FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Severe Peanut Allergy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1446648-severe-peanut-allergy.html)

rwoman Mar 10, 2013 3:51 pm

Severe Peanut Allergy

Hello from my MD88 taking me to JFK for my onward flight to LHR!

A first today...

I've read about peanut allergies (existing general discussion: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...t-allergy.html) and know people who have to be very careful.

After reaching 10k+ feet, the FAs made the normal service announcements. However, they added no peanuts, peanut M&Ms, or trail mix would be served due to a passenger with a severe allergy on board.

Not a big deal, just the first time I've experienced this. I'm sure some could rant they did not get their free protein fix that pretzels or Biscoff cannot satisfy.

:)

timmy83 Mar 10, 2013 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by rwoman (Post 20396092)
Hello from my MD88 taking me to JFK for my onward flight to LHR!

A first today...

I've read about peanut allergies (existing general discussion: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...t-allergy.html) and know people who have to be very careful.

After reaching 10k+ feet, the FAs made the normal service announcements. However, they added no peanuts, peanut M&Ms, or trail mix would be served due to a passenger with a severe allergy on board.

Not a big deal, just the first time I've experienced this. I'm sure some could rant they did not get their free protein fix that pretzels or Biscoff cannot satisfy.

:)

Well, luckily it was peanuts and not Biscoff. I think this demonstrates good customer care - letting pax know that these options would not be available. And don't forget that if they need protein, there are ham sandwiches all over the plane.

ILovetheReds Mar 10, 2013 4:01 pm

Be glad it wasn't an alcohol allergy. A week or so ago, someone reported on the southwest board that a person had an alcohol allergy and WN didn't serve any alcohol on that flight:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...no-liquor.html

I would be FURIOUS if Delta didn't serve alcohol on a flight if I was in first class, especially if I was paying to be in F or J on a long haul domestic or international flight!!!

I would also be furious if they didn't serve the warm nuts on an international if I was in paid J. My wife is a diabetic and sometimes will bring cheese crackers with peanut butter snack packs for a snack if the flight is delayed and she wont' be eating until later than anticipated. I would hope Delta would provide her with another long acting carb/protien snack if she told she couldn't open them due to a person with a peanut allergy on board.

DLATL777 Mar 10, 2013 4:09 pm

Heard the announcement at least half a dozen times...not that unusual.

eturowski Mar 10, 2013 4:48 pm

Seems like there has been a peanut allergy on every flight I have ever taken to MCO.

mendel k Mar 10, 2013 4:53 pm

2nd time I've heard that was last week jfk-ams

ijgordon Mar 10, 2013 5:24 pm

They can't prevent someone from eating their own peanut products that they brought on board, can they?

Singleflyer Mar 10, 2013 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 20396498)
They can't prevent someone from eating their own peanut products that they brought on board, can they?

No

deltalirious Mar 10, 2013 6:55 pm

Medical Literature

The literature seems to suggest that the frequency of individuals claiming to be susceptable to areosolized peanuts is far greater than the estimates of the prevalence of this type of extremely rare reaction to non ingested allergens.

"According to the 2000 appropriations act, no federal money can be used to ban peanuts or require a peanut-free buffer zone in any air carrier until at least 90 days after Congress and the DOT receive a peer-reviewed scientific study demonstrating that people with peanut allergies can have a severe reaction if they are exposed to small quantities of the allergen while on a plane."

http://www.foodallergy.org/page.aspx?pid=1030

NotHamSarnie Mar 10, 2013 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by ILovetheReds (Post 20396133)

I would also be furious if they didn't serve the warm nuts on an international if I was in paid J. My wife is a diabetic and sometimes will bring cheese crackers with peanut butter snack packs for a snack if the flight is delayed and she wont' be eating until later than anticipated. I would hope Delta would provide her with another long acting carb/protien snack if she told she couldn't open them due to a person with a peanut allergy on board.

I've been on a TATL BE flight where the nuts were not served owing to a serious allergy on-board. Nobody got too sweaty about it.

Oakshadow Mar 10, 2013 10:00 pm

I have a nut allergy (which doesn't include peanuts; those are legumes). Many things are made with nuts. My constant question when presented with an unknown dish is, "Does this have nuts in it?" If I eat something on a flight with nuts in it, it's my fault for not checking, not the airline's fault for serving.

On a side note, HA is the worst culprit of nut-heavy dishes. In F, almost all of their meals are with macadamia nuts or coconuts. I have to fill up on bread.

ILovetheReds Mar 10, 2013 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 20396498)

I was on a Southwest flight onetime when they announced a peanut allergy and asked passenger who had any products containing peanuts not to open them. I don't know if they could have done anything to a passenger that would have opened a product containing peanuts or not.

My wife was on a flight one time where they announced a peanut allergy and they just requested people several rows ahead or behind that passenger not to eat any products containing peanuts.

I am not sure how they handle peanut allergies in the skyclub.

Indelaware Mar 10, 2013 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by deltalirious (Post 20396893)
"According to the 2000 appropriations act, no federal money can be used to ban peanuts or require a peanut-free buffer zone in any air carrier until at least 90 days after Congress and the DOT receive a peer-reviewed scientific study demonstrating that people with peanut allergies can have a severe reaction if they are exposed to small quantities of the allergen while on a plane."

One of the most shameful, IMHO, incidents of far right anti-regulation politics preventing a reasonable regulation which would have had positive effects at minimal cost to both government and airlines.

davetravels Mar 10, 2013 10:32 pm

I was once flying on a DL CR2, and the FA made the usual announcements, then - - AND IF ANYONE has a peanut allergy, be sure to ring your call bell to notify me, and I won't serve any peanuts and request that no passengers eat any peanut products!!! Plus some other comments about how she knows how important this is to some people. . . . A surprising big schpiel about it.

She was one of those busy-body types, that makes a huge deal out of every little thing, and I say that because, toward the end of the flight . . . .

I was resting comfortably in the rear "suite" ;), when she made the VERY FIRST landing announcement. Less than A MINUTE later, she was actually KNOCKING ON THE DOOR telling me to GET OUT because we're landing!!! I was SHOCKED!

:D

I should have dropped a note online, but, I didn't.

MSPeconomist Mar 11, 2013 1:18 am

I've been on a number of flights that haven't served peanuts due to a passenger with an allergy. On one, everyone was requested not to open or consume any peanut products they might have brought on board and on another flight, there was a peanut free zone declared of about a half dozen rows. None of this bothered me as I can certainly survive for several hours without peanuts. However, I don't think it would be unreasonable for someone to ask for a package of peanuts upon deplaning, to be consumed later if they want the protein snack.