Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

***NEW***Baggage rules January 2013 — Postponed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

***NEW***Baggage rules January 2013 — Postponed

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TTT
For a Medallion there is no reason why you wouldn't call the Diamond line and have them do it. In almost all of the times I have tried the phone reps can replicate the fare that ITA was showing with no problems.

Even if you have to pay a little more for it all on one ticket it may be worth saving the hassle and improving IROPS should one of the flights be late.
Are you saying Delta phone reps will book tickets with segments on other carriers for flights that aren't code-shared? What about non-ST airlines? if I give them the info, will they really book me a ticket with a segment on US?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by Ascii
Are you saying Delta phone reps will book tickets with segments on other carriers for flights that aren't code-shared? What about non-ST airlines? if I give them the info, will they really book me a ticket with a segment on US?
Yes, absolutely, with the exception of many some of the carriers that Travelsig mentioned.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 9:42 am

I wonder if this new rule is only for interlining *within* the U.S. (to capture as much baggage fee revenue as possible) or is it for all destinations in the Delta system?

Myself, I only interline with separate tickets maybe once a year or so but I'm just now finishing a U.S. -> Singapore -> Vietnam trip (two separate tickets) that I was able to interline baggage through. Between the outbound & return flights in Singapore I stayed in the terminal transit hotels and didn't have to clear Singapore customs & immigration to fetch my bag to re-check them for VN.

Going forward, this is going to be a P.I.T.A. for plenty of travelers, especially those on international itinieraries. Hopefully Delta and the other American carriers will back down on this change. Will other International carriers (e.g. AirFrance, KLM, Vietnam Air, etc.) follow?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 9:53 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
ATTENTION!! ATTENTION!!

Would those of you presenting facts please stop. They are getting in the way of a good story.

(At the very least, give me a sec to go get a bigger spoon to stir the pot with.)
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:01 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Ascii
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Yes, absolutely, with the exception of many some of the carriers that Travelsig mentioned.
Yes - have done it quite a few times. CX is one example that sticks out that I have done. I think I also did it with BR once.

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
It appears that many folks here were not aware that DL is a TA, which personally surprises me.
I don't know if I would call DL a true TA but if there is an IATA fare filed for the route and provided it allows travel on other carriers, Delta can issue the ticket regardless of which carrier is flying some of the legs. The fare rules will stipulate the combinability with other carriers. For a sample US-Christchurch, NZ here is what the T fare allows:
ORIGINATING AREA 1 -
THE FARE COMPONENT MUST INCLUDE TRAVEL VIA
TRANSPACIFIC SECTORS ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY DL FLIGHT.
AND
THE FARE COMPONENT MUST BE ON
ANY AR FLIGHT
ANY DJ FLIGHT
ANY DL FLIGHT
ANY LA FLIGHT
ANY NZ FLIGHT.
ORIGINATING NEW ZEALAND -
THE FARE COMPONENT MUST INCLUDE TRAVEL VIA
TRANSPACIFIC SECTORS ON
ANY DL FLIGHT
ANY VA FLIGHT.

Unlike a true TA DL can't issue tickets on other carriers ticket stock. An example would be if you are flying UA outbound and DL return, Delta can't issue the ticket but UA could. I believe for Delta to issue the ticket the first flight in the ticket needs to be a Delta/codeshare flight.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:13 am

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
A few months ago, I flew on a DAL ticket from ATL to LHR, and a separate BA ticket from LHR to ARN. It worked fine, including the baggage transfer. If DAL won't do that anymore, there is a very simple solution. I'll just book BA the whole way--and get that nice 777 WBC experience between ATL and LHR--and BA can collect the fare instead of DAL. Simply (not) good business.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:21 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Unlike every decision the last 15 years, this one will actually drive bookings away from Delta.com and back to either phone agents or traditional travel agents. Unless one is dealing with a web-only fare special, a traditional travel agent can combine multiple carriers on one ticket and issue the ticket at the lowest (combined) fare.

