Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta, Air France and KLM Announce Final Steps toward Fare Class Alignment

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta, Air France and KLM Announce Final Steps toward Fare Class Alignment

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2013, 5:20 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Russ21Atl
Originally Posted by rylan
I hope that both medallion upgrades and mile/SWU upgrades aren't tied to the same RU/OU buckets. That would likely result in reduced availability for both.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't understand this comment. Using the same inventory for both types of upgrades will implicitly change the priority ordering in some cases, but the ultimate constraint is the number of seats that remain in FC/BE at the gate. The only impact would somehow be when not offering as many early upgrades results in more FC/BE tickets being sold, but if revenue management is doing things right, this case shouldn't happen.
RU replaces V and OU replaces X; these classes are used for Elite Complimentary Upgrades (ECUs).

RP replaces G and OP replaces Z; these classes are used for non-ECU upgrades (e.g., mileage upgrades, systemwide upgrade certs, etc).

Just checking a random flt from JFK-SLC in December and there is 1 RU open while G is 0, so yes, they appear to remain separate.
Where did you get the info re RP and OP? Thanks!
Old Feb 3, 2013, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I don't know if it has anything to do with the recent fare class alignment situation but today I received and e-mail from Air France containing a survey about the Delta website.

Now I am very accustomed to seeing such surveys from companies that have recently made changes of some sort but I have never received one from Company A asking about Company B. @:-)
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:26 pm

I received some correspondence from Delta today regarding a question that I posted upthread, so I'd like to pass on some information.

Upon implementation of phases 3 and 4, all previously-booked inventory will be mapped into the new fare class hierarchy. For instance, on the 23rd of this month, all itineraries with segments booked in S (departing on or after the 27th) will see the displayed class of service change to Z. For those using a non-Delta FFP, Delta will report the paid class of service as Z; this means that if your FFP's earning tables have not been updated by the time of your flight, you will not be credited with miles at the current S fare levels.

Currently, most partner earning tables identify Z as a non-earning class of service, as it has not traditionally been associated with revenue fares; the same will apply to X, G, and V after phase 4 has been implemented in March. I encourage those of you who credit to partner programs to check your respective earnings tables prior to departure of the first segment of your journey, as the FF number cannot be changed after the first segment departs. Many of Delta's parter FFPs - Flying Blue, I'm looking at you - are notoriously slow in updating their earnings charts, so receiving credit for travel in Z may be like pulling teeth. If your preferred FFP does not show earning tiers for Z/X/V/G on the day of departure, it would probably be wise to credit your flights to a different program, rather than risk earning 0 miles.

The above advice is especially pertinent to those with S fares booked within the first months after the transition to Z. My correspondence with DL did not clarify which, if any, of the existing classes of service will map into X, V, G, or S after implementation of phase 4.

Keep in mind that this information came from the "canned response generator" after I posed the question via the delta.com comment card. So it may be wise to take the above with a grain, or perhaps even an entire mine, of salt.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 5:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
It seems to me that this would have been the perfect time to establish a separate inventory for those using an SWU versus those using miles to do upgrades in advance.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM/MM
Delta Updates Travel Professionals on Status of Fare Class Alignment

(February 5, 2013) -- On January 22, Delta announced the final steps of an initiative to align fare classes for published and private fares with Air France and KLM, a process that started in early 2011. (Click here to view the Jan. 22 E-Mail)

As previously communicated, the final steps are occurring between now and March 2013. Delta would like to provide a brief status update for the initiative:
· Phase 1 - Delta is pleased to inform travel professionals of the successful completion of the first phase whereby all V/X segments for travel on/after Jan. 30 have been successfully converted to RU/OU class of service.

· The dates of implementation for Phases 2 & 3 have been adjusted as follows:
o Phase 2 dates have been adjusted from effective Feb. 6 for travel on/after Feb. 19 to effective Feb. 20 for travel on/after Feb. 27.

o Phase 3 dates have been adjusted from effective Feb. 23 for travel on/after Feb. 27 to effective March 2 for travel on/after March 6.
· Phase 4 - The final phase continues to be scheduled for completion on March 19.
All dates are tentative.

Last edited by Pharaoh; Feb 6, 2013 at 11:58 am
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do we know anything about whether EF will show the replacement inventory class (claimed somewhere in this thread to be OP and RP but AFAIK not officially confirmed) for Z and G?
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:15 pm
Suspended

Do we know anything about whether EF will show the replacement inventory class (claimed somewhere in this thread to be OP and RP but AFAIK not officially confirmed) for Z and G?
We still don't know. I've asked in the EF thread as well.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
EUA UG's showing "RU" class on app and web as of this AM, but "R" on paper BP's.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 6:41 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HongKonger
We still don't know. I've asked in the EF thread as well.
The EF silence on this is making me nervous.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:28 am

If you have DL-coded, VA-operated in paid S (Business), read carefully:

Delta is moving ahead to provide certain Phase 3 details, as travel agencies could begin seeing changes to PNRs booked in “S” Class for DL-marketed flights as early as February 12, 2013, for travel on/after March 6, 2013. Not only will changes be visible for DL-coded, Air France and KLM-operated flights, but similar changes will also be made for DL-coded, Virgin Australia and Aeromexico flights.

With this Phase, Delta will begin rebooking DL-marketed AF/KL/AM/VA- operated flights to the operating carrier AF/KL/AM/VA in the appropriate class of service for the operating carrier, based on fare class mapping.

·Delta will rebook the VA-operated flight(s) in I Class and cancel the DL-marketed flight(s).
Note that VA-coded does not earn any Medallion mileage bonus, so if you're a GM/PM with a paid S ticket that is currently DL-coded, VA-operated, you are about to miss out on ~15,000 RDMs as a result of this change.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 9:55 pm

BUMP. Check post #95. It might be smart to check G and Z availability one last time NOW before these inventory classes disappear.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:00 pm
Suspended

BUMP. Check post #95. It might be smart to check G and Z availability one last time NOW before these inventory classes disappear.
I bet implementation will be somewhat delayed.

Do we have a definitive answer on which code to use for miles/SWU inventory now, and whether EF will still be able to provide it?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by HongKonger
I bet implementation will be somewhat delayed.

Do we have a definitive answer on which code to use for miles/SWU inventory now, and whether EF will still be able to provide it?
Not as far as I know, although somewhere in this thread someone, perhaps the OP, stated the new inventory classes to replace Z and G, IIRC something like OP and RP respectively, but I don't know whether this has been confirmed yet.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 6:27 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
As of today, EF now showing RU and OU fare classes. So if you're checking for upgrade inventory for travel after 2/27, be sure to look for RU and OU, not G and Z fare classes.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 6:39 am

EF has been showing RU and OU for several weeks now. These replace V and X inventory buckets, for free elite upgrades only. The issue is the inventory buckets that replace G and Z for miles/SWU upgrades (from more expensive fares).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.