Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Severe Peanut Allergy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 2:40 am

Programs: DL DM 2.85MM, Priority Platinum
Originally Posted by relangford
I have mixed emotions: I symphatize for those people truly suffering from a peanut allergy, but dislike those who THINK they have a peanut allergy. Although I love peanuts, I can wait a few hours to get a peanut fix if there is someone hypersensitive on board. A little OT, but I recently purchased a bag of milk chocolate covered peanuts with a LARGE WARNING: "CAUTION, contains milk products and peanuts". DUH! Would a sensitive person ever buy a bag of milk chocolate peanuts?
Actually the name on the bag may say whatever it wants and actually have different contents. Now your example is not typically one of them but lets say it was "Chocolate covered Nuts" , the litigious world we live in means that there would need to be a note on the bag saying if it did or did not have any Milk and or peanuts as some fool would buy it then sue saying they were endangered because of the lack of warning. Also dry cleaning bags and 5 gallon paint buckets are not approved baby toys.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 2:58 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by relangford
I symphatize for those people truly suffering from a peanut allergy, but dislike those who THINK they have a peanut allergy.
Why would someone THINK they have a peanut allergy? I would think that someone would know if they have any level of sensitivity. I imagine there are different levels.

How do you tell the difference between someone who THINKS they have an allergy, and someone who ACTUALLY has one, so you have the opportunity to dislike them?

Old Apr 15, 2014, 5:55 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Burj
I always wonder why airlines don't have a policy that anyone requesting a peanut free flight must also show the gate agent or pilot that they are carrying an Epi-Pen before being allowed to fly..
Because that's beyond the scope of the gate agent and pilot's duties and who wants to delay boarding even more while people fumble around for their pen. I also wouldn't be surprised if that ran afoul of the ADA. "prove you have an Epi-Pen or you can't fly" and all.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by CMK10
Because that's beyond the scope of the gate agent and pilot's duties and who wants to delay boarding even more while people fumble around for their pen. I also wouldn't be surprised if that ran afoul of the ADA. "prove you have an Epi-Pen or you can't fly" and all.
Might be legal. I could understand the crew wanting someone with an allergy to have an epi-pen or other method to treat an allergy in flight if it would happen. I normally have a sandwich bag of chile-lime trader joe mixed nuts in my backpack on every flight. I'll have the courtesy not to open the bag up if a peanut allergy is announced but if the person happens to be sitting beside me, there could be dust on the outside of the bag. If a person has such a severe allergy no peantus can be served at all on board, then they should have the means to treat a reaction.

My wife has been asked to prove she is a diabetic before to TSA. She always has 1 or 2 OJ drink boxes and declares them to TSA and a couple times they have asked if she has her blood meter, before she was on an insulin pump. She just showed them her insulin pen and they were fine with it. An agent told her once that people will try bringing soda, etc through saying they are diabetics when they aren't.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by davetravels
Why would someone THINK they have a peanut allergy? I would think that someone would know if they have any level of sensitivity. I imagine there are different levels.

How do you tell the difference between someone who THINKS they have an allergy, and someone who ACTUALLY has one, so you have the opportunity to dislike them?

there is also a growing population of people who think they are allergic to gluten, and milk, and whatever else. industry LOVES these people. check out a place like whole foods, they sell enormous amounts of products to those who are actually allergic and those who would like to think they are, and they make a mint off of this stuff.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by squatch
there is also a growing population of people who think they are allergic to gluten, and milk, and whatever else. industry LOVES these people. check out a place like whole foods, they sell enormous amounts of products to those who are actually allergic and those who would like to think they are, and they make a mint off of this stuff.
Starbucks has an upcharge of 50 or 75 cents for soy milk now, and I'm surprised lactose intolerant people haven't filed an ADA complaint over that. I can drink milk but prefer the taste of soy, and fortunately the local coffee shop in my building doesn't upcharge for soy yet.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
Starbucks has an upcharge of 50 or 75 cents for soy milk now, and I'm surprised lactose intolerant people haven't filed an ADA complaint over that. I can drink milk but prefer the taste of soy, and fortunately the local coffee shop in my building doesn't upcharge for soy yet.
Starbucks used to waive the fee for soy for Gold card holders, but they don't anymore (although my normal SB will frequently waive the upcharge for me). For me it's not a choice but I'm not going to throw a fit because the world doesn't cater to my specific dietary needs.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by squatch
1+
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
I disagree...Pilots are asked to make judgments all the time as to whether people are "fit to fly" or not...USUALLY it is an issue of inebriation/intoxication.

As far as ADA compliance...the airline is required to make reasonable accommodations for people with a disability, requiring they have appropriate emergency medication doesn't really violate that...

Requiring proof of emergency medication (Epi-pen) doesn't seem that different from requiring pregnant women to producie a doctor's report saying they are o.k. to fly....which some airlines do require:

http://www.babycenter.com/0_airline-...velers_6976.bc
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:21 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rwoman
Hello from my MD88 taking me to JFK for my onward flight to LHR!

A first today...

I've read about peanut allergies (existing general discussion: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...t-allergy.html) and know people who have to be very careful.

After reaching 10k+ feet, the FAs made the normal service announcements. However, they added no peanuts, peanut M&Ms, or trail mix would be served due to a passenger with a severe allergy on board.

Not a big deal, just the first time I've experienced this. I'm sure some could rant they did not get their free protein fix that pretzels or Biscoff cannot satisfy.

Peanut M&M's? Really? They are hermetically sealed. The only way someone could be exposed to the peanut would be to French kiss the person who just ate the M&M. The candy shell and packaging happens way after the peanut processing and chocolate dip in the manufacturing process.

If your peanut allergy suffering kid also thinks (s)he is a Plover bird, then you have bigger issues than a peanut.

I do miss common sense and reason in this new age of unenlightenment and universal cluenessness.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Well, I see that this thread is heading in the same direction as every other thread that mentions peanuts.

Glad I'm not allergic to popcorn.

IBTL
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:13 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold

I think I have an allergy to peanuts. Somehow, every time I eat them I find myself in the emergency room. Must be real!

However, I live with my disability without asking anyone to change their behavior. It's my problem, no one else's. I look after myself and stay safe. I would never ask someone not to eat peanuts.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Glad I'm not allergic to popcorn.
I hope they don't close this thread. I'm enjoying it!

Can I hava refill from yer bowl???

Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by fromYXU
I think I have an allergy to peanuts. Somehow, every time I eat them I find myself in the emergency room. Must be real!
Exactly. So, what's up with these people who supposedly <mentioned above> THINK they have a peanut allergy, but don't. Are they the same types of people who need an emotional support dog?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Exactly. So, what's up with these people who supposedly <mentioned above> THINK they have a peanut allergy, but don't. Are they the same types of people who need an emotional support dog?
It's people like my aunt who get allergy tested and that shows a minor peanut allergy (along with minor allergies to several other things) but in their minds once they hear peanut allergy all they think is "keep away from me!!! I'm going to react just like that kid down the street who has a severe allergy!" and makes sure that everybody knows about her allergy (oh and continue to eat all the things on her allergy list - she gets the sniffles and that's all). While my cousin on the other side of the family who does have a severe peanut allergy just goes about his business protecting himself without making a fuss.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.