Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta, Air France and KLM Announce Final Steps toward Fare Class Alignment

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta, Air France and KLM Announce Final Steps toward Fare Class Alignment

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2013, 6:39 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
As of today, EF now showing RU and OU fare classes. So if you're checking for upgrade inventory for travel after 2/27, be sure to look for RU and OU, not G and Z fare classes.
Do we have to reset alerts set for Z or is EF switching the codes for us as of 2/27? I thought the EF rep said they would do this automatically, but not certain about this now.

Edited to say that I ran saved queries for SVO in April and ICN in Oct and EF changed Z to OP. That's the good news, the bad news still no such inventory for my dates of travel.

Edited again to say that I see that all my alerts for travel post 2/27 has been changed from Z to OP.

Last edited by Xeno; Feb 20, 2013 at 7:14 am
Old Feb 20, 2013, 8:00 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Xeno
As of today, EF now showing RU and OU fare classes. So if you're checking for upgrade inventory for travel after 2/27, be sure to look for RU and OU, not G and Z fare classes.
Do we have to reset alerts set for Z or is EF switching the codes for us as of 2/27? I thought the EF rep said they would do this automatically, but not certain about this now.

Edited to say that I ran saved queries for SVO in April and ICN in Oct and EF changed Z to OP. That's the good news, the bad news still no such inventory for my dates of travel.

Edited again to say that I see that all my alerts for travel post 2/27 has been changed from Z to OP.
Ooh ooh, me too! That answers our questions. Thanks EF!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Looks like RP/OP are the new codes for miles and SWU starting 2/27, at least according to EF.

I did some searches after the cut over date and confirmed that the inventory is showing up as RP/OP for domestic and intl flights.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rylan
Looks like RP/OP are the new codes for miles and SWU starting 2/27, at least according to EF.

I did some searches after the cut over date and confirmed that the inventory is showing up as RP/OP for domestic and intl flights.
I checked too and EF looks good. All of my saved searches have been converted to RP and OP inventory, which has not all been zeroed out as I had feared, but I didn't notice any new upgrade inventory added either.

The "upgrade inventories supported on EF" page now lists OU, RU, OP, RP, Z and G, although Z and G will disappear soon, IIRC February 27.

I wonder if tickets that were previously upgraded into Z and G by DL will all be reissued at some point.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Bump ... realignment is complete today. Rememorize your alphabet soup.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by amolkold
Bump ... realignment is complete today. Rememorize your alphabet soup.
In theory.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 5:26 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
We still have to know the old codes like proving that a ticket started as S but is now Z.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Theoretically it is happening today/tomorrow... and I'm sure it'll be a total cluster fck.

I don't see how it makes any sense to add a pile more letters and just confuse fare buckets even more. The net effect will probably be that it gets more difficult to book companion certs due to those buckets likely getting moved around as well. We already saw that skybonus certs are moving from A/H/U to G/Q/T for eligible buckets.

Who wants to bet that the new 'bottom of the barrel' X/V/E fares will have some extra restrictions. So G is the new A fare? Also seems like this will just compress the higher end fares such as B/M and push them up more to make room for the extra letters in between Y and E.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 9:35 am
Bzy

Programs: DL PM, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum
I'm confused, which seems par for the course.
I had to book, this morning, an unexpected trip from DTW -> LGA for tomorrow.
Expected fares to be pricey, and they were.
I was booked into the "S" fare class, which Delta seems to now call discounted economy but the booking shows that I will get the 50% MQM bonus, as if I were flying Y,B,M or J.
I just wonder whether I'm likely to get an upgrade but can't tell based on the fare class hierarchy.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bzy
I'm confused, which seems par for the course.
I had to book, this morning, an unexpected trip from DTW -> LGA for tomorrow.
Expected fares to be pricey, and they were.
I was booked into the "S" fare class, which Delta seems to now call discounted economy but the booking shows that I will get the 50% MQM bonus, as if I were flying Y,B,M or J.
I just wonder whether I'm likely to get an upgrade but can't tell based on the fare class hierarchy.
This is a relic of when S was discounted BE and earned 50% MQM bonus. It no longer earns the bonus. But take a screenshot and argue with DL if you don't get it, maybe you'll get it anyway. They are false advertising by not updating their web site to reflect the changes.

S is now right below M, a fairly high fare.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 6:54 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Dug up this thread to check MQM-earning on the new below-T fare classes. The only info I found was a prediction upthread that has (so far) not proven accurate. Here's a link to the current official chart:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ith-delta.html

The new below-T fare classes (X, V, and E) presently earn 100% MQM's and the ordinary Medallion bonuses.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 8:58 am
Suspended

Dug up this thread to check MQM-earning on the new below-T fare classes. The only info I found was a prediction upthread that has (so far) not proven accurate. Here's a link to the current official chart:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ith-delta.html

The new below-T fare classes (X, V, and E) presently earn 100% MQM's and the ordinary Medallion bonuses.
Correct. Just wait though, it's coming.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Who wants to bet that the new 'bottom of the barrel' X/V/E fares will have some extra restrictions. So G is the new A fare? Also seems like this will just compress the higher end fares such as B/M and push them up more to make room for the extra letters in between Y and E.
I'm willing to bet my theory of a couple of years ago is about to become true for 2014. Those "deeply discounted" fares (L, U, T, X, V, E) will earn limited to no MQM next year. Might be that Delta separates out X, V and E for 0-25% and L, U, T for 25-50% MQM. It's gonna happen. I just don't expect Delta to make the change mid-year.

The only other reason to re-align fare classes like that and add so many is to dedicate certain codes to different sales channels. DL can then monitor their sales channels more closely but if all of these letters are available online then that theory is debunked.

-RM
Old Mar 26, 2013, 9:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I'm willing to bet my theory of a couple of years ago is about to become true for 2014. Those "deeply discounted" fares (L, U, T, X, V, E) will earn limited to no MQM next year. Might be that Delta separates out X, V and E for 0-25% and L, U, T for 25-50% MQM. It's gonna happen. I just don't expect Delta to make the change mid-year.

The only other reason to re-align fare classes like that and add so many is to dedicate certain codes to different sales channels. DL can then monitor their sales channels more closely but if all of these letters are available online then that theory is debunked.

-RM
Not only reduced/no MQM but probably no checked bags or advance seat selection (the latter already being the case on domestic E fares and has showed up as a "glitch" on some international E fares) so they can then upsell these things.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by HongKonger
Not only reduced/no MQM but probably no checked bags or advance seat selection (the latter already being the case on domestic E fares and has showed up as a "glitch" on some international E fares) so they can then upsell these things.
Not only MQM but I expect RDM to be affected as well - we've seen this already with DL coded / VA metal.

My suspicion is that the lack of award availability on AF/KL is directly related to the imbalance in RDM accrual between SkyMiles and Flying Blue. DL is claiming more of the TATL JV revenue to cover its RDM liability vs. what AF/KL feels is appropriate. Thus, AF/KL holds back a proportionate amount of award seats to balance the equation (which we as a FT community have complained mightily about).

Aligning the fare classes was a necessary first step in this process, and I fully expect the MQM & RDM earnings to wind up looking like the FB chart: 100%/75%/50%/25% before too long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.