Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

***NEW***Baggage rules January 2013 — Postponed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

***NEW***Baggage rules January 2013 — Postponed

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2012, 6:49 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, DL Diamond 2MM, PriorityPass, Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by aviatorzz
As pointed out in various other threads on this board, people stay away from posting in this forum because you are all a bunch of self-loathing whiners.

Tsk.. Tsk... Where is the civil discourse?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 6:49 am

Programs: DL PM, LY Silver
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
This will affect almost every single trip I make.

And I.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 6:59 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by GMill
And I.
Same here and it was cost serious time and money to adjust to this terrible plan.

It just amazes me that Aegean Air, Cyprus Air, SAS, and others do this for for me (when 2nd ticket is DL) but DL will not.

You know one thing on the money front is if DL is late with my luggage again where SAS or whoever is the last carrier, it is SAS that has to give me money for clothes and deliver my suitcase to my final destination.

Now when I go to MSQ next April, I will fly into FRA, have an 8 hour layover to catch Belavia Airlines to MSQ and be forced out into the main terminal waiting for the 2 hour check-in before I can go to the lounge. On the return, I will have to spend the night at FRA to make this work.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by jackplum
Isn't this a DOT reg that DL must follow? If so, those who decide not to fly DL because of the rule will still be faced with it on any other US airline.
It's not required by the new DOT rules, but the new DOT rules have made compliance so difficult that interlining bags onto a separate PNR creates too many problems and the likelihood of a violation of the rules.

Because DOT looks at the "itinerary" not the "ticket" once DL checks bags through onto segments separately tickted, those downstream segments are covered by the original baggage allowance. If you are ticketed AAA-BBB on ticket #1 and then BBB-CCC-DDD on ticket #2, the carrier flying you from CCC-DDD is theoretically bound by the AAA-BBB baggage allowance, but has no way of even knowing that the segment existed, that you flew it or what your allowance was.

Given that "ticket" is a defined term, widely understood and has existed since the beginning of commercial air travel, if DOT amended the rule to cover a "ticket" rather than an "itinerary" this problem would go away and frankly, it is likely that more consumers would gain than lose.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
A couple times on DL I haven not found availability DL to VCE so I booked to MXP and then bought a separate ticket on AZ -- so now I will have to pick up my bags at MXP and re-check them for the VCE flight - even though DL and AZ are ST partners?
There is no longer any regularly scheduled commercial service between VCE and MXP by air so problem solved! The newish train Freccia Bianca makes the journey in just over two hours Milano-Venezia.

Not interlining on a separate ticket is unfortunate however seems pretty much par for the course these days (EU carriers have been doing this for a few years now).
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:07 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by n7371f
And as for those people saying HA already has this policy in place - that hasn't been the case the two trips I've taken to the islands this year. In July I flew out of LIH on HA and changed over to DL on a separate ticket and my baggage was checked all the way through. Same thing out of OGG in January.
Here is a FT blog post about HAs rule change. Went into practice 8/1.
http://www.flyertalk.com/the-gate/bl...t-tickets.html
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:22 am

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by BobH
At DTW it has been for a long time -- think what it takes to transfer from Delta to any other airline that doesn't use the 'south' terminal -- or vice vs.

Bob H
I thought it was called "North".
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
This practice has already come to *A: US stopped in July. AC has changed policies a few times since 2006.
BA is also notorious for not interlining. I've never had problems, but I seem to be in the minority (status, maybe). I believe QF will not interline on separate tickets either. Frankly, I think folks need to prepare themselves for more of this across all carriers.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Often1
It's not required by the new DOT rules, but the new DOT rules have made compliance so difficult that interlining bags onto a separate PNR creates too many problems and the likelihood of a violation of the rules.

Because DOT looks at the "itinerary" not the "ticket" once DL checks bags through onto segments separately tickted, those downstream segments are covered by the original baggage allowance. If you are ticketed AAA-BBB on ticket #1 and then BBB-CCC-DDD on ticket #2, the carrier flying you from CCC-DDD is theoretically bound by the AAA-BBB baggage allowance, but has no way of even knowing that the segment existed, that you flew it or what your allowance was.

Given that "ticket" is a defined term, widely understood and has existed since the beginning of commercial air travel, if DOT amended the rule to cover a "ticket" rather than an "itinerary" this problem would go away and frankly, it is likely that more consumers would gain than lose.
Actually they do. Airline Tariff Publishing Company (ATPCO) was charged with creating the ticket fee database, and that's just what they did. I would also say, based on the extension letter from the airlines, that forward looking calculations wasn't really an issue. They already pull the information in when they interline the bag. What is a problem for them is looking backwards on the itinerary. I would assume the airlines were planing on seeing if fees had been collected so that they could make claims to them.

Roy LaHood (Secretary of DOT) is a Republican and was trying to craft a rule that would make the various airlines work out a private sector solution. LaHood is retiring and it's a big risk that the next Secretary will be in favor of a private sector solution. The Airlines may regret dragging their feet on this.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Xeno
It just amazes me that Aegean Air, Cyprus Air, SAS, and others do this for for me (when 2nd ticket is DL) but DL will not.
Why would it amaze you? I would think a tiny regional carrier like Aegean, whose business model relies on shuttling vacationers to the islands, sees a much higher percentage of sales coming from these sorts of tickets than a major airline like DL. They cater to it because it is part and parcel of their business model. It is a distraction and extra cost for DL.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:47 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Why would it amaze you? I would think a tiny regional carrier like Aegean, whose business model relies on shuttling vacationers to the islands, sees a much higher percentage of sales coming from these sorts of tickets than a major airline like DL. They cater to it because it is part and parcel of their business model. It is a distraction and extra cost for DL.
What kind of status and how much must I pay for DL to continue a service I depend on for my international trips?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What kind of status and how much must I pay for DL to continue a service I depend on for my international trips?
You could just buy a ticket to your final destination- that would solve the problem in 99/100 cases.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
You could just buy a ticket to your final destination- that would solve the problem in 99/100 cases.
If you read Xeno's previous postings in this thread, that is impossible because DL does not fly to some destinations. That is the problem that many people are talking about... you can fly DL to get close to the destination, but then have to go to another airline for the final leg. Now instead of staying in security, you have to leave (which will often involve immigration and customs), recheck at ticketing, and go through security again.

That makes what could previously be done safely with a 2hr layover impossible, and now require more on the order of 4hr.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:52 am
Suspended

I suspect you'd have to pay more than you are willing to and will simply have to start purchasing single tickets or schlepping your bags. Sorry.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rylan
If you read Xeno's previous postings in this thread, that is impossible because DL does not fly to some destinations. That is the problem that many people are talking about... you can fly DL to get close to the destination, but then have to go to another airline for the final leg. Now instead of staying in security, you have to leave (which will often involve immigration and customs), recheck at ticketing, and go through security again.

That makes what could previously be done safely with a 2hr layover impossible, and now require more on the order of 4hr.
I think you are misreading things. DL will still check through your bag to those locales, but the legs will have to be on a single ticket. The cost of those tickets can be prohibitive, but they are available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.