Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

***NEW***Baggage rules January 2013 — Postponed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

***NEW***Baggage rules January 2013 — Postponed

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:57 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rylan
If you read Xeno's previous postings in this thread, that is impossible because DL does not fly to some destinations. That is the problem that many people are talking about... you can fly DL to get close to the destination, but then have to go to another airline for the final leg. Now instead of staying in security, you have to leave (which will often involve immigration and customs), recheck at ticketing, and go through security again.

That makes what could previously be done safely with a 2hr layover impossible, and now require more on the order of 4hr.
Just because Delta doesn't fly there doesn't mean you can't get it all on one ticket. Many fares (even the cheapest) are combinable with other airlines.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Try doing that on the DL.com website...

Realistically, using expedia or travelocity aren't an option anymore either since you don't know if you're getting one of those special reduced mileage/mqm fares, especially if combined with multiple airlines.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:15 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Try doing that on the DL.com website...

Realistically, using expedia or travelocity aren't an option anymore either since you don't know if you're getting one of those special reduced mileage/mqm fares, especially if combined with multiple airlines.
For a Medallion there is no reason why you wouldn't call the Diamond line and have them do it. In almost all of the times I have tried the phone reps can replicate the fare that ITA was showing with no problems.

Even if you have to pay a little more for it all on one ticket it may be worth saving the hassle and improving IROPS should one of the flights be late.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you read Xeno's previous postings in this thread, that is impossible because DL does not fly to some destinations. That is the problem that many people are talking about... you can fly DL to get close to the destination, but then have to go to another airline for the final leg. Now instead of staying in security, you have to leave (which will often involve immigration and customs), recheck at ticketing, and go through security again.

That makes what could previously be done safely with a 2hr layover impossible, and now require more on the order of 4hr.
I purchase many tickets that combine carriers which are not part of the same alliance etc- there are filed fares that can be booked- or call DL or get your travel agent to book it- the restriction may be on the delta.com website however there is not a restriction booking IATA filed fares.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by TTT
Even if you have to pay a little more for it all on one ticket it may be worth saving the hassle and improving IROPS should one of the flights be late.
I agree 100% with that because it's frustrating for us when we have an IROP and someone has a separate tix on OAL. When they miss that connection with them we cannot do anything but direct them to the OAL which will probably charge them to change to another flight. We can provide better customer service when everything is on one ticket.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by aviatorzz
You are going to be one tenth of one percent of DL travelers then provided that you are not flying skyteam the entire journey. And eventually star and one world.
Where does it state in the OP that this applies to Skyteam members for interlining on separate tickets?

I'll take a wager that it will affect FTers way more than 1/10th of 1%. We don't fly vanilla fares that often.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I purchase many tickets that combine carriers which are not part of the same alliance etc- there are filed fares that can be booked- or call DL or get your travel agent to book it- the restriction may be on the delta.com website however there is not a restriction booking IATA filed fares.
Exactly, though this only helps when it doesn't matter which TA issues the ticket, and you don't have to pay for getting a ticket over the phone. Delta is also a TA. I have found many times (though not always) that if I have to buy separate tickets because I'm going to a non-skyteam destination (meaning, no way to book online), Delta phone reps can issue a single ticket for the entire itinerary.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:57 am

Programs: DL PE, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, UA Prem, PC Plat
I'm rarely affected by this rule, but I can see why this will make traveling some itineraries on DL absolutely impossible (such as the MSQ-FRA-US itinerary Xeno is describing).

Given DL's desire to monetize high-value service, I'm really surprised they can't find a way to make this work with a fee, rather than an absolute prohibition. Or to make it available for HVCs or Diamonds or BE travelers, or some other narrowed group.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I'll take a wager that it will affect FTers way more than 1/10th of 1%. We don't fly vanilla fares that often.
Oh please. The average fare flown by your average FTer is something like Tampa to Tulsa, not Tahiti to Timbuktu.

There will be some folks inconvenienced, but this will not affect most flights taken by most FTers.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Oh please. The average fare flown by your average FTer is something like Tampa to Tulsa, not Tahiti to Timbuktu.

There will be some folks inconvenienced, but this will not affect most flights taken by most FTers.
So you agree that only 1 in 1000 FT flyers on DL will be affected?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 9:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by hoosiereph
I'm rarely affected by this rule, but I can see why this will make traveling some itineraries on DL absolutely impossible (such as the MSQ-FRA-US itinerary Xeno is describing).

Given DL's desire to monetize high-value service, I'm really surprised they can't find a way to make this work with a fee, rather than an absolute prohibition. Or to make it available for HVCs or Diamonds or BE travelers, or some other narrowed group.
DL has fares for MSQ-US.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Delta is also a TA. I have found many times (though not always) that if I have to buy separate tickets because I'm going to a non-skyteam destination (meaning, no way to book online), Delta phone reps can issue a single ticket for the entire itinerary.
Exactly.

It is very rare that a one ticket itinerary cannot be booked and also there is no problem to combine multiple carriers. The only issue is with LCC- although in the USA I don't think this is nearly the issue it can be in Europe where we have Ryanair, Easyjet, Windjet, Wizzair, etc etc etc.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There are places where DL and SkyTeam do not go, such as the Greek islands. Or places where it isn't sensible or convenient to take DL/SkyTeam, such as for travel to NZ from the USA, which seems to require taking KE through ICN, which is quite far out-of-the way. Other examples would include Katmandu from Asia, or South Ameica to Africa or Australia, where trying to use DL/SkyTeam would greatly exceed MPM and/or there is not published fare.
DL and DJ through Sydney will get you to New Zealand.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
DL and DJ through Sydney will get you to New Zealand.
You could also for that matter fly to San Francisco with DL and then transfer to an Air New Zealand flight on one ticket and one itinerary with no issues what-so-ever.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: DM/3MM
It appears that many folks here were not aware that DL is a TA, which personally surprises me.

Anyways, I think it might be helpful to provide a basic example based on a trip I took this year.

Delta does not fly to SBA. The JFK-LAX-JFK was $400 on DL. Seperately, it was around $300 RT LAX-SBA-LAX (and that was going up on American Eagle, and back on United Express). So we have three separate airlines here. I called Delta, they ticketed the whole thing on one itinerary/record (the UA and AA flights were not codeshares), and the total came to $700, which is the price I would have paid had I purchased these tickets separately.

There are pros and cons of issuing these types of tickets (mostly pros), but I have done this for many years, and it seems, based on the OP's posting, that in such an itinerary, you can still check a bag all the way through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.