Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deplane First Class First?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2013, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Deplane First Class First?

Been on a few flights recently where the FA held up coach passengers to allow for first class to deplane . This was on a 757 where they use the door behind first.
Just curious if this was a new policy for Delta, or just the FA ....it was pretty nice as I was in FC, but wondering how I would feel as a coach passenger.
Old May 31, 2013, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
I've seen this happen many times on international and domestic DL flights.

Old May 31, 2013, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Hit & miss.
Old May 31, 2013, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
I dunno that there has been any official DL policy on this, but I think it is a carryover from many PMNW crews. I def appreciate it when I am in F, and don't really mind it when I am in Y. Most of the FAs that I have seen wisely allow Y pax to start deplaning after most of F has gotten off rather than holding them for the one or two F pax that inevitably straggle behind.
Old May 31, 2013, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Flame war time

This was a classic move played by FA'S from that former , not to be named, red-tailed airline. God rest its soul
Old May 31, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
While I don't doubt that, pmdl crews did it as well.
Old May 31, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
I've been in F many times when they do it, and I'm not a big fan. It doesn't speed up the deplaning of F that much, maybe you get off 30 seconds or a minute earlier, and it slows down the deplaning of the rest of the plane by a minute or two. Also I feel like an a-hole as I walk out while the rest of the plane is being held back.
Old May 31, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
I've seen them do it, and even announce it, on an A332.

Considering some of the customs lines, I don't blame them. Every little bit helps and those F pax (well, the ones that aren't non-rev) paid a hel-la lot more than me.
Old May 31, 2013, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I agree with it, while it may seem cruel to make those who have been cramped in coach wait an extra minute or two while those who spent the flight in far more comfortable seats get to stretch their legs sooner. On an international flight, it makes a much bigger difference than it does on a domestic flight.
Old May 31, 2013, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by rwoman
I've seen this happen many times on international and domestic DL flights.

Yes me too - but as indufan says it tends to be hit and miss and not consistent.
Old May 31, 2013, 3:48 pm

I think this is a great thing to do, and when I'm in Y it never bothers me, as the concept is fair and understandable. On most flights I have seen it, the FAs only hold back Y for a bit to let the F/J passengers who are ready to leave go. I would not expect/want the FAs to hold back Y for F/J passengers who are slow to leave.
Old May 31, 2013, 4:44 pm

When I flew on BA First some years ago - it was my first time ever in F, so I was really excited and also experienced that the FA let an F passenger (me ) go first. I think it's a nice thing for FA to do, not because it's cool or a benefit that must be extended to First class, but I appreciated it that time. It was a light F cabin that time and I think it was just this other guy and me (being a petite gal) on that flight.

It took me a while to get all my stuff ready, but the door has not opened yet, so I figure I got some time. As usual, people had begun to line up and crowd around the entrance waiting to exit.

I'm the polite sort so it was not going to kill me to wait a little bit, but bam, when the door opened, a couple of the passengers rushed out (like it's their right since they're in front of the door). Once that exodus started, it was hard for me to exit (literally one person walking closely behind another). I waited for a few passengers but none seemed courteous enough to let me cut into the lane (even though I'm at the front of the plane). I thought about cutting in too but because of the confined spaces, I thought that would just be as rude. They seemed to be in a hurry, but still, I don't have a huge luggage or mobility issues. Just thought it was really rude of the other pax.

At one point for a few seconds, I seriously thought that I may have to wait for the whole plane to get off before I can deplane. The sharp FA must have caught my dilemma as I was stuck where I was, and finally went up and unassumingly and (physically) blocked the exit flow while gesturing in a welcoming manner to let me step off first.

I wasn't in too huge of a worry since my connecting flight was a couple of hours away, but I was pretty aghast that no one was polite enough to let me cut into the traffic flow. I think I would have in the reverse situation - a couple of extra seconds isn't going to kill. It's kind of like if someone tries to exit before their row's turn. There's nothing wrong with doing it, but it's just a courtesy to let people exit row by row (front to back).

I appreciated the FA's gesture, not because I think it's a necessary benefit, but it actually allowed me to deplane (and wanting to deplane first when I'm near the front of the plane - and ready to deplane - did not seemed unreasonable to me!)

Last edited by BOShappyflyer; May 31, 2013 at 4:50 pm
Old May 31, 2013, 5:45 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Delta lists as one of the FC/BE benefits First on, First off.
Old May 31, 2013, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
I don't fly DL at all really, but I do believe it's a no-brainier to allow F & J passengers to exit first. They paid a lot more in $ or miles, so they should have the privilege of exiting the aircraft first. On AA/UA it's hit or miss....mostly miss. When I lived in South America and flew LA a lot, they always let the premium cabins exit first....as it should be.
Old May 31, 2013, 6:26 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
On the 75E, it's very normal for FC/BE to deplane first out of 2L while the FAs ask Y pax to wait.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.