Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

You wouldn't believe how many calls we've had!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

You wouldn't believe how many calls we've had!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2013, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by mridley2
Not really. PC's still sell about 15x-20x more frequently than macs. Nice try though.

I think we can all agree some DL IT folks need the pink slip but lack of support for Mac is not anyone's primary concern. Sorry

Long Live PC!!!
Who's talking about Mac's? Apple makes Ipad, Ipad2, New Ipad, Mini Ipad, iPhone3, 4, 4s, 5. I think all of these use some sort of Safari browser, I know my iPad2 does. Mobile computing is the future.

Oh, I got tons of errors on my Windows7, too.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 9:17 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Buckshot
Well, if you want a functional website just pay for it.
In 2016, some n00b will post a thread in Travelbuzz entitled, 'What does WAFWJPFI mean? I see that acronym everywhere on FT!'

And dozens of people will reply, linking to this epic post.

History. We are witnessing it.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by squatch
Safari (all platforms) uses WebKit to render pages, as does Chrome (all platforms)

there is no such thing as 'optimized for Safari'. 'optimized' for a certain browser is 10-years-ago thinking.
No, now that is not at all true. I find it every day still some sites work better with a given browser and i have to switch between them. It can be MS, fire fox, google apple you name it some sites just work better on a given browser.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:37 pm

Programs: DL DM/3MM, Lifetime DL SkyClub, BA Gold, Amex Centurion, AVIS Chairman's, Hertz Platinum
To be honest, Delta.com is a complete joke. I'm so tired of how terrible Delta's IT is. Man, It kills me to think that 10 years ago I could click "Search for mileage upgrade" on NWA.com and I could buy a ticket and have the miles deducted and be placed in the Business class cabin all by myself, without having to use a third party site to find the upgrade space and then call and talk to someone who may or may not know how to process the upgrade correctly. I remember when the merger happened that that was "in the works" well I'm tired of waiting Delta. I'm pretty sure that was supposed to happen in 2011. Well so much for the timeline. Oh yeah and the Passbook support for the iPhone OS 6, what happened to that? I think they need to fire the entire IT dept and start from scratch, clearly they have no idea what they're doing whatsoever. It took me 20 minutes the other day to find my eCertificates/credits--- what a joke!
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:23 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
MY OPINION - FIRE the VP of IT.
Bob Kupbens Vice-President, eCommerce, for Delta.

Bob (1) "it's not working like we want"; (2) "we know it"; and (3) "we're working on it".

Oh. Wait. Those were his comments back in October 2010 regarding the Award booking engine on DL.dum
Old Jan 10, 2013, 3:02 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExP
Did you ask for any Skypesos

Seriously ... I use both PCs and Macs. Frankly ... if you want a web browser that is compartible with most of the net today (not 5 years ago) ... but today ... just use Google Chrome. It is available for PCs and Macs.

Also a small side note -- the general rendering engine is the same for Chrome and Safari ... based on WebKit ... but you'll find some differences. Overall though ... if you ever have a problem with one web browser (i.e. Safari) just open up Chrome.

The argument of PC vs Mac in my opinion isn't needed and no longer makes any sense in the larger picture.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 3:17 am
Suspended

Programs: DM
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Ah, but if only we had the old NWA.com website, where stuff worked pretty good.
Theresa Wise is from NWA, and proves time and time again that she should be kept far far away from product roll outs.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 7:08 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by CTJoyce
Few things.

1: I am a Systems administrator. I work in IT. I manage servers, keep the network running, and am associated with the help desk that you call when you can't figure out how to setup a printer. DEVELOPERS are NOT IT. Don't you lump good people like Sysadmins, network engineers, and security professionals in with developers, DBAs, and worst of all web admins.

3: "Just going back to the old one" isn't as easy as it sounds.
I am a developer with probably 12 years experience in developing web applications, 16 years as a programmer. I've worked on a few major applications, including online banking for a top-10 bank.

That being said, I find the new delta.com is not optimized for slow networks in the slightest, and I could even tell you (within a matter of degree) why based on the behavior I see. It's not even bad coding, per se, it's just prioritizing glitz over functionality.

To be fair, a lot of companies have moved this way. It particularly sucks when you travel and are subject to hotel, airport, or company guest wi-fi.

Also, you are 110% correct that "going back to the old one" sounds waaaaaaaay easier than it actually would be to do so.

Originally Posted by rajsh
Did you ask for any Skypesos

Seriously ... I use both PCs and Macs. Frankly ... if you want a web browser that is compartible with most of the net today (not 5 years ago) ... but today ... just use Google Chrome. It is available for PCs and Macs.

Also a small side note -- the general rendering engine is the same for Chrome and Safari ... based on WebKit ... but you'll find some differences. Overall though ... if you ever have a problem with one web browser (i.e. Safari) just open up Chrome.

The argument of PC vs Mac in my opinion isn't needed and no longer makes any sense in the larger picture.
I also use a PC with Chrome.

