Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Severe Peanut Allergy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by theddo
I think it is perfectly reasonable to require you to carry a life saving device with you if you fly in a metal container for a couple of hours, and not because I think you should prove you have an allergy but because I think you should carry an Epi-Pen if you may die without it. I also think you should carry more than one on a plane, and some cortisone and antihistamines.
+1
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:10 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by theddo
I think it is perfectly reasonable to require you to carry a life saving device with you if you fly in a metal container for a couple of hours, and not because I think you should prove you have an allergy but because I think you should carry an Epi-Pen if you may die without it. I also think you should carry more than one on a plane, and some cortisone and antihistamines.

If you don't and are allergic to peanuts I would consider it a Darwin award honourable mention.
No argument here, but I don't think there should be someone checking for it. Like I said, it's outside the scope of the gate agent's and the pilot's jobs. Do they know what they look like? What kind of pen it should be? Should they be checking expiration dates? Brands? Easy access to the passenger? etc.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
After reading 4 pages on this subject I believe that everyone has made their point. Therefore I am closing this discussion down before someone develops an allergy to FT.

RSSrsvp - Moderator
Old Mar 11, 2016, 12:32 pm

Peanuts!!!

Well, Delta... You have done it again. I am a frequent flyer with a peanut allergy. I don't often fly delta due to them serving peanuts on their flights. However, this past week the flight was so cheap I chose Delta. The delta policy states that if you notify the airline in advance they will not serve peanuts on the plane... Spoke with them on the phone a week before so they could mark my profile, checked in with the gate agent to confirm my ticket, and then also mentioned it to the flight attendants. Well, the person in front of me was asked "peanuts, cookies, or pretzels." I got up out of my seat to tell the flight attendant, and got yelled at that the seatbelt sign was still on. They are damn lucky I didn't have a reaction...

You've lost my business. And I hope many others.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt PL, PC Spire/RA, HH GOLD, SPG Green, Marriott Silver, Skywards B, CSA Gold, Lufthansa Paper,UA
You are allergic to the word "Peanuts" or the Peanuts themselves?

How close must they be to cause harm to you?
Old Mar 11, 2016, 12:41 pm

I carry mutliple epi-pens with me. I was fortunate to stop the flight attendant before they were distributed.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 12:45 pm

If you havee peanuts allergy, don't travel on an airlines that serves peanuts. You are infringing other people's rights. You can't stop people from bringing peanuts to a train or a bus. Why are you taking advantage of an airline?

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Mar 11, 2016 at 1:31 pm Reason: Removed an attempt to bypass FT's profanity filter
Old Mar 11, 2016, 12:51 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
For those curious, here is Delta's published Peanut Allergy policy:
Peanut Allergies
When you notify us that you have a peanut allergy, we’ll refrain from serving peanuts and peanut products onboard your flight. We'll also advise cabin service to board additional non-peanut snacks, which will allow our flight attendants to serve these snack items to everyone within this area. Gate agents will be notified in case you'd like to pre-board and cleanse the immediate seating area. Unfortunately we still can't guarantee that the flight will be completely peanut-free. Note that some snack products on board may be processed in plants which also process peanut products.
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...bilities.html#

Seems like Delta didn't follow their stated policy on the OP's flight. However, I have heard the "we have a customer with a peanut allergy" announcement many times so IME the OP's flight wasn't the norm for Delta.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by Andrew Ying
If you havee peanuts allergy, don't travel on an airlines that serves peanuts. You are infringing other people's rights. You can't stop people from bringing peanuts to a train or a bus. Why are you taking advantage of an airline?
+1

I'm "allergic" to those who think their needs are more important than everyone else's. Peanuts are the only non-carb laden snack offered.

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Mar 11, 2016 at 1:33 pm Reason: Removed quoted comments deleted by the moderator
Old Mar 11, 2016, 12:58 pm

[I'm "allergic" to those who think their needs are more important than everyone else's. Peanuts are the only non-carb laden snack offered.
][/QUOTE]

@:-)So, carry an apple. Or buy a snack before you board.@:-)
Old Mar 11, 2016, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Andrew Ying
^^^

When I was allergic to peanuts (I fortunately outgrew the allergy) I made sure I took the necessary steps to protect myself, and not infringe on others around me eating peanut products. Apparently the OP thinks he is more important than everyone else.

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Mar 11, 2016 at 1:33 pm Reason: Removed quoted commnts alreay deleted by the moderator
Old Mar 11, 2016, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by BostonBound
If all I brought was trail mix with nuts, shouldn't it be YOU who buys me another snack since you're the one with the issue? Why should others have to fork out extra money because of YOUR issue?
Old Mar 11, 2016, 1:05 pm

]
@:-)So, carry an apple. Or buy a snack before you board.@:-)[/QUOTE]

I hope we won't ever be on the same plane. Cz I will make sure to bring a pack of peanuts every single time I fly Delta. Bring your own med.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Apples are not low carb.

I often carry my own snacks but most of them include nuts of various persuasions.

Have you tried one of the peanut desensitization protocols or are you satisfied to live your life in fear of a peanut?
Old Mar 11, 2016, 1:18 pm

<Grabs Popcorn>

IBTL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.