Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Severe Peanut Allergy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2013, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Originally Posted by zabesudok
Once took a four hour flight with 2 year old, 4 year old and 6 year old. I had snacks in my bag for the kids including peanut m&ms, peanut butter crackers and trail mix. Then FA announced no nuts allowed to be opened on the plane! Horrible! With warning, I could have easily purchased food in the airport, but there was NOTHING kid friendly for sale on the plane besides pretzels which my kids hated.

My kids cried so much that the person with the allergy gave me all her own snacks. She told me she always packs extras for people like me and my kids. She should have brought enough for the whole plane.
You should have pulled out your M&M Peanut package and opened it, then fed your kids. Offer one to the "allergic" person.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 9:15 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Originally Posted by Oakshadow
On a side note, HA is the worst culprit of nut-heavy dishes. In F, almost all of their meals are with macadamia nuts or coconuts. I have to fill up on bread.
On another side note- GOOD NEWS. Neither of those things is a nut either.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
What are they going to do if a passenger has acrophobia or a fear of flying!? Not take off?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by zabesudok
Once took a four hour flight with 2 year old, 4 year old and 6 year old. I had snacks in my bag for the kids including peanut m&ms, peanut butter crackers and trail mix. Then FA announced no nuts allowed to be opened on the plane! Horrible! With warning, I could have easily purchased food in the airport, but there was NOTHING kid friendly for sale on the plane besides pretzels which my kids hated.

My kids cried so much that the person with the allergy gave me all her own snacks. She told me she always packs extras for people like me and my kids. She should have brought enough for the whole plane.
And this is one of the problems and reasons why people tend to lack much empathy for the nut crowd.

One cannot demand respect from people while at the same time not offering respect to those same people.

You are correct; the person should have ensured that information was given well before the flight so that people could have found alternatives, and if they were packing snacks, needed to realise that their 'safe' snacks may not be suitable or adequate for the rest of the plane.

It's sort of like the family who gave out 'pre-apology' treat bags to the entire plane for the anticipated bad behaviour of their children, instead of taking responsibility for their behaviour. Over the years online I have read many parents say that they refuse to give advance notice or request an announcement in the gate area as they don't want to 'shame their child'.

And it's interesting that on another travel forum the nut allergy group is discussing this same topic, but there seems to be pretty much zero empathy for the plight of fellow passengers who find themselves in this situation. While I understand that some (a very small number, and certainly fewer than those who claim to be in that state online) do have truly deadly allergies, they seem to think that it must be all or nothing. One claims that a passenger in the front of the aircraft went into anaphylaxis because another passenger in the very last row of the plane (a 737) ate a sandwich. I find that very difficult to believe, and is the type of hyperbole which makes people doubt the severity of the situation.

Last edited by exbayern; Mar 17, 2013 at 3:50 am
Old Mar 17, 2013, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
exbayern: ^^
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:41 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Had this happen RDU-MSP this morning. F/as mentioned there would be pretzels and cookies only due to someone with a peanut allergy on board. My first time hearing it.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by CMK10
Had this happen RDU-MSP this morning. F/as mentioned there would be pretzels and cookies only due to someone with a peanut allergy on board. My first time hearing it.
Same for me on a recent LHR JFK flight.

I have a colleague with a severe nut allergy. She's talked about some past reactions...while she can be around them, it sounds kinda scary and crazy when they've been unknowingly ingested.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 8:16 am
Taz

Programs: DL PM
Happened this morning SRQ-ATL as well. Jerk in the row in front of me (after he pushed me out of the way to board in Zone 1 because he's an FO and important!) was composing his complaint/request for compensation email en route.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 8:33 am

Same for me too on MAN/ATL this week. Heard the coach announcement about no peanuts for all coach. Of course, BE had the small packs of what?....sugared almonds I think.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by Taz
Happened this morning SRQ-ATL as well. Jerk in the row in front of me (after he pushed me out of the way to board in Zone 1 because he's an FO and important!) was composing his complaint/request for compensation email en route.
Wow. A complaint over NO peanuts! That's crazy.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bottom line is that it's close to a meaningless sop to liability-avoidance by the carrier. People bring all kinds of nut-containing products onboard, leave the wrappers from the nuts distributed on the last flight in the seatback pocket and so on. If you have a severe nut allergy, short of scrubbing down the aircraft and quizzing each boarding pax individually, you are still at significant risk.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 10:19 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Often1
Bottom line is that it's close to a meaningless sop to liability-avoidance by the carrier. People bring all kinds of nut-containing products onboard, leave the wrappers from the nuts distributed on the last flight in the seatback pocket and so on. If you have a severe nut allergy, short of scrubbing down the aircraft and quizzing each boarding pax individually, you are still at significant risk.
Yep. In fact, I have a ziplock bag filled with Trader Joe's chili lime peanuts in my bag
Old Apr 5, 2014, 10:24 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
A coupl'a tidbitz . . . .

A coupl'a years ago, I was on an RJ from PIT/CVG. The FA made a HUGE schpiel about - - IF anyone has a peanut allergy, to please let her know, and she won't serve any, and she will make announcements so that nobody else eats any, if they have any - and not to be afraid to speak up if you have an allergy - yada yada.

Same flight / FA I wrote about once before, who, literally seconds after she hung up the microphone after her landing announcement, came back to the lav and KNOCKED on the door and told me to get out - and that she had made an announcement to take our seats!!

Originally Posted by Often1
If you have a severe nut allergy, short of scrubbing down the aircraft . . . .
Flying WN, I saw a family of 3, all in a row, had placed seat covers on all 3 of their seats. When the plane emptied out, I noticed that they left them behind! Disposable airplane seat covers! Imagine! I may have even posted it somewhere in this thread.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
If someone is so allergic to peanuts (or whatever) that me eating a few of them anywhere in the plane will cause a near death experience, how does that person deal with the fact that there must be some amount of peanut dust in the cabin from all those peanuts eaten in previous flights, up until they boarded?

I've been wondering about that for a long time.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
As usual, it is not the people with true peanut allergies who annoy us all. It is the overwhelming majority who think maybe they might have an allergy, and get their attention fix by using this to control others, and thereby ruin it for the people with the real problem.

Just like the wheelchair cheats, the "service" dog cheats, the "handicapped preboarding" cheats, they ruin it for the people that actually need the consideration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.