Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

***NEW***Baggage rules January 2013 — Postponed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

***NEW***Baggage rules January 2013 — Postponed

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2012, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Plat. Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat. Hilton Plat. US Airways, Starwood Gold, Avis Pres
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
Unlike every decision the last 15 years, this one will actually drive bookings away from Delta.com and back to either phone agents or traditional travel agents. Unless one is dealing with a web-only fare special, a traditional travel agent can combine multiple carriers on one ticket and issue the ticket at the lowest (combined) fare.

So, for the first time since 1995, Delta has made a policy change that will actually drive business to travel agents. I may have to find one now. I am not in this situation very often, but it is a real need at times to use two different airlines, particularly internationally.
I "know" someone who can help...PM me when needed....thanks
Old Oct 26, 2012, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Plat. Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat. Hilton Plat. US Airways, Starwood Gold, Avis Pres
Originally Posted by ShootingStarZ
Does anyone remember when flying used to be simple?
Delta would respond: Just fly ALL DELTA and it still is....
Old Oct 26, 2012, 3:22 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by ShootingStarZ
Does anyone remember when flying used to be simple?
This thread is about the ability to buy a trip with seperate tickets then thru check the bags.

I doubt 1 out of 10000 have ever done this.

And those that have are not Mom and Pa Kettle.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
http://airconsumer.dot.gov/rules/Con...20Register.pdf

Delta is only following the law. I know we are not supposed to be political, but this is a current administration policy. IMHO an obvious unecessary regulation designed to protect the consumer. Expect other airlines to follow the law very soon after Delta complies.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO

Delta is only following the law. I know we are not supposed to be political, but this is a current administration policy. IMHO an obvious unecessary regulation designed to protect the consumer. Expect other airlines to follow the law very soon after Delta complies.
Where in that behemoth of a document is the law you are referencing?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Let's get real. This has nothing to do with the current administration policy.

This is being done for the same cost-cutting reason that has been done outside of the US years before January 20, 2009 and in the US before then too: to avoid being the carrier responsible for paying for mishandled bags.

This is a cost-cutting exercise by DL and was considered by DL for implementation long before January 20, 2009.

Here's another fact: even after January 20, 2009, AA arrived at a policy that allows for interlined bags on separately ticketed itineraries when dealing with other OW airlines. DL doesn't even want to deal with separately ticketed itineraries with regard to even some of the Skyteam airlines.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 26, 2012 at 4:12 pm
Old Oct 26, 2012, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by exwannabe
This thread is about the ability to buy a trip with seperate tickets then thru check the bags.

I too doubt that even 1 out of 10,000 have ever done this, just like I doubt your claim that those who do it are not "Kettles" -- most are "Kettles" from what I've seen asked at US airports in such circumstances.

It's still part of a cost-cutting exercise by the airline.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 4:00 pm

I don't know about this...before I got into the FF game, I would simply go to kayak or some other OTA and book the cheapest flight..on more than a couple occasions that involved taking off on one metal and connecting to a different metal...not part of the same alliance...so, it was actually back in my kettle days that I was most likely to do this. Of course, as a perpetual FO/GM I'm probably viewed as a kettle by all those above me in the medallion pecking order.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 4:03 pm

So the page in Sky magazine that says single check in for Skyteam partners needs to be changed now.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 4:19 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by CalVol
I don't know about this...before I got into the FF game, I would simply go to kayak or some other OTA and book the cheapest flight..on more than a couple occasions that involved taking off on one metal and connecting to a different metal...not part of the same alliance...so, it was actually back in my kettle days that I was most likely to do this. Of course, as a perpetual FO/GM I'm probably viewed as a kettle by all those above me in the medallion pecking order.
This is about seperate paper, not metal.

If one goes to kayak (or wherever) and books a flight it will be on one ticket regardles of carriers and the bags thru check even under the new rules.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive

To the contrary, they are likely often Ma and Pa Kettle, who don't know that by calling an airline or a TA they may be able to put flights on one ticket that online they can not get to book together on one ticket. They just book online and book the cheapest fare and perhaps every airline flight with each airline directly, or otherwise they book what they can get online.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jackplum
Isn't this a DOT reg that DL must follow? If so, those who decide not to fly DL because of the rule will still be faced with it on any other US airline.
That DOT reference is a line claimed by some political ideologues/ideological wannabes and industry apologists, a line they wish others to believe.

The fact of the matter is that this service element is being gutted by DL for the same reason it was done by non-US airlines that don't even fly to/from the US even five or more years ago: airline-pursued cost-savings, irrespective of the customer-unfriendly nature of the service reduction.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 5:18 pm

The current Secretary of the DOT is Republican Roy LaHood. The DOT is trying to get the airlines to get baggage fees under control. At least to the point where if you buy a the tickets you'll know what fees you'll pay at both ends of the trip.

DL should thank it's lucky stars that Obama didn't put Jim Oberstar in as Secratary of the DOT. Though if they did HIBRES would likely double in size.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:09 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by RealHJ
99/100 cases such a ticket can not be bough.
DL will not ticket airline XX.
Airline XX will not ticket DL.
Therefore, impossible to have both on the same ticket.

Vast majority of time that is why pax fly on different tix.

Other times it may be that to buy one ticket to final destination is, say $4800. To buy it to one city before final destination is $1200 and then just $60 for the final connector as a separate ticket. But if you get it ticketed by DL to final dest (IF DL can ticket airline XX, and often they can't), DL wants $3600 for that $60 flight (I've seen this numerous times).
I have seen this "two tickets are much cheaper than one ticket" quite often for international itineraries. It is very common in fact.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:13 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Exactly.

It is very rare that a one ticket itinerary cannot be booked and also there is no problem to combine multiple carriers. The only issue is with LCC- although in the USA I don't think this is nearly the issue it can be in Europe where we have Ryanair, Easyjet, Windjet, Wizzair, etc etc etc.
With all due respect you obviously have little experience with this. I know many airlines that can not be ticketed on the same ticket as Delta and they are not LCC's. I know three people who recently booked a trip to India with 3 tickets. Combination of price and interline ticketing issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.