Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MQM Valuation Based on Fare Paid Now Showing on Delta.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MQM Valuation Based on Fare Paid Now Showing on Delta.com

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold (LT), Nat EL Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DLCorpGirl
Hi, all. It's been a while. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We're working to get to the bottom of it but one thing is certain - it is incorrect. Hope to have it resolved soon. I'll check back again once we know more.

Probably ought to repost this every two or so posts because new folks to the thread will miss it. (a bit tongue in cheek, but with a bit of truth also...)

Some of you are correct... there is always evidence of a conspiracy if you look for it. (Note, I'm not taking a stand on the actual 'good or bad' of this, just saying that whatever your bias when looking to explain things, it's yours. It's just human nature...)
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by davetravels
If this is indeed true, as many stunts as they've pulled, it's simply unfathomable that they would do this before Jan 1.
Oh it's fathomable baby
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yeah, and this also seems to redefine the fare bands, which in the past always seemed to be Y / B M/// H Q K /// L U T ////////E.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by james318
No problems here logging in.
I was able to log in, but my first try said they were unable to.

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I know this won't apply to most of you, but I was fortunate enough to be targeted for the 1000 bonus mile per segment promo through November 30th. If this true for flights booked after 9/1, that has to be one of the quickest and nastiest bait-and-switches in the history of airline loyalty programs. I understand the need to incentivize the most profitable flyers to fly Delta, but how can they explain implementing a promo like that only to then stealthily pull the rug out from under our feet?

Has anyone booked AND flown a flight since 9/1?

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
At least us segment qualifiers apparently won't have our medallion level affected since a flight on a T fare, while only worth 31 MQMs, is still worth 1 MQS!
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Correct, I am both.
We'd welcome your participation even if the answer had been neither.

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by DLCorpGirl:19259076
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
{{{{DLCorpGirl}}}} you are amazing and probably beautiful!
Correct, I am both.
Picture please.
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Hi, all. It's been a while. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We're working to get to the bottom of it but one thing is certain - it is incorrect. Hope to have it resolved soon. I'll check back again once we know more.
You just saved some business. Although 5 of my next 8 flights are booked with AA and I can not stand AA. I can not deal with the miscommunication from such a large company. That's the problem, too large, and when you are too large you could care less to communicate important program changes. I only expect a modicum of customer service on the forefront of program changes, but that has not been the case.

MIA,OMA,ORD,LAS,and PHX are all booked on AA, oh and TLV...so 6 flights. Not that you care but I need to go to YVR and AUS as well, not sure if I want to book on Delta and all of my tickets as of late have been high fare buckets.

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Oh it's fathomable baby
^
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by JDErickson:19259069

What kind of compensation will we receive for this miscommunication?
+1
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:43 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by bubbashow
When another business is doing well, McDonald's actually adopts it and adapts to it. Look at the premium coffee market that McD's has largely entered over the past two years.

If the hot dog vendor (NK) has higher margins than McDonald's (DL) (AND THAT FACT IS INDISPUTABLE BY ANY OVER-ENTITLED LUT ELITE), then maybe McD's has to look at what the hot dog vendor is doing.
Profit margins are deceptive because Delta's costs are much higher than NK's and there is little left that Delta can do to bring its costs down. The fixed costs are part of why I think low level elites (who don't actually get much in the way of perks in the grand scheme of things) are good for Delta. Delta is paying for Richard Anderson (although apparently they didn't have to buy him a new desk, so they saved a little cash there), the rest of its corporate overhead, the pilots, the FAs, the ground crew, the gate, the fuel, and the other costs of getting a plane off the ground regardless of whether the plane goes out full or half empty. Delta wants first and foremost to sell as many seats at high prices as possible -- so yes, adding the Diamond level and juicing MQM's for highest fares were good moves in my view. Once you've exhausted the high end buyers, however, the rest of the seats are better filled with loyal LUTs (who will often overpay a little chasing medallion status) than with the expedia customers buying only whatever is cheapest.

Originally Posted by bubbashow
When another business is doing well, McDonald's actually adopts it and adapts to it. Look at the premium coffee market that McD's has largely entered over the past two years.

If the hot dog vendor (NK) has higher margins than McDonald's (DL) (AND THAT FACT IS INDISPUTABLE BY ANY OVER-ENTITLED LUT ELITE), then maybe McD's has to look at what the hot dog vendor is doing.
Well that's not quite what I meant by the comparison. McDonald's as a large international corporation has to adapt to be able sell products in different markets. This gives them a large cost infrastructure that the hotdog vendor simply doesn't have. As I'm not familiar with NK I'll use WN as an example. It flies one kind of aircraft. That reduces its training and maintenance costs. No amount of fiddling with the skymiles program will overcome that advantage. If Delta tries to increase its fees on lower elites and kettles, how will they compete with WN out of ATL?
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Incorrect?

As in "not supposed to happen at all"?

Or, as in "not supposed to happen this soon"?

Count me in the ranks of those believing that this was just an inadvertent preview of what is in the works but, nonetheless, thanks for listening and posting.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
First, if anybody thinks Delta doesn't watch Flyertalk, you are full of it

Lurkers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.