Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Severe Peanut Allergy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2014, 5:58 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
As usual, it is not the people with true peanut allergies who annoy us all. It is the overwhelming majority who think maybe they might have an allergy, and get their attention fix by using this to control others, and thereby ruin it for the people with the real problem.
Obviously, some people luv attention more than others, but, why in the world would somebody on a plane want to claim they have a peanut allergy, if they don't have one - - JUST for the purpose of getting attention?
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by davetravels
Obviously, some people luv attention more than others, but, why in the world would somebody on a plane want to claim they have a peanut allergy, if they don't have one - - JUST for the purpose of getting attention?

Similar reasons why people will fly to IST over a weekend chasing airline status, just a different kind of attention.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Similar reasons why people will fly to IST over a weekend chasing airline status, just a different kind of attention.
Except that airline status is worth actual money to me. Not enough to pay for a flight to IST, but some.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 10:47 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
There's a ton I could reply about this remark - WAY too much to type, so, I'll just settle for:

Oyy!!!
Old Apr 6, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Once more time

Had read this thread yesterday and guess what - last night on MCO-LAX announcement is made that no peanuts will be served on the plane (of course, it's not made until the door is closed). FA later mentioned to someone that person was in last row.

My preference is peanuts, but I can live with that. It was worse that wife and I were 1 and 2 for the last seat which would have been nice for the 5hr flight. At least we had nice guy in the aisle seat with us.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Fly paid F and J. AA EXP. DL PM.
Can someone provide more info?

- Don't people with severe peanut allergies carry some sort of medicine?
- What is the risk of exposure and how does it occur? Peanut dust? How likely is that to occur?
- Is it really necessary for the whole aircraft vs just a couple of rows around the passenger?
- Are there recorded incidents where medical emergencies have occurred due to an airline serving peanuts?
- When these folks go to a baseball game do they ask the whole stadium to not serve/eat peanuts? Or is recirculated air on the aircraft in question?
Old Apr 6, 2014, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by FitTraveler

Hopefully.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:22 pm

- What is the risk of exposure and how does it occur? Peanut dust? How likely is that to occur?
- Is it really necessary for the whole aircraft vs just a couple of rows around the passenger?
- Are there recorded incidents where medical emergencies have occurred due to an airline serving peanuts?
- When these folks go to a baseball game do they ask the whole stadium to not serve/eat peanuts? Or is recirculated air on the aircraft in question?
These allergies are crazy. The smallest spec can do serious damage. A few notes:

People with these allergies never go anywhere without an Epipen and appropriate medecine, but still sometimes they need to go to the ER. They don't have a ton of time when something bad happens.

Yes, the best approach is no peanuts on the plane. There are schools that are peanut free because sometimes one classroom isn't enough.

These people do not go to sporting events, they simply can't - it's like entering an active war zone for them.

I don't have these allergies and thank god my kids don't either. I do prefer the peanuts to pretzels and I usually carry a payday (candy withe peanuts) as a snack for onboard so I'm not someone who benefits from these bans but I honor them.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:08 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Saw a report about a child with Pelizaeus-Merzbacher disease - hypersensitivity to ultra-violet light. Mother was trying to get Xenon headlights banned because daughter could only play outside at night and Xenon produces more UV than incandescent.

Sad but fatal by early teens. The body reacts to UV like normal people do to X-rays. But expecting the entire world to adjust to the lowest common denominator doesn't seem fair either. If we blacked out the sun the daughter could live a normal life.

I don't know why people with peanut allergies don't wear a face mask. People with compromised immune systems wear a face mask to reduce the change contacting pathogens - they don't expect everyone around them to wear CD. level 4 suits. I went through that with the first Ms. Puddinhead.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I did that last year to reach DM. It wasn't for attention, it was for the upgrades that I normally get when traveling for business (and a lot of them are at the gate because I purchase within 5 days frequently). I mostly buy expensive flights close in but I take 1-3 cheap vacation runs overseas every year to get the MQMs I need to reach DM. My business travel gives me the MQD that I need but not the MQMs.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by puddinhead
Saw a report about a child with Pelizaeus-Merzbacher disease - hypersensitivity to ultra-violet light. Mother was trying to get Xenon headlights banned because daughter could only play outside at night and Xenon produces more UV than incandescent.

Sad but fatal by early teens. The body reacts to UV like normal people do to X-rays. But expecting the entire world to adjust to the lowest common denominator doesn't seem fair either. If we blacked out the sun the daughter could live a normal life.
Not to mention the planet would freeze and we'd all die.

Originally Posted by puddinhead
I don't know why people with peanut allergies don't wear a face mask. People with compromised immune systems wear a face mask to reduce the change contacting pathogens - they don't expect everyone around them to wear CD. level 4 suits. I went through that with the first Ms. Puddinhead.
+1
Old Apr 14, 2014, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...

Those with severe peanut allergies usually do carry an Epi-Pen. However, it is simply 1 dose of epinephrine, which doesn't always help, and if it does help, can have a short time span. As such, if someone has an allergic reaction in the air, they may not have the time to reach medical facilities.

Risk of exposure depends on severity of the allergy. Peanut dust/peanuts/peanut oil can all cause allergic reactions, depending on severity.

I think the issue is in part recirculated air, so I don't think that sporting events are as much of an issue.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by kipper
Those with severe peanut allergies usually do carry an Epi-Pen. However, it is simply 1 dose of epinephrine, which doesn't always help, and if it does help, can have a short time span. As such, if someone has an allergic reaction in the air, they may not have the time to reach medical facilities.

Risk of exposure depends on severity of the allergy. Peanut dust/peanuts/peanut oil can all cause allergic reactions, depending on severity.

I think the issue is in part recirculated air, so I don't think that sporting events are as much of an issue.
I have often wondered, what about the peanut detritus that must linger from prior flights?

After all, you don't see the cleaning crews going onto the planes between flights and decontaminating them with HEPA-filtered vacuum cleaners.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by kipper
Those with severe peanut allergies usually do carry an Epi-Pen....
Yes and this is actually a good way of distinguishing people with genuine severe allergies versus those who don't....

I always wonder why airlines don't have a policy that anyone requesting a peanut free flight must also show the gate agent or pilot that they are carrying an Epi-Pen before being allowed to fly.

There are no guarantees that a flight will actually be peanut free and if someone does have a severe allergic reaction it will still take significant time to land and get them medical attention even if the pilot declares a medical emergency and diverts immediately.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 2:02 am

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
I have mixed emotions: I symphatize for those people truly suffering from a peanut allergy, but dislike those who THINK they have a peanut allergy. Although I love peanuts, I can wait a few hours to get a peanut fix if there is someone hypersensitive on board. A little OT, but I recently purchased a bag of milk chocolate covered peanuts with a LARGE WARNING: "CAUTION, contains milk products and peanuts". DUH! Would a sensitive person ever buy a bag of milk chocolate peanuts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.