Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

delta cutting access to many of the international lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
As of May 1, 2014, Delta no longer provides status-based access to third party lounges (lounges operated neither by Delta nor by a SkyTeam partner) for passengers departing on a Delta-operated flight. Based on reports in this thread, this does not apply to passengers departing the airport they're in on a flight operated by a SkyTeam partner: all other SkyTeam partners continue to provide status-based access to third-party lounges to all SkyTeam Elite Plus members, including Delta elites. Access to third-party lounges is determined by the policy of the operating carrier of the flight departing the airport.

Nothing has changed for passengers flying in business or first class on Delta.

From the link provided in the OP:

SkyTeam Benefits

LOUNGE ACCESS
Effective May 1, 2014, all Delta third-party operated international lounges will become Business lounges. (6)
  • On or after May 1, 2014, Delta SkyTeam Elite Plus passengers flying in the economy cabin will only have access to DL Sky Clubs and SkyTeam Lounges.
  • Passengers must be traveling in Business Class to have access to Third Party Lounges.

Third party-operated Lounges:

Latin America & the Caribbean:

Bogota, CO (BOG)
Caracas, VE (CCS)
Lima, PE (LIM)
Quito, EC (UIO)

Europe/Africa/Middle East:
Accra, GH (ACC)
Arlanda, SE (ARN)
Athens, GR (ATH)
Barcelona, ES (BCN)
Brussels, BE (BRU)
Copenhagen, DK (CPH)
Dakar, SN (DKR)
Dubaij, AE (DXB)
Dublin, IE (DUB)
Dusseldorf, DE (DUS)
Frankfurt, DE (FRA)
Lagos, NG (LOS)
Madrid, ES (MAD)
Malaga, ES (AGP)
Malpensa, IT (MXP)
Manchester, GB (MAN)
Moscow, RU (SVO)
Mumbai, IN (BOM)
Munich, DE (MUC)
Nice, FR (NCE)
Pisa, IT (PSA)
Roberts, LR (ROB)
Shannon, IE (SNN)
Tel Aviv, IL (TLV)
Zurich, CH (ZRH)

Asia Pacific:
Bangkok, TH (BKK)
Beijing, CN (PEK)
Fukuoka, JP (FUK)
Guam, GU (GUM)
Hong Kong, HK (HKG) access to VS (partner) lounge. This lounge IS available to STE+, despite VS not being a SkyTeam partner.
Nagoya, JP (NGO)
Osaka, JP (KIX)
Saipan, MP (SPN)
Shanghai, CN (PVG)
Singapore, SG (SIN)
Sydney, AU (SYD) (no longer relevant after opening of SkyTeam lounge in Dec 2014)
Tokyo (Haneda), JP (HND) DL promotion provides access to two TIAT lounges at HND through Oct 31, 2017. Promotion includes any SkyClub member traveling on any airline same-day flight, and all GM, PM and DM members traveling on any DL flight. Extension of Haneda Lounge Access Promotion
Print Wikipost

delta cutting access to many of the international lounges

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vbjd1111
When I clicked on the lounge for Guam on my itin, there was an Access Rules button (lower left of the box). The rules then that popped up were the expansive ones. Are you saying that button is not meant to show access for THAT club? Because there was no indication that was so (and no reference to any other rules).
No the access rules list, linked below and on the lounge locations page, are generic and were not meant to show the rules for any particular club --

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-of-terms.html

You determine the access rules for particular clubs by clicking the check box on the left reflecting your method of entry on the lounge locations list at https://www.delta.com/skyclub/viewSk...cations.action

If you enter "GUM" in the search field and select the "Delta SkyTeam Elite Plus Member (Delta Diamond, Platinum or Gold Medallion)*" check-box, you will see that no lounges are displayed. Only BE passengers are entitled to enter the third-party lounge at GUM.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by DeltaWings
On MU ticketed & operated flights in Y, I was given lounge access at HKG, PVG & ICN. Only HKG was a contract lounge, I believe.

Haven't had any issues getting into lounges operated by ST airlines when flying on DL... AF, KL, AZ, KE and MU have all granted me access without issue.

I was even able to get into a KE lounge at ICN while flying on an MU flight/ticket. MU lounge is right next to a KE one.
Honestly, I don't understand the surprise here. This is the most basic promise of an alliance: when you fly any qualifying* flight marketed and operated by any alliance member as an alliance Elite+/Sapphire/Emerald/Gold elite, you get access to any business class lounge operated by any lounge member. It says something that it's notable when this most basic benefit of alliance elite status works in SkyTeam. And again, this is not the topic of this thread, which is about non-SkyTeam operated lounges when on Delta metal.

*Of course, qualifying flight varies a bit by alliance, but certainly includes all long hauls.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Hey people, the change affects only entry to CONTRACT lounges when flying on DL OPERATED flights in coach as a SkyTeam ElitePlus. If it's a SkyTeam lounge or if your flight is not operated by DL, nothing has changed. Similarly, if you have a business or first class ticket, nothing has changed.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:27 am

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Some locations still offer lounge access to Skyteam elite plus traveling in Y. On my last few trips to Bangkok, I have been given passes to AF lounge in BKK while traveling on DL. Also last few trips to Shanghai I have been offered lounge access as well. Will update if i get lounge access on my trip to Moscow on December 8th.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Hey people, the change affects only entry to CONTRACT lounges when flying on DL OPERATED flights in coach as a SkyTeam ElitePlus. If it's a SkyTeam lounge or if your flight is not operated by DL, nothing has changed. Similarly, if you have a business or first class ticket, nothing has changed.
Originally Posted by Quinlanty
Some locations still offer lounge access to Skyteam elite plus traveling in Y. On my last few trips to Bangkok, I have been given passes to AF lounge in BKK while traveling on DL. Also last few trips to Shanghai I have been offered lounge access as well. Will update if i get lounge access on my trip to Moscow on December 8th.
AF and MU(PVG) are members of Skyteam and are DL's ST partner so their lounge are accessible under ST rules for DL flights.
So DL departure out of BKK and PVG one would have lounge access if they are GM or above.

