Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta and Starwood introduce Crossover Rewards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta and Starwood introduce Crossover Rewards

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Xeno
Would the combined program not be negotiating with both DL and United to make a deal?
One would think so. And I can't imagine Marriott picking United over Delta, but maybe the depth of relationship has been there so long they will.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 6:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
An important difference is that UA gave genuine status to Marriott elites (Silver for Marriott Platy and an unpublished Gold (and *A *Gold) for Marriott Platinum Premiers which was the unpublished invitation only level widely rumored to require at least three years in excess of 100 nights each), versus crossover that just gave certain benefits including upgrades when flying DL.

Unfortunately I think the result is R I P Crossover.

Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ethernal
Per the new members.marriott.com page:
This reads as corporate speak for the program is most likely going to end.
Yep. If they had good news to share, they'd have shared it today. RIP easiest SPG points I ever earned.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:05 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Xeno
Would the combined program not be negotiating with both DL and United to make a deal?
Yes, but the relationship and set-up with United is so much better and so much more valuable to guests (e.g. RewardsPlus Hotel + Air packages), so one can only hope that if Marriott has to choose one, that it sticks with United: the *A miles at such a steal is one of the best use of Marriott and SPG points. It would be a massive devaluation if Marriott did something similar with Delta.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Yes, but the relationship and set-up with United is so much better and so much more valuable to guests ...
Just depends on your perspective. Since I have all the status I could ever need with both UA & MR already, I get nothing from the program; I never even bothered to link my accounts. OTOH, the DL-SPG cross-earning means I benefit every single time I fly DL or stay at a SPG hotel.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I'm assuming that Crossover will die.
I've traditionally transferred my SPG to Delta when I hit a 20K threshold (for the 5K bonus). I've always been able to redeem SM at a low level so I gladly take them. I'll hit 20K this week on my SPG, transfer them to DL and then wait to see what happens since I don't have and hotel stays planned before the July 15 announcement.
I'm anticipating free agency for the relatively few hotel stays I have every year.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:53 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
I'm assuming that Crossover will die.
I've traditionally transferred my SPG to Delta when I hit a 20K threshold (for the 5K bonus). I've always been able to redeem SM at a low level so I gladly take them. I'll hit 20K this week on my SPG, transfer them to DL and then wait to see what happens since I don't have and hotel stays planned before the July 15 announcement.
I'm anticipating free agency for the relatively few hotel stays I have every year.
This is the saddest story I've ever heard. There are hundreds of better uses of SPG points than transferring to Delta!!!!!!!!!! Crossover Rewards is great because you earn Delta miles on top of the other SPG points you already have, but taking the SPG points you've earned and turning them into Delta miles is usually not a great deal.

At the very least hang onto your SPG points for now -- the new award chart means there may be some interesting values coming for high-end hotels later this year. And the current 20K SPG points->25K Delta miles transfer option has been confirmed to be remaining -- it will now be 60K Marriott points (equal to 20K SPG points) transfers to 25K airline miles, including Delta miles.
aacar, CPMaverick, RealHJ and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
Which is a bummer since my brand loyalty these days is to Starwood and Delta but it is what it is.
I rarely stay at *wood properties, despite having SPG Gold via Amex, because their rates trend higher and benefits/amenities lower than the other chains. It was nice to get the freebie points, but I'm not terribly heartbroken that it's going away (presumably).

My only question is, is it a hard cutoff where flights/stays before the 15th get points, and nothing after? Or is it based on booking or check-in/departure date? I've got a long-ish, expensive trip on DL starting on the 7th, returning on the 17th- hoping I get crossover points for it all.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by captaink
My only question is, is it a hard cutoff where flights/stays before the 15th get points, and nothing after? Or is it based on booking or check-in/departure date? I've got a long-ish, expensive trip on DL starting on the 7th, returning on the 17th- hoping I get crossover points for it all.

I am pretty confident that it will be based on the date of travel since this is when points are earned (a booking that is not traveled does not earn points).
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
It's official - the program fully ends July 15th. More details here.

Originally Posted by Delta website
  • Crossover RewardsTM will continue through July 15, 2018, with all current benefits being honored through that date. We expect to have more to share on this program before July 15. SPG hotel bookings for stays with a check-out date after July 15, 2018 will not be eligible for earning miles or hotel benefits under the Crossover RewardsTM program
Xeno likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Bummer. But I suppose they're still holding out some hope that something will be continued...
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: Delta PM
deleted
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Originally Posted by ethernal
It's official - the program fully ends July 15th. More details here.
It's literally official that they are clearly hoping something new is in place by the time the current program ends. But it's not at all official there will be no cross-earning benefit.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:35 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by bgriff
This is the saddest story I've ever heard. There are hundreds of better uses of SPG points than transferring to Delta!!!!!!!!!!
My thoughts exactly. I nearly choked on my beer when I read someone was transferring SPG to Delta.

Please, use my DL Pesos and give me those SPG points!!!
RealHJ and DiverDave like this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:11 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
Just depends on your perspective. Since I have all the status I could ever need with both UA & MR already, I get nothing from the program; I never even bothered to link my accounts. OTOH, the DL-SPG cross-earning means I benefit every single time I fly DL or stay at a SPG hotel.
Oh yes and the DL-SPG cross-over rewards is a great program. For the customers. Sadly, that is why it likely won't survive.

I sure hope it does, of course, as it's easy earning of valuable SPG points.

But if it's only one of the two, the UA and Marriott tie-up is much closer and provides more benefit in terms of making Marriott/SPG points more valuable and matching elite status from one program to the other.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.