Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New Delta Safety Video w/Deltalina Cameo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:11 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
This is a HUGE step backwards. Seriously Delta? Do they have the tacky bonzai tree, key chain sized carryon, red head triplets just to get people to pay attention. Deltalina was well staged, articulate, and professional. This is truly hideous. DL had a great thing going, Deltalina generated considerable buzz and was easy to understand. Major disappointment.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
SPOILER ALERT

Ok, some screencaps from the video - including the Deltalina cameo at the end.

Ok, one small continuity gripe. The altimeter rolls over from 9,999 to WI-FI yet the dial indicates an altitude of 6,390 feet.

Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
No desk in sight or mentioned. Here are the 3 Richard Anderson intros that will be in rotation:

Tech Ops:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=893l3...2&feature=plcp

OCC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT1Oj...4&feature=plcp

Flight Sim:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NrBP...3&feature=plcp
While no reference to the desk is a step in the right direction, he still loses credibility with the "always have your back" comment.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:32 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
I was dozing off last night before takeoff and woke up realizing that the safety video had changed. I missed the first half. I laughed at a few parts - especially the finger wag.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
^^^

I loved the Deltalina cameo. I hope that Delta rotates the two new versions with the original Deltalina video. I do miss the blond pilot at the end of the old video.

I dislike the airport experience - shouting, barking, loud taped loops of repetitive (and often inappropriate or useless) information, all in harsh bossy voices (the rare taped loops I encounter abroad don't have the same militant tone or loud volume). I'm tired of the idea that because the airport and flying are (gasp!) dangerous, we should be constantly vigilant and serious. What a relief to board and get one of these safety videos.

Kudos for Delta for demonstrating (once again) that you can be professional with a smile on your face. Like the Deltalina video, I am much more likely to watch all (or even part) of this video each time I fly. (Now the new unavoidable ads on the PTVs are a different story entirely).

For those rare (I hope) folks who criticize the humor: have you flown UA recently? Do you prefer their videos? Are you (or, more to the point, an infrequent or first-time flyer) more or less likely to watch them again and again?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Comments on the safety video (some serious, some tongue-in-cheek):

1) I enjoyed the humor built into the the videos, even though it lengthened them. This might, for a while, result in folks paying more attention.

2) DL still tries to walk the knife edge with respect to "here is some information that it important for you to know, but it's really unlikely that you'll have to use it, but we still want to to pay close attention." The euphemistic and nuanced "if cabin pressure changes..." is not the same clear message that some of DL's regional carriers use on the RJ's, "if we lose cabin pressurization..." The masks are not going to drop if cabin pressure increases... that's a cabin pressure change. The message should be that, if there is a significant drop in cabin pressure it will be difficult to breathe and you need to get the masks on promptly. Find a more tactful way of saying that, but don't sugar-coat the underlying message.

3) Similarly, telling PAX to inflate their lift vests "as you leave the plane" is not conveying the message that you should not inflate the life vest while in the plane, because you might drown if the plane is filling with water and the inflated vest pushes you up to the ceiling so that you can't get out the exit. Panicked people, fearful of drowning, are going to tend to inflate the vest immediately, and they haven't explicitly been warned not to. Fatalities as a result of this behavior have been documented.

4) Folks who, like me, complain of DL management not giving advanced notice of proposed policy changes should note the 2" x 3" x 6" rollaboard that is shown in version 1.

5) I'll get flamed for this, but I could do without the Deltalina cameo. She has had her moment of fame... time to move on.

6) I'm very glad that they didn't feel the need to put a mike in the pilot's hand at the conclusion of the video, like they did at the start of the old video.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:56 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
1) I enjoyed the humor built into the the videos, even though it lengthened them.
4m30s for a safety video?!? I'd be interested to know how long the old one was. It certainly didn't feel as long as this one is...
Old Nov 1, 2012, 9:10 am

Programs: DL PM, UA E- inhabitant
I'm leaning towards version 1, the lavatory scene owns it. However, I like the narrator in version 2 better. The elderly lady should have been holding a cocktail, not a glass of water. The woman with the boombox, she probably bought it new in the 80's!!
Old Nov 1, 2012, 9:14 am

There's no need for this video to be pushing 5 minutes!!! It's agonizingly slow, no matter the creativity. The safety video could be done in half the time with perhaps more effectiveness.

When you combine the epic safety video length with Richard's intro and the ninety seconds of commercials that follow, it's no wonder many of my flights taxi to the runway at 2mph!
Old Nov 1, 2012, 9:21 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Great new videos!! I'm glad they kept the boombox lady in both versions. The postage size carry on (or personal item rather) was a hoot.

Here's the score so far for the new Big 4 videos:

Delta - humorous and professional, but too long.

American - warm and inclusive, great to see all front-line employees are involved.

United - Short and sweet. Let's get through this because we have to.

US Airways - Cold and emotionless, but you should be ever so lucky to see a safety video because most of our planes do not have any entertainment systems.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by jjglaze77
4m30s for a safety video?!? I'd be interested to know how long the old one was. It certainly didn't feel as long as this one is...
Well...the "old" one was about 4:30. One of the "new" videos is 4:35 and the other 4:57
Old Nov 1, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium

I found the DL new safety video on The Ticket. Deltalina's great cameo (with mandatory finger wag) comes at 1:35:

http://theticket-atlanta.com/2012/11...-safety-video/
Old Nov 1, 2012, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by PTahCha

American - warm and inclusive, great to see all front-line employees are involved.
I don't like the American one much because it changes voices every few seconds. It's like they tried to have as many possible employees in the video, but I have to strain to constantly readjust listing to a different voice. My brain can only listen to so many different voices in a row.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
Thanks

FYI Huge thread on this already.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: Delta PM, Starwood Gold
There are some really funny parts.
I especially liked the old grandmother trying to sip her tea in the turbulence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.