The new delta.com is still slow as heck for me. However, I don't blame it on my computer or the browser I use - I blame it on network latency and the site's inability to respond to that.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 7:39 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Simply because some folks are not having any difficulties doesn't mean there aren't significant issues with DL.com. To this day I can't change a seat on the website after receiving an upgrade, regardless of machine or browser. Others say they have no such problem. Does that mean it isn't an issue?

Oh, and IBTL.....
Old Jan 10, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
While I recognize that the website is not working for everyone, my experience over the past several days is different. For what it is worth, I also use Chrome.

I booked a flight from San Diego to New Orleans 2 days ago and not only did I have zero problems booking that flight, it also let me choose my EC seats before I purchased (unlike last month when I had to choose non EC seats, purchase the ticket, then go back to upgrade to EC).

I did not like the initial roll out and don't care for the move to passwords over pins (which I have yet to do) but IMO, it is improving. YMMV

I don't take people noting they had no problems as anything other than data points and have been quite surprised at the tone taken against them. Of course this is the DL forum so perhaps I shouldn't be.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 9:05 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA (new!) Silver, AA Hater, Marriott Down to Gold, Hilton grunt
Just some thoughts

grahampros

"No, now that is not at all true. I find it every day still some sites work better with a given browser and i have to switch between them. It can be MS, fire fox, google apple you name it some sites just work better on a given browser."

Totally agree

jacksafar

"To be honest, Delta.com is a complete joke. I'm so tired of how terrible Delta's IT is. Man, It kills me to think that 10 years ago I could click "Search for mileage upgrade" on NWA.com and I could buy a ticket and have the miles deducted and be placed in the Business class cabin all by myself, without having to use a third party site to find the upgrade space and then call and talk to someone who may or may not know how to process the upgrade correctly. I remember when the merger happened that that was "in the works" well I'm tired of waiting Delta. I'm pretty sure that was supposed to happen in 2011. Well so much for the timeline. Oh yeah and the Passbook support for the iPhone OS 6, what happened to that? I think they need to fire the entire IT dept and start from scratch, clearly they have no idea what they're doing whatsoever. It took me 20 minutes the other day to find my eCertificates/credits--- what a joke!"

I think what we have here is a lack of talent in the User Experience (UX) and User Interface (UI) aspects of the design. This model seems to be pushed by graphics designers. They make things look pretty (or at least their perception of pretty) but comments about not finding what you want are truly telling. A good UX design will look at work flows and what the user expects (in general) to be able to do from any point in the site. Information and options will be presented that conform to those expectations. This is determined by working with end users and test users outside of the organization to get unbiased feedback. Suggest options, get feedback, modify options, get feedback, etc.

User interface gurus will take that page and organize it to make it easy to use and navigate. Work with cross platform stability issues and render versions for mobile etc. that may be modifications of layout but hopefully not significant changes in options and functionality.

Here come the designers. Now let them make the pages pretty. Sometimes, this will point out issues like too little space to fit all the UX & UI items etc. UX guys may mention that high def. graphics are taking too long to load so design may need to reduce resolution etc.

After all this and legacy systems guys and gals that tie into the site handled by other groups you can set a team of basic web programmers to assemble and test, fix, test, and fix. Did I mention testing? Yea, that's important.

kitkat77

"That being said, I find the new delta.com is not optimized for slow networks in the slightest, and I could even tell you (within a matter of degree) why based on the behavior I see. It's not even bad coding, per se, it's just prioritizing glitz over functionality.

To be fair, a lot of companies have moved this way. It particularly sucks when you travel and are subject to hotel, airport, or company guest wi-fi."

I totally agree and that is why the team listed above should be deployed. What we have here is design and build without those pesky middle guys that worry about the whole user experience and interface. Must be considered an unnecessary customer relationship expenditure.

Just my $0.02
Old Jan 10, 2013, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by OnTimePlease

A good UX design will look at work flows and what the user expects (in general) to be able to do from any point in the site. Information and options will be presented that conform to those expectations. This is determined by working with end users and test users outside of the organization to get unbiased feedback. Suggest options, get feedback, modify options, get feedback, etc.

The problem is that DL management have decided to work with test users (us), but only after rolling out the broken system.

The have done this frequently enough to demonstrate that this has become their paradigm.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: Delta Gold
I've been frustrated as well trying to purchase tickets for work. I've got a MacBook, desktop PC, and iPad and yesterday despite five or six browsers to choose from, I couldn't get any of them to work. And I'm so tired of having to log in, make new security questions each time, and then not have forms populate as before when purchasing tickets, and then not be able to actually make the purchase.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 9:22 am

i am not a fan of the new website. That being said calling for people to be fired is making a mountain out of a mole hill. I guess some folks here have such lives where something such as not being able to look at your ticket online causes them to go into meltdown.

1st world problems for sure
Old Jan 10, 2013, 9:45 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Preisdents Club, Marriott Platinum
Has anyone experienced a K or H fare ticket that shows as 'upgrade not eligible' even when the 'Request Upgrade' box is checked when searching? This is an enhancement that i'm not okay with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.