So, for the first time since 1995, Delta has made a policy change that will actually drive business to travel agents. I may have to find one now. I am not in this situation very often, but it is a real need at times to use two different airlines, particularly internationally.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:07 am

Programs: DL Skymiles FO, Marriott Rewards, Hilton HHonors, Hertz #1 Club Gold
First they came to collect bag fees
And I did not speak out, because I usually carry on

Then they came for the FO second free bag
And I did not speak out, because I'm Double Diamond DYKWIA that gets at least two free checked bags

Then they came for interlined bags on separate itineraries
And I did not speak out, because I'm a DL apologist that only flies on one airline and it's Delta

Then they came for the most loyal FF's, and there was no one left to speak out for them.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:15 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
You could just buy a ticket to your final destination- that would solve the problem in 99/100 cases.
99/100 cases such a ticket can not be bough.
DL will not ticket airline XX.
Airline XX will not ticket DL.
Therefore, impossible to have both on the same ticket.

Vast majority of time that is why pax fly on different tix.

Other times it may be that to buy one ticket to final destination is, say $4800. To buy it to one city before final destination is $1200 and then just $60 for the final connector as a separate ticket. But if you get it ticketed by DL to final dest (IF DL can ticket airline XX, and often they can't), DL wants $3600 for that $60 flight (I've seen this numerous times).
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:18 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atl runner
A few months ago, I flew on a DAL ticket from ATL to LHR, and a separate BA ticket from LHR to ARN. It worked fine, including the baggage transfer. If DAL won't do that anymore, there is a very simple solution. I'll just book BA the whole way--and get that nice 777 WBC experience between ATL and LHR--and BA can collect the fare instead of DAL. Simply (not) good business.
This may be something that you need to do. In looking a lot of DL fares to Europe many exclude the use of BA if KL or AF can get you there.

For example, ATL-GLA does not allow segments on BA but does on KL via AMS. I imagine that is true for many destinations within western Europe too.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:25 am
Suspended

Does anyone remember when flying used to be simple?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:54 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by cmh flyer
What?

In Feb, I need to do CMH-LIH and KOA-CMH. Was looking for an award ticket but couldn't do the Hawaii part on Delta. Just this week I booked an award on Delta roundtrip CMH-HNL. The Delta agent told me this week I could book a separate ticket on HA but have my bags checked all the way through.

If I understand this new policy, as of Jan 1, this won't be possible?
KOA-CMH will have you paying KOA-HNL baggage fees on HA, collecting at the intra-island terminal and then re-checking with DL in HNL.

Beginning June 1, 2012, Hawaiian will not through check bags to other airline flights unless the other airline segments are on the same itinerary for which the passenger is checking in.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
The other point that people seem to be missing is the liability portion.

The reason that HA stopped allowing interlining onto / from their flights when on separate tickets is that if, for example, you were flying MCO-ATL-HNL-LIH and DL lost your bag... HA as the final leg carrier is responsible for both compensation and getting it to you.

In addition, a through-checked bag was not able to be assessed a baggage fee by HA (and we all know travelers to HI don't pack light),only one by the original operating carrier thus losing them valuable revenue.

On the return, the same thing is true for the 2nd operating carrier, HA may charge $25 to get your bag on LIH HNL but UA/DL etc... was getting no baggage fee $$...
Old Oct 26, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by Vuelos
KOA-CMH will have you paying KOA-HNL baggage fees on HA, collecting at the intra-island terminal and then re-checking with DL in HNL.

Beginning June 1, 2012, Hawaiian will not through check bags to other airline flights unless the other airline segments are on the same itinerary for which the passenger is checking in.
Too bad the Plat Elite phone agents don't know about this HA rule change.

I assume the same is true for outbound where we want to go CMH-HNL on DL & HNL-LIH on HA?

If we have to collect bags and recheck them - either way - how much time should be allow between our arrivals and departures?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 2:18 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmh flyer
Too bad the Plat Elite phone agents don't know about this HA rule change.

I assume the same is true for outbound where we want to go CMH-HNL on DL & HNL-LIH on HA?

If we have to collect bags and recheck them - either way - how much time should be allow between our arrivals and departures?
After Jan 15, 2013 the outbound (US-HNL HA connection) will also require you to reclaim and recheck your luggage. Prior to that, Delta will allow you to interline luggage to HA even on different ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.