For SVO, isn't SU a member of Skyteams?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
I added your post to the top of wiki. We'll see if it helps cut down on the repeated reports of success accessing ST lounges.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:28 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tentseller
AF and MU(PVG) are members of Skyteam and are DL's ST partner so their lounge are accessible under ST rules for DL flights.
So DL departure out of BKK and PVG one would have lounge access if they are GM or above.

Yes, SU is in SkyTeam, but SU has been having periodic squirmishes with partners--not just DL but AF/KLM too IIRC--over lounge use at SVO. SU claimed that its partners weren't paying.

MU is in SkyTeam, but at PVG I've been sent to a contract lounge when departing on DL in BE. I don't know where the MU (or presumably CZ too) lounges are located relative to the gate DL uses. When CZ sent me to their CZ lounge at PVG, it wasn't impressive but still was better than sitting at the gate. [I've had the same reaction to CZ lounges in other mainland Chinese airports, although in some places, a "vehicle" (not nearly as nice as the DL Porsche) drives you from the lounge to the aircraft so that you avoid being bussed to the plane with the crowd.]
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
MU is in SkyTeam, but at PVG I've been sent to a contract lounge when departing on DL in BE. I don't know where the MU (or presumably CZ too) lounges are located relative to the gate DL uses.
There is an MU lounge near gate 77 at PVG. I think my flight to NRT departed from gate 83 (if 83 is a bit of a hike from 77?) on Monday? Can't be certain, though. That is the only non-contract lounge I have used in PVG that I can recall. I will look back at my notes, though.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:14 am

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Sorry, I was under the impression that Skyteam lounges meant the new branded Skyteam lounge, not lounges run by sky team partners. Also I think the a lot of the confusion is because on the Delta Skyclub page, when you choose either BKK or PVG, and select lounge access for Skyteam Elite plus traveling in Y, it says no lounge access given.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by DeltaWings
There is an MU lounge near gate 77 at PVG. I think my flight to NRT departed from gate 83 (if 83 is a bit of a hike from 77?) on Monday? Can't be certain, though. That is the only non-contract lounge I have used in PVG that I can recall. I will look back at my notes, though.
The contract lounge that DL uses at PVG for BE passengers is up on the mezzanine level and has an open half wall on one side of the bar and soft seating areas. You can look down to the gate that DL had been using, but the last time I was there, the DL gate was just out of sight toward the right as you're looking down.

The contract lounge has lavatories and toilets on a hallway to the left of the reception desk and almost behind the reception desk. If you take a shart left after checking in at the desk, you go toward the actual lounge area, with a smaller FC area just ahead on the right side (with bar that doesn't seem to be used). The business class area starts toward the right.

I vaguely remember neutral colors like beige and grey/black/brown. The furniture was overstuffed, square, and nondescript.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 4:21 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by mattp1987
I added your post to the top of wiki. We'll see if it helps cut down on the repeated reports of success accessing ST lounges.
I doubt that it will do much, but it is worth trying. Perhaps many people here have an intuitive grasp of which lounges are contract lounges and which are not, and which airports have both types. But people like me have not found intercranial space for such arcana. My head still explodes a bit when booking coach travel on a new partner, keeping straight the different relationships between fare type and MQM eligibility. (At least the MQD policy is simple if extreme).

DL made things unnecessarily confusing by listing airports that had contract lounges no longer available to elite coach passengers, but not indicating in the same list whether partner lounges were still available for such passengers. For example, instead of just saying "no more contract lounge access in DXB" why not also say "but you can still get into the AF lounge no problem." Even more informative would have been names of the two types. E.g. in MXP there are multiple contract lounges and I've been turned away from all of them since the policy change (not knowing they were contract lounges) but I was surprised to read here that there's a non-contract lounge operated by Alitalia that I did have access to without knowing it.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 7:11 am
Formerly known as HuwRLewis

Programs: DL-DM (Charter); DL-MM; Hilton: Diamond

Last year I was flying out of BKK in DL BE, and was turned away from the AF lounge despite cabin class and my being a DL DM...
Old Nov 27, 2014, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by CrazyCelt
Last year I was flying out of BKK in DL BE, and was turned away from the AF lounge despite cabin class and my being a DL DM...
When you say last year you mean 2013?

DL was using the contract lounge; when ever there is a DL contracted lounge or SC , AF is very firm in not letting DL pax into the AF lounge.

This is a very delicate relationship: DL and AF never liked each other. NW and KL were in bed together. Then due to external factors DL ended up with NW and AF adopted KL. Sounds like a French soap opera!
Old Nov 27, 2014, 7:35 am

When you say last year you mean 2013?

DL was using the contract lounge; when ever there is a DL contracted lounge or SC , AF is very firm in not letting DL pax into the AF lounge.

This is a very delicate relationship: DL and AF never liked each other. NW and KL were in bed together. Then due to external factors DL ended up with NW and AF adopted KL. Sounds like a French soap opera!
LOL I think you summed it up beautifully! Yes, it was last year. A couple of years ago I was at Dulles waiting for a DL domestic flight. DL doesn't have a lounge, so I toddled into the AF lounge and asked to use it. I think the agent took my request as an insult to her parentage!
Old Nov 27, 2014, 7:42 am

Anyone know the latest DL lounge situation at Changi?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.