Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta, Air France and KLM Announce Final Steps toward Fare Class Alignment

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta, Air France and KLM Announce Final Steps toward Fare Class Alignment

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2013, 6:11 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
And I've just experienced this looking at upgrade availability for flights next week. Outbound on 1/29 see V and X, returning on 1/31 no V and no ability search for R or O.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 6:15 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by mtkeller
I'm not optimistic for the simple reason that R and O are also the award space buckets. The OP indicates that DL will be internally managing the inventory, so presumably there will be some of R/O space that's for upgrades and some of it that's for awards.
Thanks for jogging my memory...a DL agent did tell me last week that these were changing to two-letter codes to differentiate between award versus upgrades (see itsaboutthejourney's post below), so it would be say "RA" for awards and "RU" for upgrades (these are just examples, I don't know the exact double-letter codes). So again, if they would still allow EF to show upgrade inventory, then EF could hide "RA" but show "RU" just like they do today for V or X. EF should be able to handle two-letter inventory codes (they already do today with UA's "RN" upgrade inventory code, for example).

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I think the op missed some hidden classes, double letters I believe.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
Thanks for jogging my memory...a DL agent did tell me last week that these were changing to two-letter codes to differentiate between award versus upgrades (see itsaboutthejourney's post below), so it would be say "RA" for awards and "RU" for upgrades (these are just examples, I don't know the exact double-letter codes). So again, if they would still allow EF to show upgrade inventory, then EF could hide "RA" but show "RU" just like they do today for V or X. EF should be able to handle two-letter inventory codes (they already do today with UA's "RN" upgrade inventory code, for example).
That's my hope, but that would be a customer-friendly move. We all know that DL isn't well-known for those things. Although if EF is paying them for the access, maybe they'll decide they want to keep the revenue stream going.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 6:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
One implication seems to be that for upgrades, DL is combining the inventory classes and using a single inventory class for both upgrades with miles or SWUs and free elite upgrades. This would seem to mean that if an upgrade seat opens before the window, it necessarily goes first to a DM using miles or SWUs, then PM with miles or SWUs, then GM with miles, then FO with miles, then kettle with miles, and next to DM on a full Y fare, PM on full Y, etc. In the past, DL tended often to release V but not G, which favored full Y over upgrades with instruments (although the reverse could be true, depending on inventory management decisions). When we get to the window, again all of the SWU and mileage upgrades, including to lower level and nonelites, will *necessarily* take precedence over free elite upgrades. So SWUs will be more likely to clear domestic flights before the gate. This assumes currently observed upgrade inventory release practices as well as current rules for ordering upgrade priority.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:10 am
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

JV Fare Class Alignment

Good Morning FTers!

I noticed you picked up the communication from our Sales department, regarding the upcoming changes to our fare classes. I wanted to provide additional details around this change.

At Delta, we’ve been working with Air France and KLM to align fare classes for published and private fares. You’ll see a lot of this work rolling out during the next three months and when it’s all said and done, Delta’s fare classes will be more closely aligned with our JV partners.

The first phase of this project which will go into effect this week is the transition from V/X to RU/OU for Medallion Complimentary Upgrades. Though we don’t publish these fare classes externally, many of you know that we use V/X classes for Medallion Complimentary Upgrades. R and O classes are used for Award Tickets today but we already use dual character classes internally to further differentiate Award Ticket inventory. This is how we provide enhanced availability for Medallion members. When you redeem for an Award Ticket, Delta sees a dual character class while our customers may see R, O, or N class. The new fare classes for complimentary upgrades RU/OU will not impact your availability to clear for Medallion Complimentary Upgrades or your access to Award Ticket inventory because Complimentary Upgrades will not be tied to the same internal dual character classes that are used for Award tickets.

We wanted to alleviate any concerns around upgrades. We will continue to update you as we roll out the remaining phases of the project.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Wow big changes, would love to get EF and KVS to comment here when they can.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is this a joke? I thought that DL and AF/KLM weren't talking to each other.
Talking is one thing, cooperating is another. So far they are cooperating on fare class codes, but releasing O/Z is another thing entirely. That's what's important to me.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:18 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by DwayneSkyMiles
Good Morning FTers!

