Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MQM Valuation Based on Fare Paid Now Showing on Delta.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MQM Valuation Based on Fare Paid Now Showing on Delta.com

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Because we all know who you are..
Totally.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 1:21 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
Could you expand on how it has gotten better in the last five years? Not being critical, I just would like to hear the positives. The only things I can think of are 1) upgrades on award tickets, and 2) rollover MQMs (although some would argue this is a negative).
A program which will remain nameless had upgrades on awards. Then they were taking away when the best of the two programs were merged to create the :-:Best in Class:-: new Skymiles program.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 2:05 pm

Programs: Charter/Former 4 time DL Diamond now Platinum, AAExecPlat, MM+ on three carriers, more ...
Originally Posted by yohanson
Just for the halibut, I added up my spend on Delta this year and I'm at $12,178.62. $9851.73 for business and $2326.89 personal. Not a lot and the personal MQMs earned this year account for about 45% of those MQMs earned. I've flown and booked about 124K MQMs (62 MQS) with just over 17K of that rollover. The rest are BIS.

I had a lot of gaps in my business travel this year but until recently, most of my flights were the less than 500 mile variety. The personal travel have all been cheap fares including one to CPT and another coming up to SIN.

Edited to add that the number of flown plus booked MQS is actually 74. Right at this moment I'm at 95,134 MQMs.

Edited a second time because I didn't include the spend for a personal trip I took to DC this spring. It was a weekly fare special so it was only about $200. I'm on my laptop in the SC and I don't feel like remoting into my pc at home to look at the exact amount. I may have missed some others but these numbers are really close.

Your numbers, and mine, and the other posts, suggest that the norm is a spend of about $12,000-$15,000 to reach Diamond, or an average of around 8-10 MQM per $1.00.

If you spend $500 to get 5,000 MQM on a RT NYC-LAX run, you are getting that normal rate of MQM return. I suspect the issue is that those who use sLUT fares are beating the 10 to a dollar rate.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 3:10 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum
I have thousands of miles that have accumulated in my US Bank Visa card account.
If I book Delta flights on USB website, it appears that they are booked through Expedia...does that mean that the EQMs will be only 25%?
Previously, any flights booked would accrue 100% EQMs.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 9:53 pm

Programs: skyteam
delta 25% mileage credits

Delta now is giving 25% on L U T booked through Expedia ebookers or 3rd party agents
Same class booked through Delta site should get 100%
This is mentioned tucked away on their website
Old Sep 30, 2012, 9:59 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Pictures/Link please
Old Sep 30, 2012, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like old news on unpublished fares. Third party website fares still earn full MQM's as long as they are published fares. Nothing to see here, move along folks.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...er-2012-a.html

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/ways_t...shed/index.jsp

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 30, 2012 at 10:06 pm
Old Oct 4, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: skyteam
Delta has new policy from 1st September on fares sold through agents of reduced miles but not on fares published on their sites
But it seems they are going to apply it to tickets bought from their site
Old Oct 4, 2012, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by azimax
Delta has new policy from 1st September on fares sold through agents of reduced miles but not on fares published on their sites
But it seems they are going to apply it to tickets bought from their site
How about some specifics please.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:38 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Think this through

Originally Posted by bubbashow
Oh, I hope they go to a reduced earning on LUT. Thin the herd. I just don't think MQMs would be 25% of 25%.
Just as long as you realize that this means forcing people to the cheap-o airlines, which will reduce DL loads, which means fewer flights, and fewer aircrafts, and fewer upgrades for those remaining...

I often wonder if DL isn't just using FT as an unofficial focus group...
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:50 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by oh912flyer
Just as long as you realize that this means forcing people to the cheap-o airlines, which will reduce DL loads, which means fewer flights, and fewer aircrafts, and fewer upgrades for those remaining...

I often wonder if DL isn't just using FT as an unofficial focus group...
Your argument and many others have been made repeatedly over the course of this thread and in many other threads. I tend to agree with you except there may be many passengers who are hub/route captives or people on corporate contracts who don't have much choice. It remains to be seen how much business DL would actually lose by implementing something like this, but it's clear that DL is going to to what it thinks best for its bottom line (as it should) and whether that thing actually is the best for its bottom line will remain to be seen.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Your argument and many others have been made repeatedly over the course of this thread and in many other threads. I tend to agree with you except there may be many passengers who are hub/route captives or people on corporate contracts who don't have much choice.
Or people that don't let the FF program tail wag the dog. The vast majority of fliers probably needn't care.

For the infrequent flier, choosing on FF program rather than price is almost always a bad deal. I'd go so far as to say that anyone earning less than 25k miles per year should choose only on price, schedule, and comfort. The expected value from the FF miles simply isn't worth chasing them.

For the frequent flier, it sort of depends how you fly and how much you value your time. I, for one, am not prone to sacrificing either time or comfort to fly on a particular airline. Now the presence of elite status can increase the comfort, pushing an airline to the front of the pack, but I don't make a habit of flying sub-optimal routings or paying more for loyalty.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
Could you expand on how it has gotten better in the last five years? Not being critical, I just would like to hear the positives. The only things I can think of are 1) upgrades on award tickets, and 2) rollover MQMs.
I'll bite:

1. Miles don't expire anymore.
2. 1.5 times class of service bonus for biz class compared with 1.25 on NWA
3. 500 mile minimums per segment regardless of elite status.
(not 100% sure if this was a change.)
4. More non-alliance partners (like VA) for redemption.

Yeah, I know this list isn't terribly impressive, but it's all I can think of...
Old Oct 23, 2012, 2:23 pm

Who knows. I do know I booked and ILM to BIL trip last week flying today. Normally it books me to a LUT fare, but this trip booked K and B on tHe return. The ticket was $1300. If I would be earning 25 to 50 percent on my expensive LUTs I would have flow. US and saved $200. We shall see.

I will probably spend $8,000 to $9,000 this year to make FO. That is not much in the grand scheme, but it should be enough to make FO
Old Oct 23, 2012, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by bubbashow
And when you carry a Medallion card, it will actually mean something. You will actually be worth something to the airline.

If this is rolled out next year, THANK YOU DL! Thank you for eliminating 80 people lining up for SKY boarding, thank you for eliminating upgrade lists 70+ long, thank you for deciding to make the bold move of making your elite program actually elite.
Oh PLEASE! Not another "thin the herd" posting!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.