Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Severe Peanut Allergy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2013, 5:42 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Indelaware
I suspect that the existing science on passive contact with peanut dust would be sufficent to convince a fair minded person that the chances of adverse reaction are reasonable.
You can have all of the great science in the world, but a noisy neurotic hypochondriac can get a lot of mileage by raising a ruckus.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 7:16 am

I'm allergic to people who are allergic to peanuts, so I have them thrown off my flight.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott. Hilton Diamond, Hertz something...
Originally Posted by Johnny Cache

I like that better -- the person with the problem, who decides to fly with their problem, takes care of their problem.

Anyway, that's what I think.
^
Old Mar 14, 2013, 8:11 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
No. It means that if you are eating an egg. And then you drink out of your cup. And then I drink out of the same cup, I could get sick. It depends on how much egg protein was in your mouth and how much makes it into mine.
Ok. I understand. But I bet it is such a rare occurrence that data is hard to come by

It's a non-issue as mitigation should be easy: simply don't drink someone else's coffee, regardless of what else they are consuming. That would also probably save the pain of a punch in the nose.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by chiefkays
According to my allergist, its partially related to the prevalence of peanuts and other nuts in the US. Having tons of nuts in candies and desserts can cause people to become sensitized over time. My nut allergy didn't start until I was in college, and every time I accidentally ingest one, the reaction is stronger and more dangerous. On the other hand, most nut allergies occur in children and will eventually go away as the body figures out how to desensitize itself.
Peanuts, cashews and almonds are everywhere here in China/HK/Taiwan and yet we do not have that level of nut allergies.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by eturowski
A lot of the research done in our lab involves the hygiene hypothesis - that is, if you are exposed to fewer microbes as a child, you develop immune dysfunction later in life, so you are more likely to develop allergies. Microbe exposure is essential for proper immune system development and immunotolerance, so the "cleaner" we get as a society, the more prevalent allergies become.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygiene_hypothesis

Some peer-reviewed information:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14965304

Pretty interesting stuff (although I may be biased)!
I'm quite familiar with the hygiene hypothesis and I agree that it is partly to blame for various immune dysfunctions. But I don't understand why there is such a difference in the frequency of allergy to nuts (and gluten for that matter) in the US compared to Europe, which is quite clean, and Japan, which is obsessively clean. Japanese are fastidiously clean and yet in the time I've spent there it doesn't seem that allergies are very common.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Johnny Cache
I don't expect a lot of folks to agree but I have a different point of view. I've been on such flights, occasionally, where the FA announces that the cabin crew is not going to serve peanuts and asking passengers who've brought their own, not to open the packages.

I'm glad that so many here have written that doing without peanuts for a few hours wouldn't be a problem, for them. And that's all well and good for the allergic person but those two groups are not the only ones on the aircraft.

Let's say I'm diabetic on a carb-restricted diet (which I am) and that I brought my own snacks (which I do) and that some of these contain peanuts (which they do) and that I'm flying between DTW and LAX (which I also do more than any other route).

So what about me -- not eating for five hours would be a problem. The airline's "other" snacks, pretzels, chips, or the like -- no thanks! I've been pretty fortunate, usually carrying a variety of low carb bars but someday . . . .

Try this instead . . . . I understand that it be inconvenient and uncomfortable but I've visited a peanute allergy blog and some of the posters talk about wearing full face respirators to protect themselves for aerosol peanut "dust."

I like that better -- the person with the problem, who decides to fly with their problem, takes care of their problem.

Anyway, that's what I think.
Your username is awesome.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by HongKonger
I'm quite familiar with the hygiene hypothesis and I agree that it is partly to blame for various immune dysfunctions. But I don't understand why there is such a difference in the frequency of allergy to nuts (and gluten for that matter) in the US compared to Europe, which is quite clean, and Japan, which is obsessively clean. Japanese are fastidiously clean and yet in the time I've spent there it doesn't seem that allergies are very common.
I know that I'll be virtually slapped for this, but perhaps for some of the same reasons for which ECVs are not common in places like France and Germany, just as peanut allergy are not so common?

