Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

***NEW***Baggage rules January 2013 — Postponed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

***NEW***Baggage rules January 2013 — Postponed

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by chrisny2
Why the rolled eyes? Do you really expect a senate staffer/intern to know about the intricacies of every Executive branch regulation? (Especially ones that, being honest, don't affect a very large percentage of citizens.)

Hopefully you took the time to explain the issue to her and let her know why it is a problem - that is how you can spur action.
The is for her attitude. I did try to explain the repercussions this could cause, but the more we talked, the less interested she sounded. In the end, it was apparent from her comments that she just wanted to hang up the phone. I was polite, talked evenly and tried to engage her in the discussion. She simply was not interested.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL PM
Seems Delta is reconsidering. From https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...p/checked.html

Update: On October 25, 2012, Delta published a policy on delta.com clarifying the baggage check process for customers traveling on separate tickets. The publication stated that for travel on or after January 15, 2012, Delta policy would be to check a passenger’s baggage between the origin and destination points of a single or conjuncted ticket exclusively. Delta has since determined that it will postpone the implementation of the clarified policy in order to further assess implications, to better understand any applicable regulatory requirements, and to provide travel partners with additional time to evaluate potential adjustments to ticketing practices associated with such policy.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Is this for real? I really need this to be true.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 6:56 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by BOB W
The is for her attitude. I did try to explain the repercussions this could cause, but the more we talked, the less interested she sounded. In the end, it was apparent from her comments that she just wanted to hang up the phone. I was polite, talked evenly and tried to engage her in the discussion. She simply was not interested.
And why should she be (other than the fact that politocs have to suck up to voters)?

There is no regulation involved here (the new DOT rules clearly exclude seperate paper). It is about a corporation electing to no longer provide a very minor service that involves a highly discetionary purchasing decision by a very small number of people.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by Delta Points
You recently changed your baggage interlining policy, so luggage isn’t automatically transferred when a customer is traveling on another airline using two tickets. Have you had any complaints about that?

No, that issue hasn’t popped up.

Really!

http://www.elliott.org/blog/deltas-a...e-even-better/
In the last month, I've complained twice to Delta on the Plat line and asked that my comments and complaint be shared up the line.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by cmh flyer
In the last month, I've complained twice to Delta on the Plat line and asked that my comments and complaint be shared up the line.
If you really want to get heard, write a snail mail letter, which is what I'm going to do.

Allison Ausband, Vice President for Reservations Sales & Customer Care
Delta Airlines
Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport
1030 Delta Blvd.
Atlanta, GA 30354-1989

Remember to make your points nicely & cordially, so hopefully the message will come through loud and clear and not get filed in the recycle bin.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 7:08 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DJMeatBall
If you really want to get heard, write a snail mail letter, which is what I'm going to do.

Allison Ausband, Vice President for Reservations Sales & Customer Care
Delta Airlines
Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport
1030 Delta Blvd.
Atlanta, GA 30354-1989

Remember to make your points nicely & cordially, so hopefully the message will come through loud and clear and not get filed in the recycle bin.
I would save your letter for something else as they have already reversed this policy.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by mudpuppy
Ready, shoot, aim....
Old Dec 31, 2012, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by TTT
I would save your letter for something else as they have already reversed this policy.
If you look at the link, it clearly states Delta has postponed the policy changes, not reversed or abandoned it. There's a difference.

They'd very much like to implement it, and that's why our letters with good business-friendly points arguing against implementing it will help.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:12 pm

Programs: Delta gold, United silver
And the problem is that other airlines are jumping on the bandwagon. I've been told that United is changing its computer system so that agents can't check baggage through if on separate tickets. Doesn't help for delta to postpone if other legacy carriers implement.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 3:30 pm

Baggage fees on separate tickets for connecting flights within Delta

I booked two separate round tickets (BOS-DTW and DTW-ICN) with Delta. I was able to use my Delta mileage to buy the international segment (DTW-ICN) but not enough for the whole trip. So, I booked BOS-DTW on Delta separately.
Based on what I read, the baggage will travel to final destination, ICN since both flights are on Delta. I am wondering what kind of baggage fees will be applied, if any.
I am asking sincec Delta site baggage rules say, domestic baggage rule applies for separate tickets travel when an international flight passenger travels 'TO' the US. (I am assuming it is Not for outbound from US?)
Is there any way I can combine two tickets as one travel? Thanks
Old Mar 19, 2013, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Try this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ry-2013-a.html

