Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

You wouldn't believe how many calls we've had!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

You wouldn't believe how many calls we've had!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
I think it's simple. If you want a good website, you should buy it! WGWBI? Or something like that.

To the OP, you started a thread where you basically asked a question to the effectiveness and userfriendly-ness of delta.com. You are going to get your die-hard I hate Delta folks coming out and bashing it, others who will come to the rescue of Delta and say they love it (ok not on this forum), but you are going to get those, like myself and a few others, who have had zero issue with the website and say so.

You gave your opinion, in fact in ALL CAPS. Yet when someone voices just a simple fact, you question their intelligence and logic, or outright call them selfish.

On my flight to BOS the other day, this guy was .....ing and complaining after an announcement that GoGo was inoperative. Don't get me wrong, it's a pain in the ... when it doesn't work as I can't get nearly as much done as needed. But it cracked me up how much the world owed this guy because there wasn't internet on the aircraft for a two hour flight. Of which didn't exist last year and still doesn't exist on half of the airlines in the US.

For those of you .....ing and complaining about how only 24 hours after an updated website appears how many problems exist, you really have no idea what it takes to get a website running for the vast number of platforms on a multi-national scale. Instead of complaining, which I know everyone here loves to do (yes including me!), try sending in a note to their IT. Instead of stating "your website sucks and your award calendar needs to be shot", give them helpful facts and screenshots. That will actually give them something to go off of, as opposed to just guessing what the problem might actually be.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by kitkat77
I have a question that's likely only peripherally related to this thread, and if I need to be redirected somewhere else, someone please do so!

One of my biggest beefs is that I can either search by price OR schedule but not both. I'm willing to pay more for a better schedule (and my company's policy supports it), but not double. It seems like the search engine is optimized to only show me certain flights/fares when I choose price, and schedule doesn't have fares until I'm done choosing.

Therefore, I spend a lot of time going back and forth choosing different schedules, and sometimes the price is equal or even less than the "price" based search will show me.

The new site, at least for me, is not very fast (then again neither was the old) so this wastes a lot of time.

Is there a reason for this? Why can't they just show you all available flights and associated fares?
And I am frustrated by the fact that I can't arrange my books on the shelf by height and by color simultaneously.

Seriously, though, I find it bemusing that, when you search by schedule, you lose so much information about the flight details.

Try searching for ATL to CDG, both by price and by schedule and look at how little info you get about DL 28 when you search by schedule.

Solving this can't be any more difficult that the IT equivalent of walking and chewing gum at the same time.

But, perhaps, they have all the good programmers in a room working on fixing the award calendar.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I used to own a computer store and was a PC guy. Have seen more "Blue Screens of Death" than I can count and spent thousands of hours messing with Windows, drivers, memory issues, etc. Have had a Mac for a year, which I leave on 24/7, and it has not crashed once.
How'd it go last time you tried to upgrade the RAM on your MacBook air?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aviatorzz
On my flight to BOS the other day, this guy was .....ing and complaining after an announcement that GoGo was inoperative. Don't get me wrong, it's a pain in the ... when it doesn't work as I can't get nearly as much done as needed. But it cracked me up how much the world owed this guy because there wasn't internet on the aircraft for a two hour flight. Of which didn't exist last year and still doesn't exist on half of the airlines in the US.

[I, too, have trouble understanding the compelling, sometimes overwhelming, desire others have not to be away from the internet for 2 hours. That said, advertising is intended to create expectations. Often, the issue is whether advertising and the created expectations outpace reality by too great a margin.]

For those of you .....ing and complaining about how only 24 hours after an updated website appears how many problems exist [it has been over two months now...], you really have no idea what it takes to get a website running for the vast number of platforms on a multi-national scale. Instead of complaining, which I know everyone here loves to do (yes including me!), try sending in a note to their IT. Instead of stating "your website sucks and your award calendar needs to be shot", [with the award calendar, it has been multiple years now...]give them helpful facts and screenshots. That will actually give them something to go off of, as opposed to just guessing what the problem might actually be.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by javabytes
Is this where this thread is heading:

http://dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000...trip.print.gif

[deleted]

Last edited by StayingHomeIsBetter; Jan 13, 2013 at 11:21 am Reason: Found a way to display the cartoon without the associated marketing detail
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:23 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
And I am frustrated by the fact that I can't arrange my books on the shelf by height and by color simultaneously.

