FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Impact of FAA furloughs on DL operations (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1460463-impact-faa-furloughs-dl-operations.html)

chrisj85 Apr 22, 2013 4:44 pm

Looks like evening flights to LAX are to be avoided. Two evenings in a row that there have been massive delays with a traffic management program due to "Staffing".

AA_EXP09 Apr 22, 2013 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by DMPM (Post 20633923)
I agree with you Down3Green about the "stated" reason for delay in LGA. The airlines are at the mercy of ATC who are going make a point and impact as many customers as possible. Honestly, will we ever know if ATC is telling the truth on these delays..

If we are know what they are saying without channel 9.

TurtleSVS Apr 22, 2013 5:03 pm

New York is really bad now too. The weather has been clear all day and the wind has been very light at surface at least so unless there is severe gusting at altitudes, I don't see how those delays could be explained by wind for LGA and EWR. JFK is citing runway maintenance, whatever that's supposed to mean. I've certainly seen many worse days than today wind wise and the delays weren't as persistent or severe.

KLGA 222251Z 10012KT 10SM FEW060 SCT250 12/M04 A3051 RMK AO2 SLP332 T01171039 $

DMPM Apr 22, 2013 5:12 pm

I have seen two different TV stations cover the ATC issues today. One local and ABC News. I am sure it is the same around the country.

Kierstenrc Apr 22, 2013 5:21 pm

I'm flying in two weeks (Newport News to Atlanta, Atlanta to Salt Lake, and Salt Lake to Bozeman). I'm mainly concerned about my connection in Atlanta since it is such a big airport. Hopefully there won't be delays though...

akonradi Apr 22, 2013 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Dovster (Post 20630645)
I will be flying in and out of JFK on my way to/from LAS in two weeks.

The way I see it, this merely gives me the opportunity to get in some gambling before I arrive in Sin City.

Whenever you transit at JFK, you're taking a gamble. You don't need the sequester for that. :rolleyes:

You should know this by now, as a veteran of the JFK/TLV route.

Harlem Apr 22, 2013 5:31 pm

This is the perfect opportunity to fire all of them.

I get on the subway without any checks, I get on the bus without any checks, I get on the train without any checks, I drive across bridges without any checks, and I drive through tunnels without any checks. There is NO REASON for me to go through checks to get on an airplane.

Edit -please ignore my idiotic post - I stand corrected below:):)

TTT Apr 22, 2013 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Harlem (Post 20635383)

I get on the subway without any checks, I get on the bus without any checks, I get on the train without any checks, I drive across bridges without any checks, and I drive through tunnels without any checks. There is NO REASON for me to go through checks to get on an airplane.

Huh? What does this have to do with the FAA furloughing air traffic controllers? Take it to TS/S if you want to discuss the TSA and their policies.

some dude Apr 22, 2013 6:12 pm

This thread is discussing FAA (ATC), not DHS (TSA).

mtkeller Apr 22, 2013 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by chrisj85 (Post 20635176)
Looks like evening flights to LAX are to be avoided. Two evenings in a row that there have been massive delays with a traffic management program due to "Staffing".

They'd better get this resolved. I'm flying to NZ via LAX in three weeks, so it's obviously flights late in the day.

koreanair720 Apr 22, 2013 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by DMPM (Post 20635299)
I have seen two different TV stations cover the ATC issues today. One local and ABC News. I am sure it is the same around the country.

good. this needs media attention -- the only way it will get resolved.

rsoxtim Apr 22, 2013 7:07 pm

I'm flying IAD-ATL-HNL next week so I'll be following this thread and monitoring my flights each day. Today's flights were fine.

koreanair720 Apr 22, 2013 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by rsoxtim (Post 20635799)
I'm flying IAD-ATL-HNL next week so I'll be following this thread and monitoring my flights each day. Today's flights were fine.

looks like the flights out of the DC airports have been fine so far ...i live in the district...it's good to be, er, near the kings!

koreanair720 Apr 22, 2013 7:23 pm

a truly novel argument. "my subway doesn't need air traffic control, so why does my airplane?!""

StayingHomeIsBetter Apr 22, 2013 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by DMPM (Post 20635299)

Fox news: http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/shepar...ylist_id=86928