FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   DL Schedule Mess (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1446349-dl-schedule-mess.html)

waltinsocal Mar 9, 2013 7:03 pm

I guess every airline has its problems, but why does IT crap like this, plus crap with the award calendar, not seem to happen with the other major carriers' websites? I think we all know the answer to that, and if any of the DL reps are still around reading these threads, your company should be, but won't be, ashamed. It is rank amateurism at its worst to do this kind of stuff. When it comes to IT problems/screwups, we can truly say that DL has won the "race to the bottom".

SoraAoi Mar 9, 2013 7:19 pm

Hate Delta!

Hate this airline, with all my guts. Back on the original flight, but lost all seat assignments. Scattered all over the cabin, in the middle seats, non-EC, of course. I so wish for them to go out of business and never surface on the afce of this planet again! Only regret wasting 20+ yrs of my loyalty on them.

davetravels Mar 9, 2013 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by SoraAoi (Post 20392089)
Hate this airline

Yes, I've heard that UA & AA are perfectly flawless!

Originally Posted by DetroitDIS (Post 20391409)
. . . there are now NO direct flights from DTW to MCO in the morning from August 15th onward.

There seem to be 6 nonstops back in the system now:

7:45 AM
10:10 AM
12:10 PM
2:20 PM
5:45 PM
7:35 PM

Unfortunately, no cheapie fare classes available on the first 4 flights.

Bicostal Mar 9, 2013 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 20391672)
Watch the seat maps. Once I picked a seat in the middle of a schedule change, when the seat map was wide open and the next day my seat was changed to something much less desirable. I think the seat assignments from the previous flight were restored after a day or so.

Seat map now full and in my previously selected EC seats. No upgrade but hey, I can deal with it.

SomeGuy Mar 9, 2013 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by SoraAoi (Post 20392020)
The point being?

The point being that I was trying to help you when you invariably call back.

bpe Mar 9, 2013 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by SoraAoi (Post 20392089)
Hate this airline, with all my guts. Back on the original flight, but lost all seat assignments. Scattered all over the cabin, in the middle seats, non-EC, of course. I so wish for them to go out of business and never surface on the afce of this planet again! Only regret wasting 20+ yrs of my loyalty on them.

:rolleyes: Over this one incident?

Try UA or US/AA and you'll see that they are in general no better or worse than Delta.

AeroWesty Mar 9, 2013 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 20391453)
2nd, not to seem snooty, but I believe you want a non-stop, NOT a direct flight. Direct flights make a stop somewhere along the way, but keep the same flight number - like DTW/ATL/MCO. That would be a direct flight.

A direct flight may be either nonstop or with stops, as long as the flight number stays the same. Even though airlines like to sell a flight as direct which includes a change-of-gauge, I believe that bends the rules.

While I dislike using wikipedia as a source, they seem to agree with this definition of a direct flight as well.

davetravels Mar 9, 2013 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by AeroWesty (Post 20392218)
A direct flight may be either nonstop or with stops

This is from dictionary.com:

direct flight

a flight with one or more intermediate stops but no change of aircraft

AeroWesty Mar 9, 2013 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 20392258)
This is from dictionary.com:

direct flight

a flight with one or more intermediate stops but no change of aircraft

I think you'll find some definitions with that description, as there is no legal definition of a direct flight. But historically, direct has always meant same aircraft, same flight number, regardless of the number of stops (as we've seen an earlier poster use it).

davetravels Mar 9, 2013 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by AeroWesty (Post 20392310)
I think you'll find some definitions with that description, as there is no legal definition of a direct flight. But historically, direct has always meant same aircraft, same flight number, regardless of the number of stops (as we've seen an earlier poster use it).

I'm not trying to seem argumentative - it's just one of my pet peeves . . . . I find that usually non-seasoned travelers use the "direct" term - meaning nonstop. Naturally, I alwayz take a minute to explain it to them - at least my interpretation! ;)

:)

It's a shame a (handsome) single (travel nerd) guy has nuthin' better to do on a Saturday nite than have this debate with ya'! :D

BigFlyer Mar 9, 2013 8:32 pm

I frequently correct people on this point as well - I think I am doing then a favor by doing so. If they are ever offered a "direct flight" after that, they will not mistakenly accept it thinking it is non-stop.

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 20392328)
I'm not trying to seem argumentative - it's just one of my pet peeves . . . . I find that usually non-seasoned travelers use the "direct" term - meaning nonstop. Naturally, I alwayz take a minute to explain it to them - at least my interpretation! ;)

:)

It's a shame a single guy has nuthin' better to do on a Saturday nite than have this debate with ya'! :D

AeroWesty Mar 9, 2013 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 20392328)

I realize that's your view, it's just that it isn't a universally correct or accepted definition. Those who use 'direct' to mean nonstop, usually mean more mature or seasoned traveler to me. It's all in the interpretation, age, even region from where one may hail which have an influence on the definition. The only thing I've ever seen anyone agree upon is that 'direct' did not include a connection.

DetroitDIS Mar 9, 2013 8:51 pm

Wow...sorry to interrupt the semantics party on the thread, but it still doesn't show my times for NON-STOP flights to MCO from DTW for November. It's encouraging to hear that other flights have resurfaced...

davetravels Mar 9, 2013 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by DetroitDIS (Post 20392393)
Wow...sorry to interrupt the semantics party on the thread, but it still doesn't show my times for NON-STOP flights to MCO from DTW for November. It's encouraging to hear that other flights have resurfaced...

What date in Nov? ExpertFlyer show 6 nonstops on Nov 13.

SomeGuy Mar 9, 2013 9:04 pm

My flight for Thursday morning from SDF-ATL is now showing cancelled. Luckily, I know I don't need to call...yet.