Seriously, though, I find it bemusing that, when you search by schedule, you lose so much information about the flight details.

Try searching for ATL to CDG, both by price and by schedule and look at how little info you get about DL 28 when you search by schedule.

Solving this can't be any more difficult that the IT equivalent of walking and chewing gum at the same time.

But, perhaps, they have all the good programmers in a room working on fixing the award calendar.
Haha!

I am a programmer and I do work on web applications, and have for over 12 years.

There's some reason they do this, and it's likely due to it being even slower if they were to show you pricing along with the schedules. The backend system likely stores it in some esoteric hard-to-find way, or something to do with how they decide pricing based on combing outbound/inbound.

Other sites don't seem to have this problem, but some (AirCanada, Southwest) have the 2 one-ways = RT approach which likely makes this tons easier.

It still ticks me off!!

Although, on a more serious note, I also think it may lose them some revenue. For example, I've searched on price and found $360 low, $600 high fares, 6-8 total. When I do schedule, I'll find a $450 fare that I would totally choose over the $360, but I'm not aware it exists unless I take the time to deal with the schedule screens, and $600 is outside company policy.

I'll have to try kayak.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
your award calendar needs to be shot", [with the award calendar, it has been multiple years now...
Funny thing is, I agree with you on that one. However, for the few times a year I utilize the award calendar, I never usually have an issue and when I do, I screen cap it, email it to their IT CS folks, and within a matter of hours, my ticket is issued and the issue is resolved.

But the whole point of my first post was that we, as a society and not just on FT, place too much emphasis on technology. I remember when the only way to book a ticket was to head to a TA or call their reservation numbers with plenty of time to spare and get physical tickets mailed to our house. Or if it was close-in ticketing, just head to the airport.

Getting a hold of someone meant calling someone's home and/or work and hoping they were there. And that was the way it was for most of the 1900s. Someone created a pager, where you could call someone and when they finally arrived at either a payphone or back to a landline, they could return your phone call.

10-12 years ago, I could still get a cheaper laptop for work that was black and white. The thing still weighed 10 lbs and was a pain to carry around. That was for a 10-12 inch screen.

All of a sudden, within the last 10-15 years, we went from what we called excellent technology to what we have today. I can watch a movie or read a book plus surf the web, listen to music, check-in for a flight, book a hotel, pay my bills, kill green pigs with suicidal birds, look up my portfolio and make any necessary changes to where my money is being allocated, read a newspaper, finish responding to all my emails, get coupons collected for the following day's grocery list, and follow my flight all within a two hour flight from a single piece of equipment.

Technology is absolutely incredible and unless you (generic you) take a step back and just smell the roses so to speak, you will be continuously frustrated because humans are the ones who create the software. Humans are not perfect, and sadly they are the ones who write the software. Chill out, help your fellow human being, and just stop being self-involved to see things around you:

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/mus...nist_metro.htm
Old Jan 13, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Haha!

I am a programmer and I do work on web applications, and have for over 12 years.

There's some reason they do this, and it's likely due to it being even slower if they were to show you pricing along with the schedules.
Overall I am not sure how the website could be slower. Not sure if it is all the graphics or backend searches, but it is becoming painfully slow. I guess the goal is to be on par with the Hilton website.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 8:07 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Haha!

There's some reason they do this, and it's likely due to it being even slower if they were to show you pricing along with the schedules. The backend system likely stores it in some esoteric hard-to-find way, or something to do with how they decide pricing based on combing outbound/inbound.

Other sites don't seem to have this problem, but some (AirCanada, Southwest) have the 2 one-ways = RT approach which likely makes this tons easier.
It occurs to me that it is the antiquated Delta back-end systems and Delta managements attempt to put a veneer of modernity with the front-end . Let t**d polishing continue.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
For those of you .....ing and complaining about how only 24 hours after an updated website appears how many problems exist, you really have no idea what it takes to get a website running for the vast number of platforms on a multi-national scale. Instead of complaining, which I know everyone here loves to do (yes including me!), try sending in a note to their IT. Instead of stating "your website sucks and your award calendar needs to be shot", give them helpful facts and screenshots. That will actually give them something to go off of, as opposed to just guessing what the problem might actually be.

But the whole point of my first post was that we, as a society and not just on FT, place too much emphasis on technology....

