Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

You wouldn't believe how many calls we've had!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

You wouldn't believe how many calls we've had!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:43 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by aviatorzz
Humans are not perfect, and sadly they are the ones who write the software.
Human managers also make the decision to affect mergers on the quick and cheap .
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL GM/HH Diamond/Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by DMIrishFlyer
2. 4 GB in RAM in any MAC is (IMO) roughly the equivalent of 16GB RAM in any windows box I've owned. The MAC and OSX make much more efficient use out of hardware than windows every will.
What???

Do you happen to work for Delta IT? That is the most ridiculous statement I have read in a long time.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 2:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I appreciate your lesson/reminder on technology and that it's not always perfect. However, it's been 3 years since we lost a website that was a lot closer to perfect than delta.dumb; nwa.com. Not only is it a shame that few parts of that feature set has been added to delta.dumb, it's equally disappointing and our trust in statements from the SkyMiles reps has been shaken in that they promised improvements in 2011. Things like PerkChoice have never come back. Search engine was supposed to have some fixes but its as frustrating to use as ever.

I know EOS will likely wipe out the award issue (from an IT standpoint), but again, Ned Walker/CorpGuys/gals and/or the SkyMiles team has botched a big opportunity to communicate and get us excited for a new booking system by dropping bits and updates leading up to it, generating buzz. Instead they appear to be taking take the old school approach: we'll likely get a press release posted hours before the new system is dropped in our laps.
I still don't understand the love for nwa.com. The problems that some are experiencing with this website, were my issues from nwa.com. I could never get a price to set straight and book. Everytime I went to pay for a ticket the website encountered an error and kicked me back to the homepage making it necessary to call nwres, which was always a pleasure , but still killed the reason for having a website up and available.

Dl.com was probably the best airline site for a while IMO, until the back end of nwa.com appeared and then everyone started having my issues. Before then, not once did I receive "that fare is no longer available" nor did I ever have any issues booking tickets. And any complicated mileage ticket that I needed booked I prefer calling over trusting a website to actually ticket it properly.

Do I think the new delta.com is gaudy? Sure. But their demographic they are trying to capture isn't us, it's the non-frequent fliers that they are trying to capture with their new design.

Also, when I was flying nwa, PerkChoice never made any sense to me, but neither did NWA's product as a whole.

One thing we can agree on is the lack of communication from DL. But as I am sitting in the SkyClub typing this, I inquired about the baggage changes at check-in and it seems that no one at the counter really knew the whole story about it. Seems like we aren't the only ones left in the dark.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Dl.com was probably the best airline site for a while IMO, until the back end of nwa.com appeared and then everyone started having my issues. Before then, not once did I receive "that fare is no longer available" nor did I ever have any issues booking tickets. And any complicated mileage ticket that I needed booked I prefer calling over trusting a website to actually ticket it properly.
I respect your opinion, but the above makes me laugh. I flew DL well before NW became even a milage partner and using PMDL delta.dumb was like going back to 1972. You couldn't even enter a partner FF # in a reservation online. You couldn't even see an AF PNR on delta.dumb (then again, since we lost nwa.com neither can we.)

Also, when I was flying nwa, PerkChoice never made any sense to me, but neither did NWA's product as a whole.
It was pretty simple, there were 4 columns next to each flight:
1 - Paid Y fare
2 - Paid J fare
3 - Award Y avail
4 - Award J avail

You could mix and match with each direction, pretty simple and pretty powerful tool. Of course WorldPerks allowed earning miles and domestic upgrades on the paid segment. It helped a LOT with award availability because it calculated based on one way fares, instead of returning no options at all the ones avail were clickable.

If I had to name the #1 loss from the demise of the WorldPerks program it's PerkChoice.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sethb
You owned a store. If you sold 1000 computers and 100 blue-screened, you saw those 100. That's still 90% working fine.

Your Apple experience is one computer working fine. That's nowhere near statistically significant.
I dealt with a lot more than 1000 computers over 10 years. A LOT MORE. I probably saw 100 Blue Screens of Death per WEEK on our computers and on our customers'. Maddening.

As for the question of what I'd do if I wanted more RAM in my Macbook, I'd take the thousands of hours NOT screwing with Windows/DOS, spend them earning money doing something productive, and buy the most expensive desktop in the history of the world.

I'd still come out way ahead.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 5:21 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
I still don't understand the love for nwa.com.
Could one assume that you don't book award travel that involves both SkyTeam partners and foreign travel? Or if you do, it's via the telephone.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I still don't understand the love for nwa.com. The problems that some are experiencing with this website, were my issues from nwa.com. I could never get a price to set straight and book. Everytime I went to pay for a ticket the website encountered an error and kicked me back to the homepage making it necessary to call nwres, which was always a pleasure , but still killed the reason for having a website up and available.

