Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta and Starwood introduce Crossover Rewards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta and Starwood introduce Crossover Rewards

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by bgriff
This is the saddest story I've ever heard. There are hundreds of better uses of SPG points than transferring to Delta!!!!!!!!!! Crossover Rewards is great because you earn Delta miles on top of the other SPG points you already have, but taking the SPG points you've earned and turning them into Delta miles is usually not a great deal.

At the very least hang onto your SPG points for now -- the new award chart means there may be some interesting values coming for high-end hotels later this year. And the current 20K SPG points->25K Delta miles transfer option has been confirmed to be remaining -- it will now be 60K Marriott points (equal to 20K SPG points) transfers to 25K airline miles, including Delta miles.
Unhappily Marriott is double dipping the program merger with a massive devaluation of Marriott points.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by captaink
I rarely stay at *wood properties, despite having SPG Gold via Amex, because their rates trend higher and benefits/amenities lower than the other chains. It was nice to get the freebie points, but I'm not terribly heartbroken that it's going away (presumably).

My only question is, is it a hard cutoff where flights/stays before the 15th get points, and nothing after? Or is it based on booking or check-in/departure date? I've got a long-ish, expensive trip on DL starting on the 7th, returning on the 17th- hoping I get crossover points for it all.
The current announcement (IIRC the DL links in the email lead to a DL news item with FAQs) says that the end is based on checkout date for hotels and scheduled departure time for the segment for flights.

Since consecutive nights at the same hotel are counted as a single stay, I suspect that checking out on July 15th in the middle of a longer stay will not lead to DL miles for the spend during the first set of nights but YMMV.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:02 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Unhappily Marriott is double dipping the program merger with a massive devaluation of Marriott points.
This is not at all certain to be true yet. Maybe I will be wrong but it seems completely implausible that they will just carry over current Marriott hotel category numbers to the new program -- I would expect that hotels will move to a new category number requiring a similar number of points as now.

Not to mention that assuming that hotels stay in the same category number means what for current Marriott Cat 9? And are you also assuming that SPG Cat 6s and 7s will suddenly cost a ton less, and Ritz Tier 5s will cost a ton less?

The new category system has no relation to any of the current category/tier systems.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by bgriff
This is the saddest story I've ever heard. There are hundreds of better uses of SPG points than transferring to Delta!!!!!!!!!! Crossover Rewards is great because you earn Delta miles on top of the other SPG points you already have, but taking the SPG points you've earned and turning them into Delta miles is usually not a great deal.

At the very least hang onto your SPG points for now -- the new award chart means there may be some interesting values coming for high-end hotels later this year. And the current 20K SPG points->25K Delta miles transfer option has been confirmed to be remaining -- it will now be 60K Marriott points (equal to 20K SPG points) transfers to 25K airline miles, including Delta miles.
This is the saddest reply I've ever seen. You made some assumptions. I'm sure that you're familiar with the adage about those who make assumptions and you, sadly, fit the description perfectly.

I don't stay at high end hotels. I don't use points to stay at hotels. I stay at SPG properties about 4 -6 times a year and all of those stays are at AMS when I have an early flight the next morning. I prefer the CitizenM but my wife insists on the traditional hotel and the walkway to the terminal is very convenient. I book well in advance and usually get good prices.

As far as our travels in Europe are concerned, SPG has a dearth of properties and Marriott's are expensive and usually not located where we want to stay, so the likelihood of our staying at Marriott / SPG properties won't increase. We have a goal of finding nice local properties for under 200€ a night and Marriott / SPG don't meet our requirements.

Delta SM's actually mean a lot to me. I average 2.5+ cpm since I have a lot of scheduling flexibility. 25K SM are worth $500+ in ticket equivalencies to me. The AMS rooms are 12,000 points a night so 20K points doesn't do much for us. Because we book well in advance, we pay under $200 a night.

We use the SM either for our kids (who are on tight schedules) or when we can't get flights with GUC's at booking and the non-rev opportunities in D1 are not projected to be good, either because of A/C type (752) or other circumstances. For example, I just used SM for my kids to join us for a vacation and they flew in D1 Suites in the A350. The value was over 2.5 cpm.

I'm sure that your use of SPG / Marriott points fits with your needs just as my usage fits with my needs. I suggest that you realize that your solutions are not for everyone else and that your assumptions do not pertain to everyone.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Well at least I'm getting a TATL J trip in before the SPG earning for DL flights ends.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.