Technology is absolutely incredible and unless you (generic you) take a step back and just smell the roses so to speak, you will be continuously frustrated because humans are the ones who create the software. Humans are not perfect, and sadly they are the ones who write the software. Chill out, help your fellow human being, and just stop being self-involved to see things around you:
I appreciate your lesson/reminder on technology and that it's not always perfect. However, it's been 3 years since we lost a website that was a lot closer to perfect than delta.dumb; nwa.com. Not only is it a shame that few parts of that feature set has been added to delta.dumb, it's equally disappointing and our trust in statements from the SkyMiles reps has been shaken in that they promised improvements in 2011. Things like PerkChoice have never come back. Search engine was supposed to have some fixes but its as frustrating to use as ever.

I know EOS will likely wipe out the award issue (from an IT standpoint), but again, Ned Walker/CorpGuys/gals and/or the SkyMiles team has botched a big opportunity to communicate and get us excited for a new booking system by dropping bits and updates leading up to it, generating buzz. Instead they appear to be taking take the old school approach: we'll likely get a press release posted hours before the new system is dropped in our laps.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 6:56 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott. Hilton Diamond, Hertz something...
Originally Posted by javabytes
I have a MacBook Air, 4GB RAM and you know 2 crazy things?

1. Before I bought it I KNEW I couldn't upgrade the RAM so it wasn't a buying decision... knowing that I never tried to upgrade the RAM (so it worked out fine for me )
2. 4 GB in RAM in any MAC is (IMO) roughly the equivalent of 16GB RAM in any windows box I've owned. The MAC and OSX make much more efficient use out of hardware than windows every will.

And honestly I will debate the merits of either ecosystem ALL day long and can see the arguments on both sides BUT when it comes to pure hardware and software at this point in time Apple devices, OSX and IOS are far and away the better option. I have a MacBook PRO at work that boots in 45 seconds (on a SATA drive) and has never once forced me to reboot. The MacBook Air i use at home boots in 9 seconds flat (yes it has an SSD) and is the fastest, slickest, easiest laptop I have ever used.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by troyintn
Overall I am not sure how the website could be slower. Not sure if it is all the graphics or backend searches, but it is becoming painfully slow. I guess the goal is to be on par with the Hilton website.
I haven't found the Hilton website bad at all, even when doing weird searches (e.g. 8-night stay, 4 nights paid and 4 on points; what's the cheapest combination available, using either or both of 2 hotels but not moving more than once?)
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I used to own a computer store and was a PC guy. Have seen more "Blue Screens of Death" than I can count and spent thousands of hours messing with Windows, drivers, memory issues, etc. Have had a Mac for a year, which I leave on 24/7, and it has not crashed once.
You owned a store. If you sold 1000 computers and 100 blue-screened, you saw those 100. That's still 90% working fine.

Your Apple experience is one computer working fine. That's nowhere near statistically significant.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
I use a Mac at work and a PC at home.

Delta.com does not work on either.

I've also tried different browsers. I've tried wired, wireless, hotel networks, etc.

I am not an IT geek and all the comments around different operating systems, browsers, etc. are ridiculous - a company as big as DL should have a functioning website that operates on all of the above, and no customer should have to figure which variation actually works.

I had a conversation with a DM agent today and I can tell you they are equally as frustrated.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL EOS...
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
I use a Mac at work and a PC at home.

Delta.com does not work on either.

I've also tried different browsers. I've tried wired, wireless, hotel networks, etc.

I am not an IT geek and all the comments around different operating systems, browsers, etc. are ridiculous - a company as big as DL should have a functioning website that operates on all of the above, and no customer should have to figure which variation actually works.

I had a conversation with a DM agent today and I can tell you they are equally as frustrated.
There was a problem a few months ago where my NYC Time Warner couldn't/wouldn't connect to DL.com. Funny thing, when I used 3G mobile data it worked fine. Another oddity, once I got out of NYC into CA Time Warner ISP worked fine.

Some techs thought it might be a DNS issue or something in/around Atlanta only affecting certain geographic areas?

Not really sure, I posted here about it, chat with TW techs, DL CSR's, very frustrating but it eventually sorted out on it's own.

FWIW, I can access the site on both Mac/PC. I prefer the Mac and merely chuckle about the folks who attempt to bash Apple. For my purposes, their stuff works and in most cases MS doesn't.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.