Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

***NEW***Baggage rules January 2013 — Postponed

Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Plat. Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat. Hilton Plat. US Airways, Starwood Gold, Avis Pres

FOR MULTI TICKETS****

(October 25, 2012) -- Effective for travel on or after January 15, 2013, Delta Air Lines policy will be to check a passenger’s baggage between the origin and destination points that are indicated on a single or conjuncted ticket exclusively. If a second ticket is presented for travel on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, the passenger will be advised that Delta will only check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). The passenger must collect the baggage at baggage claim for their first ticketed destination, and then re-check their baggage with the down-line carrier for the next flight.

Previously, in cases where a passenger presented more than one ticket to a Delta airport agent at the origination point, Delta would offer to check the baggage from the origin on one Delta ticket to the final destination on the second ticket, collecting both Delta’s and the other airline’s fees. This was done on a courtesy basis but has never been part of an official policy.

The policy update does not apply to interline itineraries, wherein the passenger has an entire journey on one ticket. In these situations, Delta will continue to check baggage through to the ticketed destination as normal policy.

This clarification of policy helps Delta ensure that checked baggage service is consistent for all customers.

Below are examples of a single-ticket and multi-ticket scenarios.

Single ticket example:

Ticket 1 - ATL-LAX on a Delta flight connecting to another airline operating LAX-NRT.
Delta Policy: Delta will check the baggage from ATL to LAX to NRT.

Multi ticket example:

Ticket 1 – ATL-LAX on a Delta flight
Ticket 2 – LAX-NRT on a different airline
Delta Policy: Delta will check the baggage for the ATL to LAX flight only. Upon the flight’s arrival at LAX, the passenger must collect the baggage at the Delta baggage claim and then proceed to check it with the down-line carrier for the next flight LAX to NRT.

Last edited by twoner32; Oct 25, 2012 at 4:08 pm Reason: should change title. sorry
Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
THANKS for posting this. It sounds like IATA is dead, as is the true spirit of "interlining".
Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Ah, another enhancement.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
This is a serious down grade in service. I have checked bags when fly DL to AA on destinations that DL does not fly like CUR.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:14 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by SpinzCity
THANKS for posting this. It sounds like IATA is dead, as is the true spirit of "interlining".
At DTW it has been for a long time -- think what it takes to transfer from Delta to any other airline that doesn't use the 'south' terminal -- or vice vs.

Bob H
Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
https://www.worldagentdirect.com/del...ilExtraId=1020
Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Ridiculous. What about separate tickets but both operated by Delta? The policy makes no statement about that, but it's a situation I occasionally find myself in.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by ashill
Ridiculous. What about separate tickets but both operated by Delta? The policy makes no statement about that, but it's a situation I occasionally find myself in.
Exactly. Or two separate tickets, but both on SkyTeam airlines?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
This is absurd. How much do I have to pay for a BE ticket to just get basic services? They already took the BE lounges away from us and now this??? Give me a break!!!!

I am getting better service on interlining from non-SkyTeam so now this will ruin close connections at places like ATH on my way to one of the islands.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would have hoped and expected that DL would at least check bags through for SkyTeam (and other partner) connections or for elites.

IIRC there are some rules about using miles or SWUs to upgrade and not being allowed to have other airline flights on the same ticket, but I'm not sure whether this has generally been enforced.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Why should DL handle your luggage if you have purchased a separate itinerary on AA. I totally get this.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
Why should DL handle your luggage if you have purchased a separate itinerary on AA. I totally get this.
There are places where DL and SkyTeam do not go, such as the Greek islands. Or places where it isn't sensible or convenient to take DL/SkyTeam, such as for travel to NZ from the USA, which seems to require taking KE through ICN, which is quite far out-of-the way. Other examples would include Katmandu from Asia, or South Ameica to Africa or Australia, where trying to use DL/SkyTeam would greatly exceed MPM and/or there is not published fare.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:39 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
This is counter to industry norm. Even if it was a "courtesy," it was always the expectation.

Hawaii could be especially affected by this.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:43 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
More like RyanAir every day
Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:44 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There are places where DL and SkyTeam do not go, such as the Greek islands. Or places where it isn't sensible or convenient to take DL/SkyTeam, such as for travel to NZ from the USA, which seems to require taking KE through ICN, which is quite far out-of-the way. Other examples would include Katmandu from Asia, or South Ameica to Africa or Australia, where trying to use DL/SkyTeam would greatly exceed MPM and/or there is not published fare.
That does not prevent one from booking the entire flight on a single ticket, though I admit I would often book split tickets to use the preferred booking channel for each carrier/aliance.

Did not Hawain Air already put some such policy in place?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.