Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MQM Valuation Based on Fare Paid Now Showing on Delta.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MQM Valuation Based on Fare Paid Now Showing on Delta.com

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by GatorBlues
I'm done with loyalty to Delta if this is the new program. My Reserve AMEX will be going back and I'll buy the cheapest fares from now on, which usually are not on Delta. This truly is short sighted on DAL's part. Sure, Delta should want to keep too many people from becoming Platinum or Diamond so that the biggest perks are reserved for the most profitable flyers. However, Silvers and Golds will pay a little extra for Delta flights, and fill the seats in the back of the plane, due to the perceived perks of being medallion. That's the point some of you are missing. If you're a Platinum or a Diamond, why do you care that there are tons of Silvers? They are always behind you on the perks list and the occasional perks they get keep them loyal to Delta and drive revenue. The premium customer pays more for a seat, which is good. The loyal LUT customer pays for a seat that would often otherwise have gone empty, which is also good. Delta needs to incent both behaviors. This new program, if it's actually the new program, will gut the loyalty from the LUT flyers and lead to less demand for the coach seats. Less demand means empty seats or cheaper fares to fill them.

I can't be the only one who will see no more reason to pay a little extra for a DAL flight if this is the new plan; I think there will be scores of us. Southwest must be licking its chops over its decision to come to Atlanta -- a huge group of customers who previously would have considered SW to be the last resort only if Delta was way overpriced on a flight will now see SW as being on equal footing.

Hopefully those who say this is nothing but a mistake and is not a glimpse of the future program are correct.
But the Kettles will pay more in fees than the Silver or Gold will pay extra for the flight. Net win for DL.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
didnt you just say that you flew on a T fare? how elite is that?
please, don't try to make bubbashow feel LESS elite, it's all he's got
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:15 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
I just flew and my MQM's were totally devalued by 75%

I flew N class and received 0 MQM's that's 0.75 x what I used to get.

I am outraged
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:18 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Delta needs to incent both behaviors. This new program, if it's actually the new program, will gut the loyalty from the LUT flyers and lead to less demand for the coach seats. Less demand means empty seats or cheaper fares to fill them.
Perhaps premium coach i.e. an aisle seat , bag, and the occasionally rare upgrade is as good as it will get for Silver and Gold.

Maybe premium coach will "incent" you if and when Delta starts selling it.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:19 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by bubbashow
But the Kettles will pay more in fees than the Silver or Gold will pay extra for the flight. Net win for DL.
I disagree. You can have a low end Skymiles AMEX to avoid the bag fees. (And AMEX drives a fortune in revenue to Delta, so those card perks aren't going anywhere.) There aren't any other fees to worry about. Plus, to the extent fees are added, it only makes SW that much more attractive as an alternative. Delta has had its way with pricing in Atlanta thanks to loyalty from Silvers and Golds. If this is the new program, it will be price and only price driving people's decisions. Given Delta's higher costs, fighting to fill the last 1/4 to 1/3 of its planes based primarily on price seems like an odd choice.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by squatch
please, don't try to make bubbashow feel LESS elite, it's all he's got
No, I think you have missed my points entirely over the last 1750+ postings. It is sad that is the only thing some have. It has made them so dillusional they have trumped their own worth in their own mind and fallen head over heels for a marketing scheme. Really actually sad.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:20 pm

I disagree. You can have a low end Skymiles AMEX to avoid the bag fees. (And AMEX drives a fortune in revenue to Delta, so those card perks aren't going anywhere.) There aren't any other fees to worry about. Plus, to the extent fees are added, it only makes SW that much more attractive as an alternative. Delta has had its way with pricing in Atlanta thanks to loyalty from Silvers and Golds. If this is the new program, it will be price and only price driving people's decisions. Given Delta's higher costs, fighting to fill the last 1/4 to 1/3 of its planes based primarily on price seems like an odd choice.
Look at the profit margins of NK, and tell me it doesn't work.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:21 pm

What? No they don't.
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
"We are unable to log you into your account at this time."

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Re-qualified for Gold about two weeks ago.

Plan of action:

1. Confirm if this is really happening.

2. If it is happening, cancel my non-essential booked weekend to SJU traveling on a U fare. Will eat the $150 fee.

3. For the rest of the year on essential trips, generally choose DL since I still get Gold benefits and SC membership (expires in December), but I will no longer be tied to DL. If the times and fares on another carrier are more compatiable with me, I will book that. Except for one WN BUR-SMF r/t, I haven't flown another carrier domestically in 3 years.

4. In January, status match to UA.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Very true. And NK's online award search is amazingly good (just came out). It is the complete opposite of DL's. Of course the miles expire within 3 months, but 2,500 miles is cheep.

And the vast majority of people will click on whatever is $50 or $20 cheeeeper.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:24 pm

You might as well compare McDonald's with a hot dog vendor.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by jeff30189
First, this is the most obvious clue to date that a revenue based Skypesos program is more than a rumor and is in fact on the very near horizon. It's coming, and we just got a preview of what it will look like. Last one out don't forget to turn off the lights!

Second, are you really (REALLY?) surprised that DL IT botched this "test" and somehow the pilot program went live? The level of web-based ineptitude hits a new low with each unfixed bug and each newly discovered "enhancement".

Finally, are you also really (REALLY?) shocked that DL would unveil a new program with no notice to its customers? The fact that some agents did get notice of a change supports the growing suspicion that we are about to get pounded with a massive overhaul of the Skypesos program. It will be sudden, it will be swift, it will be poorly thought out and even more poorly executed, but make no mistake it's coming soon.

I will hit 1MM on my next trip, make Platinum for next year (assuming they dont redefine that mid-stream), and spend 2013 on a status match to AA or UA.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Has anyone looked at earnings from E fares? I would expect that to go first.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:26 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
"We are unable to log you into your account at this time."
No problems here logging in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.