its neighborhoods, there is increased likelihood of you ending up in a tourist trap (i.e. not so good). As for perfumes, I would google that...
Bonne chance et bon voyage!
PS: if you don't wish to go in and need sleep, the YoTel in terminal 2E-Hall L is nice for a few hours sleep, shower and such. But don't clear through pass control first, as it will not be possible to go back, as you'd be in the Schengen flight (similar to domestic US) getting to Lisbon, likely from 2F.
Old Sep 11, 19, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much to everyone! It’s been 17 years since I had last toured the city (I typically just connect through CDG). Let me know if you know of any good gems of places to grab lunch near the champs elysees! I even forgot how to use the RER!
Old Sep 11, 19, 10:33 am

Is "this week" this Friday, 13 September? If so, be aware there's a major RATP strike (English, French news) which, among many other things, will severely limit service on the RER B, which is the line that goes to and from the airport: 20% of normal train service in rush hours (6:30-9:30 and 17:00-20:00), a forced transfer at Gare du Nord, no service outside of rush hours. Given that there is also going to be severe disruption on the metro and that taxis and alternative transport are presumably going to be mobbed, I'd avoid going into Paris if your layover is Friday.

However, if you're not going in that day, then a 10-hour layover is a perfectly reasonable amount of time. Presumably -- hopefully! --you won't have a lot of luggage on you, so you won't have to take a taxi, which is 5x as expensive if you're traveling solo, since it's €10.30 on the RER vs. €50-55 for a taxi, each way. (In fact, I believe the €17.80 Mobilis zone 1-5 day pass is now valid for the RER to/from the airport, which didn't use to be the case; if that's so you could get a Mobilis day pass which would also grant you unlimited RATP travel).

Once you get to the CDG rail station it's an easy trip to the Guerlain flagship store at 68 ave des Champs-Elysées -- take the RER B into Paris and transfer at Châtelet-Les Halles for either line 1 to Franklin D. Roosevelt or RER A to Charles de Gaulle-Etoile. If you don't mind walking I'd probably take the RER A as the second leg as the cars are larger.
Gig103 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andrewesque View Post
Is "this week" this Friday, 13 September? If so, be aware there's a major RATP strike (English, French news) which, among many other things, will severely limit service on the RER B, which is the line that goes to and from the airport: 20% of normal train service in rush hours (6:30-9:30 and 17:00-20:00), a forced transfer at Gare du Nord, no service outside of rush hours. Given that there is also going to be severe disruption on the metro and that taxis and alternative transport are presumably going to be mobbed, I'd avoid going into Paris if your layover is Friday.

However, if you're not going in that day, then a 10-hour layover is a perfectly reasonable amount of time. Presumably -- hopefully! --you won't have a lot of luggage on you, so you won't have to take a taxi, which is 5x as expensive if you're traveling solo, since it's €10.30 on the RER vs. €50-55 for a taxi, each way. (In fact, I believe the €17.80 Mobilis zone 1-5 day pass is now valid for the RER to/from the airport, which didn't use to be the case; if that's so you could get a Mobilis day pass which would also grant you unlimited RATP travel).

Once you get to the CDG rail station it's an easy trip to the Guerlain flagship store at 68 ave des Champs-Elysées -- take the RER B into Paris and transfer at Châtelet-Les Halles for either line 1 to Franklin D. Roosevelt or RER A to Charles de Gaulle-Etoile. If you don't mind walking I'd probably take the RER A as the second leg as the cars are larger.
Thank you so much, Andrewesque! I’m arriving Saturday morning, 10:40Am. Do you think I should go into town the day after the strike (I Should’ve known, I just saw something on tv here in the DL SkyClub!). I think my luggage will be tagged all the way to LIS, so it will be lounging around somewhere in CDG, so I’ll just have a backpack with me. Thanks for the directions! I’ll try the RER. It will bring back memories. Haven’t seen the City of Lights since 2001
Old Sep 11, 19, 11:49 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by flyingdoc747 View Post
I think my luggage will be tagged all the way to LIS, so it will be lounging around somewhere in CDG, so I’ll just have a backpack with me.
Make sure whatever you buy in the city can get through security when you go back to CDG
flyingdoc747 and ksu like this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 11:54 am

I'll add another vote for "it's absolutely enough time". I've done trips into the city on six hour layovers with no problem (though I only travel with a backpack).

ijgordon and andrewesque's posts are both spot on
Old Sep 11, 19, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC the perfume place you want is off of Place Vendome, on rue de la Paix. Instead of taking the RER from CDG and switching to the metro, I'd use the airport bus to Operaand then walk. Also within walking distance you have the Louvre (likely to be packed), the art museum ot Gare d'Orsay, and the place off of Place de la Concorde with the Monet water lilly paintings.
flyingdoc747, MorganB and Adam1222 like this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth View Post
Make sure whatever you buy in the city can get through security when you go back to CDG
Thank you, pmarrsouth, WillBarrett and MSPEconomist!! Yeah, I’ll only have a backpack. I have a collapsible small duffel bag I can fit in my backpack so whatever I can buy can be checked in to LIS at the counter. I highly likely will get some French cologne. I appreciate everyone’s help!!
Old Sep 11, 19, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Also within walking distance would be to walk to and around the remains of Notre Dame, in order to see it before renovations are started.
flyingdoc747 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 1:27 pm

Programs: Delta GM
I had a 10 hour layover in CDG earlier this year and took the train into Etoile and ended up walking about 12 miles through Paris with my girlfriend and ended up at Gare du Nord which we found a train to go back to CDG. It was super worth it. Basically just walked towards the Eiffel Tower from Etoile (Champs Elysees) and then up the Seine, through the beautiful gardens and stopped by Notre Dame, then walked towards Sacre-Couer and then on to Gare du Nord.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 1:28 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
IIRC the perfume place you want is off of Place Vendome, on rue de la Paix. Instead of taking the RER from CDG and switching to the metro, I'd use the airport bus to Operaand then walk. Also within walking distance you have the Louvre (likely to be packed), the art museum ot Gare d'Orsay, and the place off of Place de la Concorde with the Monet water lilly paintings.
L’Orangerie is the museum with the water lily murals.

Search this Thread