Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta, Air France and KLM Announce Final Steps toward Fare Class Alignment

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by exwannabe
So what are the new X/V classes added below LUT? A placeholder for low earning classes?
See Phase 4 in the OP.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: DL Medialia Platina
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
This in an email just received from Delta.

Even though there's been an official DL followup post on Page 2 or 3 about some of the implementation and how there will be 2-letter internal R and O codes, why does the Jeremy Clarkson catchphrase of "What could POSSIBLY go wrong?" keep running through my mind as I read this thread?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by amolkold
So does this mean that mileage upgrades will now trump complimentary upgrades at the gate? Same inventory bucket ...
SWU/Mileage upgrades always trump comp upgrades
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
1. Will upgrades using miles or SWUs come from these same upgrade inventory classes, RU and OU, or will have different two-letter codes (Rsomething and Osomething) for upgrades using instruments? In other words, will the current distinction between V and G or X and Z be maintained?
Perhaps you should re-read Dwayne's post, he already answered your questions:

Originally Posted by DwayneSkyMiles
Though we don’t publish these fare classes externally, many of you know that we use V/X classes for Medallion Complimentary Upgrades. R and O classes are used for Award Tickets today but we already use dual character classes internally to further differentiate Award Ticket inventory. This is how we provide enhanced availability for Medallion members. When you redeem for an Award Ticket, Delta sees a dual character class while our customers may see R, O, or N class. The new fare classes for complimentary upgrades RU/OU will not impact your availability to clear for Medallion Complimentary Upgrades or your access to Award Ticket inventory because Complimentary Upgrades will not be tied to the same internal dual character classes that are used for Award tickets.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Vuelos
SWU/Mileage upgrades always trump comp upgrades
Mileage upgrades do not trump comp upgrades once at the gate. I learned that the hard way on an H fare as an FO once.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by javabytes

Also, who wants to wager on MQM or SkyMiles earning rates for X, V, and E fares? I think the M fare change sets this up perfectly for 50% MQM earning.
I would bet the farm on it - or as Spock would say "It is logical"
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:34 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by exwannabe
So what are the new X/V classes added below LUT? A placeholder for low earning classes?
Hopefully they will just move the third party fares they announced last year that already earn reduced MQMs into these classes.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Who needs to read when you can talk instead?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Ugh, talk about making it more complicated... I guess that goes along with the new medallion earning system with MQDs. Now there are what, like 2 dozen fare letters? 4 classes of F service now?

I'm very concerned about not being able to see upgrade inventory on EF... and especially when G/Z gets changed to pull from O/R. Does this mean the only way we're going to be able to check for SWU usage is to keep calling and have an agent on the phone for an hour?

Last edited by rylan; Jan 23, 2013 at 12:38 pm
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
I knew something was fishy when my award fare classes changed from N to NK etc!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:56 pm

I have a few S fares booked for travel in March and beyond. Will the change in late February automatically map these existing reservations into Z inventory, or will they stay in S?

Since I credit my travel to partner programs, which have tendencies to be very slow in updating their earning tables, I'm hoping that I won't need to jump through hoops in order to receive proper mileage after the realignment of fare classes.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 1:12 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Phase 5

a new fare class will be offered to former medallions and kettles alike. This fare class will be priced at $35-$735 more than the lowest available coach class depending on the current zodiac sign, and whether Spirit had a sale going on.

It will usher in a 4 letter era:

The WFBF class will be designed for your motherinlaw that just has to be put in the F cabin even on a 90 minute flight and also for last minute honeymooners flying on our ratty 757's to Mexico. Planes with VHS will also offer $20 off vs planes with Lincoln ads in your face.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
DwayneSkyMiles did not answer whether complimentary medallion upgrades (V and X) will continue to be a separate inventory from mileage upgrade awards / SWUs (G and Z).

Instead, he explained that upgrade inventories (V/G and X/Z) will not be merged with award flight inventory (R and O, respectively). To be honest, I doubt this was a pressing question to anyone, since the possibility seemed outlandish.

Ultimately, it is still very important for Delta to explain: Will complimentary medallion upgrade inventory (V and X) merge with mileage upgrade award / SWU inventory (G and Z)? If so, will mileage upgrade awards finally trump complimentary medallion upgrades?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 2:21 pm

Reminds me of a South Park episode:

Phase 1: Get Underpants
Phase 2:
Phase 3: Profit!

Last edited by BackOfTheBus; Jan 23, 2013 at 2:22 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 23, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by mtkeller
That's my hope, but that would be a customer-friendly move. We all know that DL isn't well-known for those things. Although if EF is paying them for the access, maybe they'll decide they want to keep the revenue stream going.
Makes you wonder why DL doesn't simply charge us for the same access!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.