Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

You wouldn't believe how many calls we've had!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

You wouldn't believe how many calls we've had!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Just logged in, no problems.
so, because it worked for you that means it's functioning correctly for all users, all browsers, all platforms and all operating systems performing all critical functions???

well then, call off the delta IT geeks, there seems to be NO PROBLEM.

Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL DM
The new website is an abomination. People should lose their jobs for that mess.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by squatch
so, because it worked for you that means it's functioning correctly for all users, all browsers, all platforms and all operating systems performing all critical functions???

well then, call off the delta IT geeks, there seems to be NO PROBLEM.

Becareful, you will get told off for being smart, logical and not selfish

Intelligence is not a common trait tonight
Old Jan 9, 2013, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bubbashow
Bubba and I agree

WOW

Old Jan 9, 2013, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
Bubba and I agree

WOW

Steve...I knew there would come a day :-)
Old Jan 9, 2013, 7:18 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Bubba and I agree
Now THERE'S something you don't hear every day!!!
Old Jan 9, 2013, 7:28 pm

You guys are aware that the CIO at Delta Air Lines is the CIO from Northwest, right? Theresa Wise http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=18&item=94
Old Jan 9, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
If the VP of IT of Delta did not realize that Apple outsold any other computer manufacturer in 2012 then I'm right he or she should be fired.
Not really. PC's still sell about 15x-20x more frequently than macs. Nice try though.

I think we can all agree some DL IT folks need the pink slip but lack of support for Mac is not anyone's primary concern. Sorry

Long Live PC!!!
Old Jan 9, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Well, if you want a functional website just pay for it.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Second choice - How about an apology from Delta. It is not too much to ask.
Did the woman you spoke with not apologize?

You're not going to get a full page spread in the Times. Just not gonna happen, nor is it necessary.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 7:53 pm

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
I too have had absolutely no problems with delta.com. Feel free to call me selfish, etc. Perhaps the problem is with the user, and perhaps the DL agent told the user something to pacify him. Oh, and congratulations on purchasing a $7,000 one way ticket. You are such a big spender.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:03 pm

Programs: Delta: Gold, Marriott: Silver
Few things.

1: I am a Systems administrator. I work in IT. I manage servers, keep the network running, and am associated with the help desk that you call when you can't figure out how to setup a printer. DEVELOPERS are NOT IT. Don't you lump good people like Sysadmins, network engineers, and security professionals in with developers, DBAs, and worst of all web admins.

2: I am writing this from my Macbook running OS X 10.8.2 and just used Safari 6.0.2 x64 to log into delta.com with no issues both via password and PIN. I also was able to book two different flights tonight while using safari with no issues. I understand that this doesn't reflect all experiences of all users, however saying "Delta's new site will not work at all on a Mac computer" isn't a correct statement. In fact if that were correct all webkit browsers shouldn't work, meaning Safari and Chrome on all platforms should be having the same issues. While we are on that topic, yes Apple had the largest individual OEM sales of computer makers in 2012. Too bad that everyone else on that list all manufacture windows PCs and all their sales combined were about 30x that of apple.

3: "Just going back to the old one" isn't as easy as it sounds. Firstly you would need to bring the front and back end web servers online, reconfigure load balancers, edit DNS records to point to the new site IPs, reconfigure firewall rules, etc etc etc. It could be faster than just fixing the current problems (though doubtful if my assumptions about Delta's change management are correct), however Delta has committed itself to the new site and it isn't likely that they are going to bring the old one back. Are a lot of people calling the res lines because they can't book tickets or manage their account online? Sure, however what is the call volume compared to pre site change (give me actual numbers not it feels like more). Not to mention Delta pays a lot of people to sit in call centers and take calls to manage your account, book travel, and help you with any questions you have. It is a resource that is now getting more use and I doubt anyone at delta is complaining that they are getting more bang for their buck out of the call centers while they sort out the website.

So yes, this is painful, yes it is change and that scares people. But the reality is, when you have a massive site redesign no QA department in the world can test for every contingency. No admin can accurately predict resource load until the site / app is in production (trust me even using past data and best practices to come up with a number and then padding that number by 10% we usually get it wrong the first time and end up needing to add resources). No one needs to be fired over this, we as the end user just need to give them more time to sort everything out. The other thing we do not know that could be complicating things further is: did Delta build this site on their own or was it a 3rd party? If they built it on their own they could have a very small dev department who is completely overworked and the site is a relatively low priority for them compared to other things. If a 3rd party built the site and then handed them the code, now you have guys reverse engineering everything every time they have to go solve a problem because they weren't the ones who wrote it which adds time to resolution. If a 3rd party built it, and a 3rd party is managing it you could have the same mess because the guy who built it isn't the same guy doing long term support, not to mention long term support guy has 10 other sites that he has to manage all with the same number of problems and therefore has to balance his time between projects. I guess it is just because I work in IT, and I understand how these projects go and therefore have a lot of patience for this stuff but seriously the over reaction to this change by some just makes me giggle.

Last edited by CTJoyce; Jan 9, 2013 at 8:09 pm
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:10 pm

I think CTJoyce brings up a good point. Remember what happened last time DL messed with DNS servers? Half the country lost access to the site...
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by ctjoyce

2: I am writing this from my macbook running os x 10.8.2 and just used safari 6.0.2 x64 to log into delta.com with no issues both via password and pin. I also was able to book two different flights tonight while using safari with no issues. I understand that this doesn't reflect all experiences of all users, however saying "delta's new site will not work at all on a mac computer" isn't a correct statement. In fact if that were correct all webkit browsers shouldn't work, meaning safari and chrome on all platforms should be having the same issues. While we are on that topic, yes apple had the largest individual oem sales of computer makers in 2012. Too bad that everyone else on that list all manufacture windows pcs and all their sales combined were about 30x that of apple.
don't you understand that the op doesn't want to hear about anyone else's experiences?! Dykwia?!
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:52 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by stils
don't you understand that the op doesn't want to hear about anyone else's experiences?! Dykwia?!
+1.

OP is much more important than the rest of us!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.