I noticed you picked up the communication from our Sales department, regarding the upcoming changes to our fare classes. I wanted to provide additional details around this change.

At Delta, we’ve been working with Air France and KLM to align fare classes for published and private fares. You’ll see a lot of this work rolling out during the next three months and when it’s all said and done, Delta’s fare classes will be more closely aligned with our JV partners.

The first phase of this project which will go into effect this week is the transition from V/X to RU/OU for Medallion Complimentary Upgrades. Though we don’t publish these fare classes externally, many of you know that we use V/X classes for Medallion Complimentary Upgrades. R and O classes are used for Award Tickets today but we already use dual character classes internally to further differentiate Award Ticket inventory. This is how we provide enhanced availability for Medallion members. When you redeem for an Award Ticket, Delta sees a dual character class while our customers may see R, O, or N class. The new fare classes for complimentary upgrades RU/OU will not impact your availability to clear for Medallion Complimentary Upgrades or your access to Award Ticket inventory because Complimentary Upgrades will not be tied to the same internal dual character classes that are used for Award tickets.

We wanted to alleviate any concerns around upgrades. We will continue to update you as we roll out the remaining phases of the project.
THANK YOU for this post, that was a big concern.

The other big concern is, will we be able to see all upgrade buckets (both miles/SWU and complementary medallion) on Expert Flyer?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DwayneSkyMiles
Good Morning FTers!

Thank you but I have several questions:

1. Will upgrades using miles or SWUs come from these same upgrade inventory classes, RU and OU, or will have different two-letter codes (Rsomething and Osomething) for upgrades using instruments? In other words, will the current distinction between V and G or X and Z be maintained?

2. Will we be able to search for DL inventory using paid services such as EF or KVS? Which one? Will they just show R and O, or the subclasses we really need such as RU and OU? Details please.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:54 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by amolkold
So does this mean that mileage upgrades will now trump complimentary upgrades at the gate? Same inventory bucket ...
I don't think either will 'trump'. I believe Delta has talked about the idea of us being able to do the mileage upgrades on our own, on the website, in advance of the flight. I have to believe that mileage upgrades will probably not be allowed within 24 hours of the flight, or something, just so the gate upgrade system is only for complimentary upgrades.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:13 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA (new!) Silver, AA Hater, Marriott Down to Gold, Hilton grunt
Skyteam Jingle

So to remember The final classes of service hierarchy will be:
J, C, D, I, Z, O*, F, P, A, G, R*, Y, B, M, S, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X, V, E - I came up with a jingle:

(J)ust (C)ause (D)elta (IZ) (O)perating (F)ull (P)assenger (A)irplanes, is a (G)ood (R)eason (Y)ou'er (B)roke (M)ore. (S)tay (H)ere and (Q)uestion (K)not how (L)ost (U)pgrades in (T)ravel are (X)tra (V)irtual (E)nhancements.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Thank you but I have several questions:

1. Will upgrades using miles or SWUs come from these same upgrade inventory classes, RU and OU, or will have different two-letter codes (Rsomething and Osomething) for upgrades using instruments? In other words, will the current distinction between V and G or X and Z be maintained?

2. Will we be able to search for DL inventory using paid services such as EF or KVS? Which one? Will they just show R and O, or the subclasses we really need such as RU and OU? Details please.

Thanks in advance.
Thanks for confirming this information.

I have the same questions as MSPeconomist, and hope that our representatives from DL, EF, or KVS may be able to provide an answer.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 9:00 am

Programs: DL PM
Wasn't 'R' the fare class for upgrades on NWA?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: DL DM/3MM, Lifetime DL SkyClub, BA Gold, Amex Centurion, AVIS Chairman's, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by mrn0363
Wasn't 'R' the fare class for upgrades on NWA?
Yes it was.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I didn't get the email reproduced in the OP so are there data somewhere about the actual fares for the new categories?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
So what are the new X/V classes added below LUT? A placeholder for low earning classes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.