Old Mar 19, 2013, 6:13 pm

baggage fee for two separate tickets for conneting flights:International to Domestic

I booked two separate round tickets (BOS-DTW and DTW-ICN) with Delta. I was able to use my Delta mileage to buy the international segment (DTW-ICN) but not enough for the whole trip. So, I booked BOS-DTW on Delta separately.
Based on what I read, the baggage will travel to the final destination, ICN since both flights are on Delta. I am wondering what kind of baggage fees will be applied, if any.
I am asking since Delta site baggage rules say, domestic baggage rule is applied for 'Separate tickets travel' when an international flight passenger travels 'INTO' the US. I know I have to recheck my bag after immigration/custom thing. Any confirmation about it? Is there any way I can combine two tickets as one travel? hanks

Last edited by yjoonlee; Mar 19, 2013 at 6:18 pm Reason: grammar
Old Mar 5, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion
What ever happened with this policy?

It's not clear to me what happened with this policy: there are posts above regarding its postponement but no follow up in regards to whether or not it's still postponed or if it was at some point implemented. And of course delta.com is essentially worthless for information on this topic. Any clarification anyone can provide will be very appreciated.

If the policy has been implemented, I have a scenario that I cannot see having been addressed anywhere in the thread so if anyone can give any guidance, I will appreciate that very much. I bought a ticket from KLM for round-trip travel from EWR to IST with a stop in AMS but because I live in Atlanta, I bought a round trip from ATL to EWR around the KLM flights. Sounds pretty simple: even though KLM is in SkyTeam with Delta, this policy says they won't check the bags through for me. But here's the interesting part: the EWR to AMS flight is operated by Delta. So when I get to ATL, is Delta going to tell me they won't check the bags through even though in EWR I would be picking them up from Delta and checking them back in with Delta? Clearly they would not be limiting their liability if they would not check the bags through to my final destination; they would only be doing that if they checked them just through to AMS for me and that then would be breaking up my EWR-IST ticket (which means I think they wouldn't even offer it and if they did I sure wouldn't accept it as I'd much rather handle the bags at EWR than at AMS). When it comes to bag check revenue potential, that certainly could come into play (but just potential, not actual as I won't actually be paying bag fees [Silver Medallion + Platinum SkyMiles American Express + everyone gets a bag between North American and Europe anyway]) but that would be true too for any Delta ticket + any other Delta ticket and on those the policy as I'm understanding it from this thread is that they'll let you continue to check through so it seems pretty clear that baggage fee potential isn't driving the policy and practice here.

Frankly, even if I do have to collect the bags at EWR, it's not a huge deal: we have slightly more than 3 hours in EWR and the good news about Delta at EWR is that it's a short walk from gate to baggage claim and then from there it's just a matter of popping up one level and getting the bags checked back in before a short walk back through security, which I find is mostly very fast there, and then that same short walk back to the gate. We (my wife and I) will even have time to grab an early dinner before we get on the flight to AMS; in fact, I'll probably just leave her in one of the restaurants in the terminal and rejoin her there after handling the bags. So all's well that ends well if I do have to get the bags. That said, since at EWR the Delta international flights and the Delta domestic flights are all together in the same terminal (something that is very strange to those of us from Atlanta) and no 2 gates are ever more than about 30 yard apart, if we don't have to get our bags and recheck them, we could have taken the flight that leaves ATL 2 hours and 40 minutes later than ours, even though it only gets in 36 minutes before our flight to AMS. Of course, while we could have made that quick connection, our bags may not have been able to plus that wouldn't have given us much room for delays, though if those were to arise, there are other ways Delta and KLM/Air France could get us to Istanbul, including via CDG, to which there is a Delta flight from EWR to CDG that is scheduled an hour and 7 minutes after our ATL-EWR flight is supposed to arrive, plus if things were to be considerably delayed on the ATL-EWR leg they could send us direct from ATL to AMS or CDG so I'm not overly worried that a delay on our ATL to EWR trip would have messed up our whole trip though again, the baggage making it with us would certainly have been a concern.

On the way back, even if KLM has this same policy now, it won't matter: I just need the bags checked from IST through to EWR and in EWR I'm going to have to collect them for immigration and customs before rechecking them to ATL. Well, I guess that after immigration and customs I might have check the bags a different place than if KLM checks them through to ATL for me but I will have time for that and again, I won't have to pay Delta baggage fees regardless.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 2:50 pm

How many bags are we talking about?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.