FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Impact of FAA furloughs on DL operations (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1460463-impact-faa-furloughs-dl-operations.html)

Letitride3c Apr 22, 2013 9:11 am

Flew DL non-stop LAX-JFK late Saturday night this past weekend, things were slow but security at the checkpoint seemed understaffed, but lines moved along okay & we allowed extra time, just in case. Ground crew announced at the gate that they will board 10 minutes early as it was a full flight and will try to leave 10 minutes early. TSA had 1 agent at the jetway doing ID check (none that we saw by the time Zone 2 was announced) but F/J seemed to be backed up to the right/Priority Lane.

We pushed back 7 or 8 minutes early and were #2 for takeoff, so it was quick and with a seemingly fast flying time, wheels up to touching the runway of 4:37 - and no holding once we're cleared to land, we taxi quickly into T3 at JFK almost 35 minutes early. Walking thru the terminal at the pre-dawn hours, saw plenty of sleepy TSA walking around, some in pairs, so it didn't look to us that at the from the onset (Sunday morning) - staffing on the ground was an issue, FAA controller - can't tell at all. Weather wasn't a factor at all for our flight and pilot was cheerful, made no reference at all about any sequester or delays resulting/expecting from it.

SATXFlyer Apr 22, 2013 9:25 am

Two flights today SAT>SLC and SLC>SEA. security at SAT was fairly normal for a Monday; maybe a little heavy. I saw all of the regular TSA employees. The flight left early. The pilot did come out and talk to a couple of us and mentioned we would be a little late because of stronger than expected headwinds. He also said we had been loaded with extra fuel in case of ATC delays in SLC. I'm on the second flight now and we are expecting an early arrival after an on time departure.

Basically a non-event for me so far. I am glad I don't fly in/out of airports with heavier traffic. Safe travels everyone.

troyintn Apr 22, 2013 9:40 am

Originally Posted by mtkeller (Post 20632140)
+2 (or whatever it will be by the time I finish this)

I don't come to FT for politics. Therefore, I stay out of OMNI/PR. I do not need to see posters editorializing here about their views on the budget situation. I trust the mods will deal with RBPs as they come in, but I think urging everyone to please restrict their political discussions to OMNI so that we don't have too many posts for the mods to deal with is worthwhile.

I agree

squatch Apr 22, 2013 9:48 am

DL 2285 LGA-MCO

we departed 50 min late today, with GAs and pilots blaming ATC problems due to furloughs for the delay

Down3Green Apr 22, 2013 10:09 am

For those posters discussing their recent experiences with Security/Screening, this weekend's changes had nothing to with that. The TSA decided to handle their sequestration cuts by enacting a hiring freeze. That actually went into effect last month. According to TSA's management, the hiring freeze will begin to be felt as the busy summer gets going if they don't replace Screeners who leave the agency. However, there was no drastic changes for the TSA over the weekend and Security screening should have been normal.

The FAA decided to handle their cuts in a different manner by givng every single member a 'day off without pay' every 10 days. That's what went into effect on Sunday and as another poster mentioned, yesterday the Staffing related Ground Delay Programs and Stops were felt mainly in NYC and LAX with some minor unpublished holding/vectors/runway issues at other airports. Today both LGA and JFK started the day with Ground Delay Programs though Wind and Runway mx appear to be contributing factors.

DMPM Apr 22, 2013 10:32 am

Everything going thru JAX center is delay due to ATC Staffing...Here is website I like to use before flying...

http://www.fly.faa.gov/ois/

kitkat77 Apr 22, 2013 10:32 am

Flew RDU-ATL-LIM yesterday. Both planes were on time and everything seemed normal enough in both airports, although RDU is pretty much always easy unless there's serious weather issues.

rwoman Apr 22, 2013 10:33 am

Hi all,

I have a friend flying AUS-JFK (AA) at the moment. She said the pilot states JFK was ok at the moment, but LGA delays were ~1 hour right now.

My sister is on DL JFK-SAN and I'm on AA back to LHR tonight. Right now, things look okay, but still 5 hours for things not to be okay.

daveo4ua Apr 22, 2013 10:44 am

So basically every delay this week is not going to be Delta's fault regardless of the situation. They will blame everything on ATC and not give passengers any kind of compensation for delayed or canceled flights. Sounds like just another way to save a few bucks. Happy Travels.

PowerFlyer Apr 22, 2013 11:05 am

Originally Posted by rwoman (Post 20633029)
Hi all,

I have a friend flying AUS-JFK (AA) at the moment. She said the pilot states JFK was ok at the moment, but LGA delays were ~1 hour right now.

My sister is on DL JFK-SAN and I'm on AA back to LHR tonight. Right now, things look okay, but still 5 hours for things not to be okay.

LGA is having wind related delays today, no ATC delays (at least as of right now).

TTT Apr 22, 2013 11:28 am

Originally Posted by daveo4ua (Post 20633107)
So basically every delay this week is not going to be Delta's fault regardless of the situation. They will blame everything on ATC and not give passengers any kind of compensation for delayed or canceled flights. Sounds like just another way to save a few bucks. Happy Travels.

I had a mx delay yesterday. No attempt to blame it on ATC. Hotel vouchers even offers over the gate paging system for those who wanted them.

squatch Apr 22, 2013 11:45 am

Originally Posted by PowerFlyer (Post 20633233)
LGA is having wind related delays today, no ATC delays (at least as of right now).

there are advertised "wind delays", but having spent a few hours there this morning, no one is referring to wind when explaining the actual delays

someone is not telling the truth

DMPM Apr 22, 2013 11:47 am

Originally Posted by daveo4ua (Post 20633107)

Delta doesn't benefit in being dishonest to customers. Does it happen, yes! Majority of employees I speak with are truthful about the delay's.

DMPM Apr 22, 2013 11:48 am

Originally Posted by squatch (Post 20633498)
there are advertised "wind delays", but having spent a few hours there this morning, no one is referring to wind when explaining the actual delays

someone is not telling the truth

NATIONAL AIRSPACE SYSTEM STATUS
(Note: This page will refresh every 5 minutes. Last updated Mon, 22 Apr 2013 17:48:11 UTC. Provided by the FAA's Air Traffic Control System Command Center.)
NATIONAL PROGRAMS

CONTROL ELEMENT START END SCOPE REASON AVG AAR PR ADVZY DA
JFK 1630 0259 ALL+CZY_AP RWY-TAXI / MAINTENANCE 101 34 34 041 DA
LGA 1233 0359 ALL+CZY_AP WEATHER / WIND 103 32 32 032 DA
FCAJX7 1115 2159 See Control Element... OTHER / STAFFING 53 -- 105 039 DA

squatch Apr 22, 2013 11:55 am

Originally Posted by DMPM (Post 20633522)
NATIONAL AIRSPACE SYSTEM STATUS
(Note: This page will refresh every 5 minutes. Last updated Mon, 22 Apr 2013 17:48:11 UTC. Provided by the FAA's Air Traffic Control System Command Center.)
NATIONAL PROGRAMS

CONTROL ELEMENT START END SCOPE REASON AVG AAR PR ADVZY DA
JFK 1630 0259 ALL+CZY_AP RWY-TAXI / MAINTENANCE 101 34 34 041 DA
LGA 1233 0359 ALL+CZY_AP WEATHER / WIND 103 32 32 032 DA
FCAJX7 1115 2159 See Control Element... OTHER / STAFFING 53 -- 105 039 DA

YES, but you are not listening to me

pilots and gate agents are informing passengers that the delays at LGA are related to ATC staffing problems. there were FOUR separate announcements blaming ATC staffing before my flight this morning

this is what i am trying to tell you