FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Impact of FAA furloughs on DL operations (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1460463-impact-faa-furloughs-dl-operations.html)

rylan Apr 22, 2013 7:59 pm

Whatever the delays are now, its going to be blamed on FAA staffing shortages except for obvious MX problems.

StayingHomeIsBetter Apr 22, 2013 8:17 pm

First, I give DL credit for pushing back on this madness.

Go to the DL web site and the travel advisory there:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...furloughs.html

At the end of the advisory is a link to an on-line utility for submitting letters to the White House and your congressional delegation.

I have lodged my feelings. Have you?

The irony is that one of the markets that DL is most aggressively pursuing (i.e., NYC) is likely to be the hardest hit by this administration hissy fit.

tonypct Apr 22, 2013 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter (Post 20636109)
First, I give DL credit for pushing back on this madness.

Go to the DL web site and the travel advisory there:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...furloughs.html

At the end of the advisory is a link to an on-line utility for submitting letters to the White House and your congressional delegation.

I have lodged my feelings. Have you?

The irony is that one of the markets that DL is most aggressively pursuing (i.e., NYC) is likely to be the hardest hit by this administration hissy fit.

Thanks for the link. I just voiced my complaint.

SYRRDU Apr 22, 2013 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter (Post 20636109)
"...this administration hissy fit."

That pretty much sums it up

StayingHomeIsBetter Apr 22, 2013 8:41 pm

An optimistic perspective on this

While LAX seems to be getting hit pretty hard in the evenings, these first two days across the country have not been too bad (I know, it's too early to project a trend).

It occurs to me that we need to be counting on the controllers to be consummate professionals (they had better be... after all we put our lives in their hands each time we fly).

Don't you imagine that the vast majority of them are doing their damnedest to keep the system on an even keel?

If it were me, I'd be trying my best to spite the management who appear to be trying to create a catastrophe. I suspect many controllers are highly motivated to prevent that from happening.

For now, I am going to put my faith on the ATC front line, just like I put my faith in the DL front line.

rylan Apr 22, 2013 8:45 pm

Oh I'm sure the controllers are professionals... its the management and up that is making these decision that I have no faith in.

StayingHomeIsBetter Apr 22, 2013 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 20636231)
Oh I'm sure the controllers are professionals... its the management and up that is making these decision that I have no faith in.

Agreed. Hence, my comparison between ATC front line and DL front line. The DL front line do so well in compensating for the management of the company. Hopefully the ATC front line will do the same.

chrisj85 Apr 22, 2013 9:01 pm

I think we will see the truly ugly effects on busy summer days with maximum numbers of flights and with significant weather problems. Today there was snow in DEN and MSP but almost no thunderstorm activity outside of South Florida (FLL/MIA). A day with widespread thunderstorms affecting the central/eastern US hubs/routes combined with "staffing" ATC delays would be the most likely to yield a total system meltdown as predicted by some of the ATC/airline union folks.

Also I think it is way too early to assume anything in regards to some of the hubs that haven't been hit with ATC delays yet. It could be that the scheduling cycles at those facilities have happened to allow for less furlough impact so far. As a frequent ATL connector, my dread is that the 5th runway will have to close due to furloughs on some days. That's when we would see the 3+ hour delays mentioned in the FAA estimates.

Dawgfan6291 Apr 22, 2013 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by Kierstenrc (Post 20635335)
I'm flying in two weeks (Newport News to Atlanta, Atlanta to Salt Lake, and Salt Lake to Bozeman). I'm mainly concerned about my connection in Atlanta since it is such a big airport. Hopefully there won't be delays though...

The blessing we have(we being Atlanta) is the airport(as crazy as it sounds) can handle a lot more with less.

At one point Delta has 1,200 flights a day, Airtran has about 250 with ATL having 4 runways. Now Delta is right at 1,000 flights and WN/FL is at about 150-170 on 5 runways.
So while i expect some delays, I wouldn't think ATL will be to bad. (and oh soooooo much better than the NYC and LAX hubs)

Dawgfan6291 Apr 22, 2013 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 20636033)
Whatever the delays are now, its going to be blamed on FAA staffing shortages except for obvious MX problems.

congrats on being the third or fourth person in this thread to clearly show that they have no idea what they are talking about.

This is simply a lie. Any MX delay is still going to be blamed on MX. jeesh. :rolleyes:

rylan Apr 23, 2013 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291 (Post 20636697)
congrats on being the third or fourth person in this thread to clearly show that they have no idea what they are talking about.

This is simply a lie. Any MX delay is still going to be blamed on MX. jeesh. :rolleyes:

Um, I said that in my post that everything would get blamed on ATC staffing except when it is an MX problem.

TurtleSVS Apr 23, 2013 8:58 am

FAA.gov already claiming wind for EWR and LGA. I really don't know why they don't just call it what it is. The only thing I can think is that perhaps the wind conditions, though not severe, necessitate extra controllers which are no longer available.

KEWR 231441Z 01013KT 3SM -RA BR FEW009 BKN013 OVC020 06/04 A3035 RMK AO2 SFC VIS 6 RAB1355 CIG 011V015 P0000

KLGA 231448Z 05013KT 2 1/2SM -RA FEW009 BKN013 OVC018 06/03 A3035 RMK AO2 SFC VIS 3 DZB34E44RAB44 SLP278 P0000 60000 T00560028 56012

KLGA 231351Z 04013KT 10SM OVC017 06/01 A3036 RMK AO2 SLP282 T00610011

tfly212 Apr 23, 2013 9:41 am

I'm on flight 1529 JFK-LAS now...security was empty and we took off pretty much on time. The desk agent at the lounge said they had a few delays yesterday but nothing to significant. Hopefully it's much ado about nothing.

jrl767 Apr 23, 2013 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Kierstenrc (Post 20635335)
I'm flying in two weeks (Newport News to Atlanta, Atlanta to Salt Lake, and Salt Lake to Bozeman). I'm mainly concerned about my connection in Atlanta since it is such a big airport. Hopefully there won't be delays though...

iirc you posted a couple weeks ago about a 2+30 connection in ATL (ar 930 am, lv 12 noon); yes there might be ATC delays, but unless the weather seriously complicates matters that day I doubt you will have any problems ... unless the ATL-SLC jet is making its first flight of the day, it has to come in from somewhere so it will also be in the arrivals queue

gb88 Apr 23, 2013 10:02 am

Sequestration delays!!!!!!

I have a number of flights that I booked months in advance that require connections (Delta to Delta). With the sequestrations in place, and many of my flights connecting in the various Delta hubs, including Atlanta, I am wondering if I will miss my connecting flights due to these delays (some only allow 56 minutes in between flights). Is there anything I should do now - or do I wait to see how long the furloughs of staff will continue. My next flight actually isn't until early July, so perhaps this will be settled by then - or not!!!!!