It may be a different approach and reaction to the problem, combined with lower rates of incidence.

On the LH flight I mentioned earlier, I was sitting in the waiting area and the crew did their briefing next to me. Purser said 'we have a nut. Allergy on board' and several FA's said 'A WHAT? What is a peanut allergy?' When it was explained, the next question was why on earth that person with an allergy to a legume would demand that all nuts be banned on board.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 6:50 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Flew ORD EWR on an EXP upgrade yesterday. Snack flight, chicken wrap or salmon salad. I am a vegetarian. Only thing offered were nuts...if the "alergy police were out, I would have gone hungry !
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Does Delta pull the snack boxes on flights if someone has a nut allergy or do they simply ask people not to open the products containg peanuts?

If it's a long flight I am not upgraded on, the snack boxes are the most substantial thing you can use your boarding pass coupons on. I have no problems not eating the trail mix, but would still like to be able to eat the other items and sometimes I will use the coupon on one and take it to my hotel to eat later.

Sounds like Delta would be out a lot of revenue as well if they pulled those on flights with allergies.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
Does Delta pull the snack boxes on flights if someone has a nut allergy or do they simply ask people not to open the products containg peanuts?

If it's a long flight I am not upgraded on, the snack boxes are the most substantial thing you can use your boarding pass coupons on. I have no problems not eating the trail mix, but would still like to be able to eat the other items and sometimes I will use the coupon on one and take it to my hotel to eat later.

Sounds like Delta would be out a lot of revenue as well if they pulled those on flights with allergies.
Here's what Delta says about their peanut policy:

Effective on flights operating June 1, 2012 and beyond, when you notify us that you have a peanut allergy, we’ll refrain from serving peanuts and peanut products onboard your flight. We'll also advise cabin service to board additional non-peanut snacks, which will allow our flight attendants to serve these snack items to everyone within this area.
So, I guess they're supposed to refrain from serving anything with peanuts, but they should have other items available. I've never seen this in practice, so I don't know if they actually adhere to it.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
The policy will only work if they have advance notice of the peanut allergy so that they can stock additional non-peanut snacks. They should also notify all pax by email (to the extent that they have email addresses for them) in advance and offer them the opportunity to change their flight.

I think the policy is stupid, but if they are going to have it, they should also require that the peanut allergic person notify DL at the time of booking if they expect to have such a policy enforced. None of this "oh by the way" to the GA during boarding.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by DLFan2
The policy will only work if they have advance notice of the peanut allergy so that they can stock additional non-peanut snacks. They should also notify all pax by email (to the extent that they have email addresses for them) in advance and offer them the opportunity to change their flight.

I think the policy is stupid, but if they are going to have it, they should also require that the peanut allergic person notify DL at the time of booking if they expect to have such a policy enforced. None of this "oh by the way" to the GA during boarding.
Absolutely.

And if the passenger fails to advise the airline until boarding, they should be deplaned, as LH did, and other carriers have done.

And if the passenger fails to advise the airline until after takeoff, they should be ...
Old Mar 15, 2013, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Originally Posted by exbayern
absolutely.

And if the passenger fails to advise the airline until boarding, they should be deplaned, as lh did, and other carriers have done.

And if the passenger fails to advise the airline until after takeoff, they should be ...
exposed to peanut dust, and lots of it!
Old Mar 16, 2013, 7:16 pm

Once took a four hour flight with 2 year old, 4 year old and 6 year old. I had snacks in my bag for the kids including peanut m&ms, peanut butter crackers and trail mix. Then FA announced no nuts allowed to be opened on the plane! Horrible! With warning, I could have easily purchased food in the airport, but there was NOTHING kid friendly for sale on the plane besides pretzels which my kids hated.

My kids cried so much that the person with the allergy gave me all her own snacks. She told me she always packs extras for people like me and my kids. She should have brought enough for the whole plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.