Do I think the new delta.com is gaudy? Sure. But their demographic they are trying to capture isn't us, it's the non-frequent fliers that they are trying to capture with their new design.

One thing we can agree on is the lack of communication from DL. But as I am sitting in the SkyClub typing this, I inquired about the baggage changes at check-in and it seems that no one at the counter really knew the whole story about it. Seems like we aren't the only ones left in the dark.
Seriously? Really?

1. Can search partners, lots of them. And it works.
2. Working award calendar, with lots and lots of low
3. Perkchoice, way superior to DL's solution for cash plus miles. And you can earn EQM on paid portion
4. 24 hour fly now, better than this 3 hour SDC silly-ness
5. Free standby for everyone, done online. And when you look at your options you don't lose your upgrades

Oh, and did I mention the fact that nwa.com didn't have "Oops let's try that again", "An unexpected error has occurred", or "Sorry, your flight just sold out." Not to mention the ridiculousness of how availability disappears as your flip back and forth month to month etc.

My posts here isn't to whine about bringing back nwa, but bringing back working IT.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kitkat77
I have a question that's likely only peripherally related to this thread, and if I need to be redirected somewhere else, someone please do so!

One of my biggest beefs is that I can either search by price OR schedule but not both. I'm willing to pay more for a better schedule (and my company's policy supports it), but not double. It seems like the search engine is optimized to only show me certain flights/fares when I choose price, and schedule doesn't have fares until I'm done choosing.

Therefore, I spend a lot of time going back and forth choosing different schedules, and sometimes the price is equal or even less than the "price" based search will show me.

The new site, at least for me, is not very fast (then again neither was the old) so this wastes a lot of time.

Is there a reason for this? Why can't they just show you all available flights and associated fares?

Read Cheryl from Deltas post below from this link (post 246) for more info on searching by both schedule and price..for award tickets
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...l#post16323244

Thank you so much for all the feedback. If I may, I’d like to cut to the chase and jump right into some of BenA’s list.

• Useless multi-city search tool
We understand your frustration, but let me explain a bit more about the situation. When displaying by price/miles there are rules to that we need to follow. For example, let’s say I have a circle trip ATL-MSP; MSP-DEN; DEN-ATL and with the first leg we return a total price with flights. Once you’ve chosen the first leg and your price point, the second leg of your trip takes into consideration what was chosen for leg one’s price and only returns flights that fall within that price, when the third leg is displayed, there may only be one or two flights that are combinable and applicable to the price chosen with leg one. The reason we return a ‘schedule’ set of flights is to offer all flights and let you pick and choose, then we present the price based on your choices. It’s a debatable subject and one that we’ve had many times internally.

Cheryl_DeltaOnline
Delta eCommerce Ambassador
Old Jan 18, 2013, 1:06 pm

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by izmatron
What???

Do you happen to work for Delta IT? That is the most ridiculous statement I have read in a long time.
Believe it. It's true. Spaghetti code and lack of hardware standards versus true hardware/software integration. FWIW, I worked in the IT field for 12 years.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 1:08 pm

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by mnredfox
My posts here isn't to whine about bringing back nwa, but bringing back working IT.
+1^
And don't forget the ability to booked upgrade awards by yourself and miles plus cash bookings.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 12:34 pm

seat change *is* successful, but not visible online

The Delta site *will* actually successfully change your seat, even though it will not provide a confirmation of the change. You will instead find that it has given you the right seat upon checking in.

(For me, this was only a problem on the Alaska Airlines codeshare section of my flight, which makes me think it's a problem with Alaska instead. That section also did not allow online check-in *or* check-in at a Delta kiosk, but I was able to check in at an Alaska Airlines kiosk.)
Old Oct 7, 2013, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by aaronmk0
The Delta site *will* actually successfully change your seat, even though it will not provide a confirmation of the change. You will instead find that it has given you the right seat upon checking in.

(For me, this was only a problem on the Alaska Airlines codeshare section of my flight, which makes me think it's a problem with Alaska instead. That section also did not allow online check-in *or* check-in at a Delta kiosk, but I was able to check in at an Alaska Airlines kiosk.)
DL and AS, KL, AF, AZ etc don't show seats on each other's metal properly. Always confirm with the operating carrier.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 3:10 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by CTJoyce
1: I am a Systems administrator. I work in IT. I manage servers, keep the network running, and am associated with the help desk that you call when you can't figure out how to setup a printer. DEVELOPERS are NOT IT. Don't you lump good people like Sysadmins, network engineers, and security professionals in with developers, DBAs, and worst of all web admins.
It would be interesting to know what DBAs and developers think of sys admins. (I do know the answer...)
Old Oct 8, 2013, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I'd love to hear how Bob Kupbens spins things when told of this thread...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.